where does the food come from on Asian based cruises

Sdman36

My background is I have lived overseas in the Philippines for more than 3 years, I was born and raised in the US. I will be taking a NCL cruise in Dec out of Singapore. My question is, especially on meat, where does the cruise line source the food. I ask because when I buy beef here in the Philippines the vast majority comes from Australia, and  it has a different taste and texture, than what I'm use to in the US. I'm not saying one is better than the other, its more like what one is use too. I am sure this is true for cruisers from other parts of the world as well. So does any one have information/knowledge on how food/meat is sourced in different parts of the world for the cruise ships.

We took the Jewel last year from Singapore to Hong Kong and my Filipina wife said it was the best food we had on any of our 18 cruises.  Don't know where the beef was from, but there was a large variety of Asian food, all very good.

During a cruise last year on the NCL Sun the Officers and Captain held a Q & A for the passengers.   The question of sourcing food around the world came up and the answer given by the Officer in charge of that was that all food is sourced in the USA (not necessarily from the US but sourced there) to ensure consistency and the logistics team at the headquarters ensures that containers of supplies are put on ships to arrive just in time in the countries and ports or call.  Almost everything is either canned, refrigerated, or frozen. 

Take that for what it's worth, but that is what he said.

Edited by Aesop081

I also attended a q&a where they said the food was sourced from the US, then distributed over the world for loading on ships.

As I remember they said the beef was from Colorado.

I agree beef from the US tastes better to me also.  But I preferred the chicken and lamb from Europe compared to US versions.

Edited by majmaj4
Add info