Sydney airport. Shuttle

azgrandmax3

We just got back from Sydney two days ago and made the mistake of taking a taxi from the airport to our hotel near Circular Quay during rush hour.  I had read that it should be about $40 to $50 AUD and considering the convenience of that to the $19ish AUD per person for the train after a long flight made sense.  What I didn't factor in was that traffic would be miserable at the time we arrived (rush hour!) and it took us almost an hour to get to the hotel, so our taxi fare was close to $140 AUD!  In hindsight we would have taken the train had we even thought about traffic.

We did take the Princess shuttle from the ship to the airport.  We got it onboard for $24 AUD per person, not much more than the train which we were prepared to take.

I don't know the cost of other shuttles but we saw several both at the port and at the airport.  Hoping someone can come up with a name of a reliable company for you.

56 minutes ago, pink845 said:

AZbirdmom,  You mentioned you took the Princess shuttle to the airport. Were you docked at White Bay or OPT Circular Quay.  What time did your ship arrive and what time did the shuttles start operating.  

We docked at Circular Quay and the ship was docked by 6 AM.  First Princess transfer bus was scheduled to leave at 6:40 AM.  Our's was scheduled for 7:45 AM but our group was called 10 minutes early surprisingly.

The shuttles operate from both the Overseas Passenger Terminal and White Bay. If someone is going from the airport directly to the ship, or vice versa, the Princess shuttle is a good price. We usually get a taxi.

I would have been horrified at a taxi fare of $140 and would have asked the driver for an explanation. Heavy traffic might result in a $70 fare, but I think either the driver drove around the Sydney CBD a few times or something else was wrong. 😁

5 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I would have been horrified at a taxi fare of $140 and would have asked the driver for an explanation. Heavy traffic might result in a $70 fare, but I think either the driver drove around the Sydney CBD a few times or something else was wrong. 😁

We paid $Aus120 in March for a taxi from Sydney Airport to Holiday Inn on the Rocks in similar circumstances...morning rush hour on a wet miserable morning. Watched the meter. Our fare included a tip ( Yes I know there is no need to tip in Australia.)

Our driver did not take the long way around, we knew where we were going.

Had been told the fare should have been $50-60 but that definitely wasn't our experience.

Would also be interested in hearing about an airport shuttle to Circular Quay area if anyone has recent experience.

Just now, Reina del Mar said:

We paid $Aus120 in March for a taxi from Sydney Airport to Holiday Inn on the Rocks in similar circumstances...morning rush hour on a wet miserable morning. Watched the meter. Our fare included a tip ( Yes I know there is no need to tip in Australia.)

Our driver did not take the long way around, we knew where we were going.

Had been told the fare should have been $50-60 but that definitely wasn't our experience.

Would also be interested in hearing about an airport shuttle to Circular Quay area if anyone has recent experience.

The domestic terminal has a desk where you can buy a ticket for the shuttle. It is in the baggage collection area. There should be one in the international terminal as well. This shuttle would probably be quite good. A few years ago we booked and pre-paid for a  shuttle with Kingsford Smith Transport. We had to wait a couple of hours for the shuttle bus on the trip from the airport to the ship, then again after the cruise. This company may not be in business any more. The shuttle company operating from the airport would be good, but I don't recommend booking and paying ahead.