Which Monkey/Sloth Company to Use?

cdoobiest

10 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Thank you for the photos, sure appreciate the {corrected} visuals.

It took awhile for me to decide to do a tour with a local Sloth Company. So, even though I now read that I unwittingly chose the "only for entertaining tourists" Tour Company, I'm sticking with Borden Tours. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be the rude American Tourist ... 🙁

Bobbi

Add to Guest's comments on Victor Bodden:  He doesn't abuse any of his animals.  The times we have been to his place, it was clean and the animals were healthy.  We have seen at other places where animals appear to not be kept up or abused.  SIL went on a tirade once over watching some young zip line guides give a young monkey beer, so it could act silly for entertainment. 

Beer for entertainment?  When I was in high school a friends brother would exhale (via his mouth to cat mouth {sick enough} pot smoke into their own cats mouth. That was over 40 years now. I never forgot that bit of "entertainment". 😳😥😥

Now, what am I going to do with this information on a guide giving beer to a monkey?

Was it ONE stupid guy? Is it Company wide ...unwritten policy of course ... take liberty with the animals to entertain the guests (without lasting physical damage)? 

Anybody??  Should I switch my Sloth Tour to Daniel Johnson, the compassionate Company?  I read nothing but excellent reviews on Bodden. But, Crewsweeper post has me having second thought. 

Thanks,

Bobbi 

So at Daniels, I see on his webpage that it's $30pp just for the "Hangout". But I read some trip advisors posts and they mentioned something about going to the hangout and also kayaking in the mangroves. I don't see anything about this on his page. He mentions snorkeling and also an island tour. Anyone know about this?

Has anyone done the snorkeling with him? Is it in deep water? I kinda remember asking about this awhile back and I "think" someone said the snorkeling is right out in front of his place there.

We're doing the Hangout in February so DW can finally hold a sloth :classic_rolleyes:.

He used to be only on FB.  Now there's this

https://monkeyandslothhangout.com/home/

I think the snorkeling is off shore and then a stop at Las Palmas. There's a dock at his place but no beach. One of the mangrove tours is via open canoe.

32 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

We're doing the Hangout in February so DW can finally hold a sloth :classic_rolleyes:.

He used to be only on FB.  Now there's this

https://monkeyandslothhangout.com/home/

I think the snorkeling is off shore and then a stop at Las Palmas. There's a dock at his place but no beach. One of the mangrove tours is via open canoe.

But where can you find info on the canoe and mangroves? I don't see it listed.

On 11/19/2019 at 2:42 PM, mitsugirly said:

But where can you find info on the canoe and mangroves? I don't see it listed.

Hand dug canoes, hand whittled paddles, very difficult for my wife in the wind, not really very enjoyable and we love doing these type things.   Snorkeling wasn't anything special at all.   No colored reefs, not many fish.   The guides worked extremely hard in a difficult situation.

However, the sloths & monkeys were great.   I would just do that and save time and $$.

On 11/19/2019 at 12:41 PM, mitsugirly said:

So at Daniels, I see on his webpage that it's $30pp just for the "Hangout". But I read some trip advisors posts and they mentioned something about going to the hangout and also kayaking in the mangroves. I don't see anything about this on his page. He mentions snorkeling and also an island tour. Anyone know about this?

Has anyone done the snorkeling with him? Is it in deep water? I kinda remember asking about this awhile back and I "think" someone said the snorkeling is right out in front of his place there.

Hi Kim, we did snorkeling at Daniels a few years ago after hanging out with the sloths and monkeys. It was pouring rain so everyone else bailed so it was just the 2 of us with a guide.  We did snorkel not far from his place as the boat was around the corner.  You could actually see Little French key from there.  Even with no sun it was great. The boat was really an old clunker driven by a little old man who was a relative but it was so personal we didn't care. Great reef and for the price it was good.  I'm sure if it was sunny would be even better.  It helped make an entire day excursion.  On the way back our driver stopped at a resort to have a monkey la la cocktail and she just hung out waiting for us. It made for a nice day as she gave us info on the island.  Very laid back.

I cancelled my Victor Bodden's Fun 'n Sun Excursion. Then booked Daniel Johnson's Hangout Tour. Just the Sloth-animal place -- no add on's needed. Since my main goal was to see those adorable sloths!  

And, afterwards I have lots of time to relax & check out Mahogany Bay beach. Find myself a chair & plop it under a shady tree (I hope). 😎🤗

I feel very very comfy with this change. Best of both for my Roatan day.  😍 So, thank you for helping me make my decision! 

Bobbi

Edited by Markmom18
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 10:43 AM, crewsweeper said:

Add to Guest's comments on Victor Bodden:  He doesn't abuse any of his animals.  The times we have been to his place, it was clean and the animals were healthy.  We have seen at other places where animals appear to not be kept up or abused.  SIL went on a tirade once over watching some young zip line guides give a young monkey beer, so it could act silly for entertainment. 

I

When did this happen??? Did she report this? We have known him for a long time and Victor personally would never condone this action. 

2 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

I

When did this happen??? Did she report this? We have known him for a long time and Victor personally would never condone this action. 

Wasn't at Victor's.  DW and SIL always had good tours with Victor. Another zip line. Years ago now. 

• 2 weeks later...

We used Ronys tours In March and hired a private driver for the day.  One of our stops was manawakie to see the sloths.  There were only two other families there.  It was awesome.  Our guide was friendly.  We were never rushed.  It was a great experience.  We then headed to west bay beach.  But it was a busy day so a lot of the beach clubs near the easy access snorkeling was full.  So we ended up at a place further down.  If you click my signature you can find my carnival magic review and it will tell you where we needed up.  We really wanted to snorkel so we paid some locals to take us out to the reef.  We went past where everyone was snorkeling and docked our way further.  It was awesome.  No crowds.  Lots of coral.