Which Monkey/Sloth Company to Use?

cdoobiest

We are looking at Monkey/Sloth Tour and Snorkeling.  I notice different tour companies use different Monkey/Sloth options.  Daniel Johnson has it's own.  Victor Bodden uses their own.  Rony's use MANAWAKIE E-CO PARK SLOTHS AND MONKEY PETTING.  Are they all different.  Any preference on which one to use?  I plan on private tour so I am sure I can ask which one we want.  Also, I want to make sure animals treated properly.  Are they all reputable companies.  I heard about Little French Key and the way animals are inhumanely kept which I want to stay away.  Thanks

• Like 1

Hi,

As a woman going solo on my cruise, my husband wants me to stick with Carnival Excursions. But, I want to see Sloths and the island in general. Carnival doesn't offer a Sloth Tour.

Can the recommended tour guides fit me into a "Group" tour? I wouldn't feel at all comfortable booking a private tour, even with a reputable company. Yet, IDK if a private group, who booked, wants someone tagging along. 

Any ideas??

Thank You,

🌻🌻

Bobbi 

8 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Hi,

As a woman going solo on my cruise, my husband wants me to stick with Carnival Excursions. But, I want to see Sloths and the island in general. Carnival doesn't offer a Sloth Tour.

Can the recommended tour guides fit me into a "Group" tour? I wouldn't feel at all comfortable booking a private tour, even with a reputable company. Yet, IDK if a private group, who booked, wants someone tagging along. 

Any ideas??

Thank You,

🌻🌻

Bobbi 

Would posting in your roll call of of worth? 

Yes and no.  Yes, they pick up at the port but you have to walk through the gated area first.  It is a bit of a walk with a steep hill.  Carnival does this so you purchase their excursion. 

Good news, all excursions (private or through Carnival) drop off at the same place.

• Like 1

Carnival's Mahogany Bay requires you to meet the independent tour operators outside the gate but they will return you to the port and reducing the walk. Victor Bodden's tours are solid. I've used them 4 times. If you want to hold a sloth at Victor's Monkey jungle you must get there before 11am. The sloths retire after that. They are very sweet and don't weight anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Hi,

I started a Roll Call. No one has joined me yet.  

Does Victor Bodden Tours pick up from the Cruise Port?

🌻🌻

Bobbi

The distance from the ship to tour operators depend n which port. 

When is your cruise? 

Remind me, what are your concerns? 

Hi,

I just read all the answers.

I'm just going to do something with Carnival.  🤔🤔. I'm just not ok walking to somewhere else to meet for the Sloth or actually ANY tour. The physical walking no problem, just didn't feel all that comfy in Belize walking the City with 2 other people last time. So going by myself .... 

I'm sure I'll be back in Belize on another Carnival cruise in the near future (with hubby, our son or friends).  So, I'll save the Sloth visit till then .....and my husband will be relieved that I'll stick with Carnival Excursions.

I do thank you guys!

🌻🌻

Bobbi

9 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

I'm with Carnival in Feb 2020. I'm a 62 year old woman going by herself. Who does not feel comfortable getting into a taxi etc by herself in Belize.

I understand this concern. 

Many of the locals are very accommodating, it is possible Daniel Johnson can make special arrangements for you. I recommend you contact them to ask, cause there is no harm in asking.  :O) 

• Like 1

Hi again,

I reserved FUN 'N SUN tour with Bodden Tours in Roatan.  I got my solo confirmation this afternoon!  I liked that the Tour will spend our time with the Sloths & other animals/birds, sightsee, then go to a beach in the West Bay. Banarama (?) Beach Resort was mentioned.

The email said they pick up 1 hour after the Ship's arrival ..... so 9:00am. It's a 4-5 hour tour, of course brings all of us back. 

$30 for the transportation, chair at the beach. Anything else I pay for, which as a non-drinker is just fine. As that was usually the most expensive cost for me. 

One Excursion down, 2 to go! 

Thanks everybody ....

🌻🌻

Bobbi

11 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Hi again,

I reserved FUN 'N SUN tour with Bodden Tours in Roatan.  I got my solo confirmation this afternoon!  I liked that the Tour will spend our time with the Sloths & other animals/birds, sightsee, then go to a beach in the West Bay. Banarama (?) Beach Resort was mentioned.

The email said they pick up 1 hour after the Ship's arrival ..... so 9:00am. It's a 4-5 hour tour, of course brings all of us back. 

$30 for the transportation, chair at the beach. Anything else I pay for, which as a non-drinker is just fine. As that was usually the most expensive cost for me. 

One Excursion down, 2 to go! 

Thanks everybody ....

🌻🌻

Bobbi

Enjoy your day on the island! 

• Like 1

I just wanted to add...there will be A LOT of cruisers walking out the gates and up the hill to meet their tour guides. So you won't ever be walking alone (if you are picturing going outside the gate, no one around, getting kidnapped or whatever...that is not the issue here). The vendors will be lined up, off to the side of the road, and holding signs. You look for the sign with your vendor and if you can't find it...you can ask any of the multiple vendors in that area and they will always point you to that person and even sometimes give them a call if they can't be located (but 99.9% of the time they are there because they are waiting on you). 

This will give you a visual:

How to exit out of the Carnival port:

roatan%20port-L.jpg

Once you get to the road, you can take the road up or they have stairs that you walk up since it's a hill. 

Then once at the top and coming down you will see the vendors on the side of the road:

9698494164_eec9959dd0_c-L.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

I just wanted to add...there will be A LOT of cruisers walking out the gates and up the hill to meet their tour guides. So you won't ever be walking alone (if you are picturing going outside the gate, no one around, getting kidnapped or whatever...that is not the issue here). The vendors will be lined up, off to the side of the road, and holding signs. You look for the sign with your vendor and if you can't find it...you can ask any of the multiple vendors in that area and they will always point you to that person and even sometimes give them a call if they can't be located (but 99.9% of the time they are there because they are waiting on you). 

This will give you a visual:

How to exit out of the Carnival port:

roatan%20port-L.jpg

Once you get to the road, you can take the road up or they have stairs that you walk up since it's a hill. 

Then once at the top and coming down you will see the vendors on the side of the road:

9698494164_eec9959dd0_c-L.jpg

Are you sure the first pic is Mahogany Bay? 

2 hours ago, SandyOutToSea said:

Hi all!  I am also confused on which Roatan Monkey/Sloth Park to visit!  Has anyone been to more than one that can give me a pro/con comparison?  

As far as I know Daniel's is the only one helping animals, unless Maya Key has sloth. All the others are only about entertaining tourists. I recommend you choice Daniel's. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the photos, sure appreciate the {corrected} visuals.

It took awhile for me to decide to do a tour with a local Sloth Company. So, even though I now read that I unwittingly chose the "only for entertaining tourists" Tour Company, I'm sticking with Borden Tours. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be the rude American Tourist ... 🙁

Bobbi

9 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Thank you for the photos, sure appreciate the {corrected} visuals.

It took awhile for me to decide to do a tour with a local Sloth Company. So, even though I now read that I unwittingly chose the "only for entertaining tourists" Tour Company, I'm sticking with Borden Tours. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be the rude American Tourist ... 🙁

Bobbi

Bodden has a fantastic reputation. 

Enjoy your visit to the island. 

By the by : I may have spoken out of turn, I recently saw a post suggesting Gumbalimba has several programs to help their animals. I don't know any specifics though. My apologies,  I'm pretty much anti zoo and that perspective shades everything.