Cruise Critic Community
CrusingHank

Celebrity Equinox 10/25 Ship stabilization !!!

By no stretch of the imagination am I an expert but my wife and I have been on enough cruises ( 14, 2 Carnival, 1 Princess, 1 Holland America, 2 Norwegian & 7 Royal Caribbean + the Equinox)  to say this ship had the most movement of any cruise we have been on, making it difficult to walk a straight. The seas weren't even rough, we loved the ship and everything about it but don't know if we would return because of the movement. Has anyone else had this issue ?

5 minutes ago, CrusingHank said:

By no stretch of the imagination am I an expert but my wife and I have been on enough cruises ( 14, 2 Carnival, 1 Princess, 1 Holland America, 2 Norwegian & 7 Royal Caribbean + the Equinox)  to say this ship had the most movement of any cruise we have been on, making it difficult to walk a straight. The seas weren't even rough, we loved the ship and everything about it but don't know if we would return because of the movement. Has anyone else had this issue ?

I have been on Equinox and other Solstice class ships and they were among the most stable I sailed on. I have 60 cruises to compare on multiole cruise lines. Perhaps something was wrong with the stabilizers. 

I was on the Equinox 9/23 sailing recently, I thought the same thing...lots of movement..first sailing I ever had to find something to help...Bonine bought onboard did the trick. 

32 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I have been on Equinox and other Solstice class ships and they were among the most stable I sailed on. I have 60 cruises to compare on multiole cruise lines. Perhaps something was wrong with the stabilizers. 

thanks for your response, will look to see if there was an issue with the stabilizers

We returned from a cruise on the Equinox just 9 days ago. We had a cabin on deck 8, one of those forward facing cabins with a slanted window. Had zero issues with the ship rocking/pitching. Have completed at least 25 cruises and have experienced ship movement but not on our recent Oct 14 eleven night Caribbean cruise.

5 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

...Bonine bought onboard did the trick. 

Is it no longer given out free at Guest Relations or the medical center?

This is the first time I have heard of anyone needing to buy it on a Celebrity ship.

Previously it was always provided at no charge (under the generic name, meclizine) to everyone who wanted it.

I have sailed on Equinox a number of times, including fairly recently.  Same for all the other S class ships.  The Equinox is no different as far as movement.  People don't always realize that the motion of the ship is not dependent solely on wave height.  It also depends on what direction the waves are moving in vis a vis the ship's direction, what kind of waves they are (don't know the nautical term, but basically rolling or swells versus breaking) as well as the wind and how it is hitting the ship (i.e., straight on, from the side, etc..).   I have sailed in 15 foot seas where I could barely tell we were at sea.  Conversely, I have sailed in 6 foot seas where I needed to take a Dramamine because the ship was rocking so much (I am very susceptible to motion).  

And yes, medicine is available free from Guest Relations - a generic brand of meclizine which is the same as Dramamine II.  They will give you a couple days worth at a time.  They also sell it for anyone who thinks they need a name brand.

Edited by phoenix_dream

9 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

And yes, medicine is available free from Guest Relations - a generic brand of meclizine which is the same as Dramamine II.  They will give you a couple days worth at a time.  They also sell it for anyone who thinks they need a name brand.

Thanks for letting us know it is still being provided and there is no need to buy it in advance.

The stuff provided on the ship works fine for us and all our travel companions so none of us care about a name brand.   Maybe that is because almost all our regular prescription medications seem to be generic ones these days.

Even though I keep the meclizine in my bedside nightstand to have available if needed, in recent years I have found that in rough seas ginger is usually sufficient for me,, along with wearing seabands.

Maybe we build up resistance to seasickness with increased cruising as we are all a lot better now than we used to be when we first started cruising.

Maybe it is better stabilization of the newer ships, or perhaps a combination.

But whatever the reason, we are all delighted that we don't need to use that heavy duty stuff that caused bad side effects for so many cruise passengers.

Edited by varoo

As others have noted, wave height, wave direction, wave period, swell height direction and period, ship speed and direction, and wind velocity and direction can all affect how a ship reacts.  How two ships react to seas is difficult to predict scientifically, and in person, unless you have both ships at the same place at the same time, going the same speed and direction, you can't compare various ships.

Further, stabilizers are not designed to, nor will they, stop rolling.  Stabilizers are designed to slow the roll period (time from one side to the other) to a comfortable condition.  Cruise ships, with their high center of gravity tend to be very "stiff" ships, that will roll very rapidly from side to side without stabilizers.  Stabilizers do not have sufficient mass or torque to stop tens of thousands of tons of ship from rolling, they will simply add a small amount of counter-roll force that is out of synch with the ship, to prolong the roll period.  In increasing the roll period, they will reduce the magnitude of the roll somewhat, but not to a great degree, and certainly not completely.

21 hours ago, CrusingHank said:

Solstice class, of which Equinox is a part of, happens to be one of the most stable ships I have been on (almost 100 cruises to date). I experienced 16 foot waves once while on the Equinox and the ship cut through them like butter. The sea/air conditions during your sailing most likely caused the movement you experienced. Keep in mind, even though the wave height may have not seemed high,  the period between waves can easily cause movement. 

16 hours ago, varoo said:

Is it no longer given out free at Guest Relations or the medical center?

This is the first time I have heard of anyone needing to buy it on a Celebrity ship.

Previously it was always provided at no charge (under the generic name, meclizine) to everyone who wanted it.

I didn’t think to check with either of those, just found it in the liquor store on board and purchased..I needed relief. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

We boarded the Equinox on the 24 th also and thought is it was one of the rockier cruises and am not usually bothered but on the 4th or 5th night My friend went down to the medical facility and got me some meds that helped me sleep much better.It seemed like a lot of shaking at night.We are on still on board doing our 2nd cruise and it is much smoother! 

Edited by sdnich

We were on the eleven night EQ cruise ending on 10/25 and had a wonderful smooth cruise for the whole time. Deck ten.   It was a beautiful smooth cruise.  I agree the S-class ships are great on all accounts.  It was our eighth time on her and our favorite.  
We do carry mecilzine and seabands with us every cruise.   Just in case.  Sometimes I use the seabands in the car on a long trip.  

Doesn’t hurt to get a patch behind the ear. Prescription needed.  

22 minutes ago, SunSandSea said:

Don't be so sure.....  About 10 years ago I took my (now) wife on her first cruise - 14 day South America Buenos Aires to Valparaiso (on the Infinity).  Since she claims to get "delicate" on the subway (or the "el" here in Chicago) - she came prepared with the patch.

From day 1 she wasn't doing well and felt very "seasick".  By day 3 I said to her - "I don't think you're seasick.  When you're seasick you don't really want to eat, and you haven't missed a meal".  I guess in retrospect I might have phrased that more diplomatically - fortunately she still laughs about it to this day.  We didn't know - but suspected it might be the patch.  She took it off and went to the gym to try to sweat it out of her system.  By the next day - and for the rest of the cruise - she felt great.

I'm not suggesting anyone not use the patch - just that not everyone reacts to it the same way.  Be aware if you think it might be affecting you adversely.

Also - on a related note.  The only time she was in fact seasick was on a particularly rocky cruise in Alaska - also on the Infinity by chance.  She was pregnant with our second son and would not take any medication for seasickness.  Sea bands, green apples, and ginger all failed to help at all.  Someone suggested she see the acupuncturist on board.  Neither of us were believers in that sort of thing - but at that point she was willing to try almost anything.  That definitely made a believer out of her.  Almost instant relief.  She needed one or two more visits over the length of the cruise - but she said it worked miracles.  For what it's worth....

Mike

1 hour ago, SunSandSea said:

Side effects of the patch can run the gamut from mild (dry mouth) to severe (hallucinations).  Different people react differently to scopalomine, the active ingredient in the patch, which is a "truth serum".  Many people have reduced the side effects of the patch by placing a round bandaid behind the ear, and then placing the patch partially on the bandaid and partially on skin.  Only the portion of the patch on the skin will transfer scop, reducing the dosage.  You can then experiment with placement of the patch (more or less on the bandaid), depending on whether your nausea continues or whether your side effects continue.

On a side note, the Bonine I mentioned worked wonders for me...no drowsyness, etc...kicked in very quickly...

1 hour ago, mandream said:

Don't be so sure.....  About 10 years ago I took my (now) wife on her first cruise - 14 day South America Buenos Aires to Valparaiso (on the Infinity).  Since she claims to get "delicate" on the subway (or the "el" here in Chicago) - she came prepared with the patch.

From day 1 she wasn't doing well and felt very "seasick".  By day 3 I said to her - "I don't think you're seasick.  When you're seasick you don't really want to eat, and you haven't missed a meal".  I guess in retrospect I might have phrased that more diplomatically - fortunately she still laughs about it to this day.  We didn't know - but suspected it might be the patch.  She took it off and went to the gym to try to sweat it out of her system.  By the next day - and for the rest of the cruise - she felt great.

I'm not suggesting anyone not use the patch - just that not everyone reacts to it the same way.  Be aware if you think it might be affecting you adversely.

Also - on a related note.  The only time she was in fact seasick was on a particularly rocky cruise in Alaska - also on the Infinity by chance.  She was pregnant with our second son and would not take any medication for seasickness.  Sea bands, green apples, and ginger all failed to help at all.  Someone suggested she see the acupuncturist on board.  Neither of us were believers in that sort of thing - but at that point she was willing to try almost anything.  That definitely made a believer out of her.  Almost instant relief.  She needed one or two more visits over the length of the cruise - but she said it worked miracles.  For what it's worth....

Mike

You raise very good points.  I would recommend anyone who is going to try a prescription medicine to try it out on land first to see how it affects them.  I tried it once and it didn't help me at all, so am back to meclizine (Dramamine II), ginger tablets, and sea bands when it is really rough.  My mother--in-law years ago also tried the patch.  It helped her seasickness but it affected her like she had drunk a six pack all in one sitting.  It is a fairly strong medication but I know it helps many people.

2 hours ago, mandream said:

Mike

Sorry she had an adverse reaction to the patch! At least it wasn’t what it was with my aunt when she was on a cruise and thought she was seasick but was still eating well...

9 months later? My cousin arrived. 

our last six cruises have been on the Equinox, never had a movement problem, other than in windy, rough seas conditions.

It was windy last week and there were some very large swells that were hitting us broadside on the sea days. I sat on the verandah and watched/counted the swells. Usually they come in sets of 7 or so... with the largest around 7. I couldn't find a "set", they ALL seemed large. With the added speed at night it's no wonder we were feeling the seas.

On 11/4/2019 at 11:55 AM, sdnich said:

We boarded the Equinox on the 24 th also and thought is it was one of the rockier cruises and am not usually bothered but on the 4th or 5th night My friend went down to the medical facility and got me some meds that helped me sleep much better.It seemed like a lot of shaking at night.We are on still on board doing our 2nd cruise and it is much smoother! 

this was the sailing we also were on, I thought it was me and I was going crazy !

On 11/4/2019 at 2:00 PM, PTC DAWG said:

On a side note, the Bonine I mentioned worked wonders for me...no drowsyness, etc...kicked in very quickly...

That's why we prefer Bonine if we ever need anything to help.  Dramamine can cause severe drowsiness with us.