Cruise Critic Community
CruzerDeb

Just Booked My First Solo Cruise!

I'm so excited to have to just booked my first solo cruise!  This will be my 6th cruise (5th on Carnival). Just a nice short winter getaway in January - 4 days on the Victory, going to Key West and Cozumel. I'll admit to being a little nervous . . . 78 to go!

I sometimes take my ex, but usually cruise solo. It's the only way to go. You'll have a great time for sure and probably meet a lot of people, maybe even making a friendship that allows you to cruise with them. I did so years ago and met a lady that I cruised with a couple of times after that. Enjoy your cruise.

2 hours ago, yogibear said:

Did they charge you double as a solo traveler ?

Karen

Yes, you usually pay double. I don’t fret over single supplement, I look at the price per day, and there is no place I could go as a solo, and get a better deal, even if paying for 2, than a cruise. A cabin, different ports, food all day, and entertainment. I have been cruising solo since 2010, and wouldn’t have it any other way.

Edited by crzndeb

My first and only solo cruise so far was also on a 4 night Key West-Cozumel itinerary when I was single. I was also nervous when I arrived at the port that day, all by myself, asking myself what I was doing. But I had one of the most fun cruises of my life. I met some great people who I’m still in touch with today (and that was 16 years ago!).

It was SO nice to do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, without having to coordinate with other family members or friends. I went sightseeing and took a snorkeling tour in Cozumel. 

Once in a while I still wish that I could take a solo cruise again. But now with a wife and small children, I don’t see it happening any time soon. So you go and have a wonderful time! 

Edited by Tapi

I was nervous the first time too but I went on Splendor from NY. (2014)  I'd been on 3X so I knew my way around and did a 5 day Canada as a solo.  I was hooked.  Did the 8 day repo to San Juan the next month.

Lately I've been cruising solo on Pride from Baltimore and I've really come to prefer it.  Meet a ton of new people every cruise and see the same ones quite a bit.  

I love doing my own thing and don't have to hear.."What are WE doing today?"  LOL

8 hours ago, yogibear said:

Did they charge you double as a solo traveler ?

Karen

Yes, it was 2x the fare; I chose an inside on the Lido (my favorite place to be) - Lido was $1.00/pp per day, which was fine by me!

I tend to be an introvert, so I'm not sure I'll actually meet any new people.  I have YTD; I'm not sure if I'll eat in the MDR or just go to the buffet. I know I should make myself get dressed up and go to the MDR. One thing is for sure, since I booked an inside cabin I will NOT be spending all my time in my cabin, because that would just be too depressing. LOL. 

1 hour ago, CruzerDeb said:

I tend to be an introvert, so I'm not sure I'll actually meet any new people.  I have YTD; I'm not sure if I'll eat in the MDR or just go to the buffet. I know I should make myself get dressed up and go to the MDR. One thing is for sure, since I booked an inside cabin I will NOT be spending all my time in my cabin, because that would just be too depressing. LOL. 

If you eat in restaurants solo normally, it isn't different on board.  

I did my first solo on the same ship and itinerary.  Also had an inside.  You will love it.  

In Key West, I did the walking tour excursion.  There were several couples on it as well.  We ended up hanging out after the tour was over and had a great time.  I had intended to head to Paradise Beach in Cozumel, but it rained the day we were in port, so I stayed on board until it was later int he day, then ventured out for some port shopping.

Dinner was great.  I had a table with several other singles and a family of 3.  Lovely conversation every night.

Enjoy!

On 11/3/2019 at 8:57 AM, CruzerDeb said:

Please give a review after your cruise. I've been debating taking a solo cruise out of NY and I'm a total introvert. 

I'm an introvert as well and I love travelling solo. I can be sociable when I want but I also don't have to worry about hampering someone else's fun when I'd rather just sit in a corner with a cocktail and people watch. It might sound corny, but I set goals for myself so that I don't spend too much time by myself such as drinking my first drink of the evening while seated at the bar or not eating dinner in the buffet by myself.

Good for you ! I've got my first solo cruise coming on the the 30th. Very much looking forward to answering to no one but myself! I'll be sure and share my experience. I'm an extrovert and love meeting new people so I can't wait. 

About half my cruises have been solo. There is nothing like answering to no one but yourself. I get to do what I want, when I want. My last cruise was a 14 day solo out of Miami - loved all that time to myself!

I have sailed solo 12 times on the Carnival the last 5 on the Pride out of Baltimore.  I have also sailed with friends on 5 times all have been amazing.  I always get assigned seating so I at least am guaranteed to meet folks in the dining room.  i have to say my table mate who usually fellow single travelers or small groups of friends have all been just amazing.  Interesting backgrounds and experiences.  I find it a next balance I don't have to worry about anyones schedule but I get to enjoy interesting conversations and fellowship for a couple of hours.

Whatever you decide to do you do what makes you happy and relaxes you.

4 hours ago, Jamericannn said:

I would love to try a solo cruise one day. It would likely be on a 4 days or less cruise though.

This is  4-day; just need to look out at the beautiful ocean, have my feet in the sand and the sun on my face. 

Very cool. I've traveled for business by myself for about 25 years but never cruised solo - unless you count the harbor cruise I did in San Diego by myslef. LOL. On the Myers Brigg scale, I am the maximum level for extrovert so I never have trouble meeting people. Look forward to reading your review! Check out my tag line for teh link to my review of the same cruise you are doing.

PS - Hubby and I leave tomorrow for our cruise out of New Orleans - first time going there so we are excited!