Bean Counters vs Diamonds

seeyakids

18 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Take away matching status.  All passenger's status should be based on their actual cruise credits, not a spouse or mom and pop or someone at the same address.

I get the spouse matching rule. That makes sense.

But the children?  I'd say any cruise before they turned 12....or 16...or 18 (however Royal defines kids) shouldn't count. Or maybe have the rule that it takes 2 nights for 1 point since the kids either sailed free or as a very cheap 3rd & 4th passenger.  Or some combination of those two, i.e. nothing under 12 counts, between 12-18 it's 2 nights-for 1 point, etc

1 minute ago, Tulsacoker said:

I dont 

If someone is a Diamond, they should be able to bring their spouse into the DL.

Unless, of course, they are trying to getaway from their spouse for some "alone" time. 😀

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

I dont 

My husband and I have cruised the same amount of times but he has more points than me. When our kids were little we would get a suite but it usually didn't sleep 5 so we had to get another cabin in addition to the suite. With RC rules one of us had to be listed on each room. He got double points.

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

If someone is a Diamond, they should be able to bring their spouse into the DL.

I dont, doesn't matter if its a spouse or cruise mate,  if you are not diamond on your own tough. I dont see how I can marry someone and me being D+ and my new wife never cruising she is D+ also.  C&A status is earned. 

4 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

My husband and I have cruised the same amount of times but he has more points than me. When our kids were little we would get a suite but it usually didn't sleep 5 so we had to get another cabin in addition to the suite. With RC rules one of us had to be listed on each room. He got double points.

Sorry but then I would have flipped flopped who is listed in the suite 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

On Vision class you can make your own overflow; grab your drink in the DL, then sit in the adjacent showroom. 

Temporary table with drinks set up in the adjoining lounge with Rhapsody...munchies in the DL.  😉 It's a nice set up and seems to work well.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

I dont, doesn't matter if its a spouse or cruise mate,  if you are not diamond on your own tough. I dont see how I can marry someone and me being D+ and my new wife never cruising she is D+ also.  C&A status is earned. 

Sorry but then I would have flipped flopped who is listed in the suite 

We did and once the kids were old enough they had their own cabins. He is only ahead by a few.

Edited by ownedbypets
spelling

6 minutes ago, lifes-a-beach said:

Who cares.  I just go in, get my coffee and leave.  Not interested in sitting in there with people I don’t even know.  

You may not know them at the beginning of the cruise, but you can have some very nice friends by the end of the cruise.  We've met some really fun people in the Diamond Lounge and certainly hope that continues.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This is very interesting. On our last cruise this month the Diamond Lounge held 40 people on the Grandeur and there were over 800 Diamond, Diamond plus and Pinnacle members on board! I think the "get there first" response is unrealistic, How about you?

Bucknwanda

• Like 5

1 minute ago, bucknwanda said:

This is very interesting. On our last cruise this month the Diamond Lounge held 40 people on the Grandeur and there were over 800 Diamond, Diamond plus and Pinnacle members on board! I think the "get there first" response is unrealistic, How about you?

Bucknwanda

why? someone is first and if you want to sit in the lounge (for what ever reason ) and you know there is a lot of D on board and the lounge gets full then that's what you have to do. 

43 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I get the spouse matching rule. That makes sense.

But the children?  I'd say any cruise before they turned 12....or 16...or 18 (however Royal defines kids) shouldn't count. Or maybe have the rule that it takes 2 nights for 1 point since the kids either sailed free or as a very cheap 3rd & 4th passenger.  Or some combination of those two, i.e. nothing under 12 counts, between 12-18 it's 2 nights-for 1 point, etc

Now that bold part right there is some impressive, uniformed, unrealistic, head in the sand whataboutary!

Additionally, what you're saying is go ahead and give the spouse matching status - even if the spouse has NEVER cruised before.

However,  kids that might have achieved enough nights before 18 (or 21 when they can use the lounge to it's full benefit) to become Diamond in their own right should go fly a kite?

S.M.D.H

Edited by NateUpNorth
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

To not play favorites .. we have to fair here

It's not a case of favourites.

What is fair is :-

D+ have spent more than double the nights on RC than D so loyalty should come first in a 

Loyalty Lounge.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bucknwanda said:

Bucknwanda

Definitely, our last cruise on Symphony had over 2100 Diamond and above. They used the DL, Jazz on 4 and  the Attic every night for D & D+ overflow, There were so many Pinnacles that Dazzles was used for them every night. There were still a few nights we used the vouchers and sat at the Wonderland lounge area.  We like to use the vouchers in the specialty restaurants. This was on the TA.

1 hour ago, matj2000 said:

Do you really want to go on a cruise

Just to sit in a isolated room with a bunch of people bragging on how many RC trips they have been on?

Right?  The D Lounge is the LAST place I'd want to hang out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goofyfanatic said:

Ok so I just made Diamond last week on my cruise. I am a perfect example of the problem with the current structure. My DW and I took one cruise in 2001 and then started to cruise again in 2016. In basically three years we became diamond. There are just too many of us for what the ships can handle for a lounge. Plain and simple. As far as I am concerned take away the lounge for those Diamond and leave them for the D+'s but keep the three free drinks on our cards and like I have heard from another post give us one free coffee drink at Latitudes or Starbucks. . No skin off of my back.

Well said.Very sensible post.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, matj2000 said:

Do you really want to go on a cruise

Just to sit in a isolated room with a bunch of people bragging on how many RC trips they have been on?

No but the free drinks make it more palatable.🍺🍾🍷🥃

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, ValerieJo said:

You may not know them at the beginning of the cruise, but you can have some very nice friends by the end of the cruise.  We've met some really fun people in the Diamond Lounge and certainly hope that continues.

25 minutes ago, ValerieJo said:

Very true. One gal from California, one from Canada, one from England and the last from Ireland. We have met them, just by chance,  on several westbound Oasis class TA's.  3+ hours in the Dl makes for a great night. All the husbands were off to the side with their Martinis. Funny thing is that the people behind have also been on several TA'S with us. 

IMG_3503.thumb.JPG.6a8eaed91a52686d8f78112b1adfca54.JPG

• Like 2

Something has to give!  Program needs a total revamp. Been cruising with RC since the 90s.  Many times airfare cost more than the cruise.  I am now  widow and last few cruises have been solo. I enjoy the lounge, not so much for the free drinks, but just a place to sit and visit, make new friends and socialize. Sometimes the bars are too noisy to hold a conversation.

Met a nice young couple on a recent cruise.  They were a classic example of what’s wrong with the program.  They were in their twenties.  He explained he was diamond - had taken one cruise with his parents as a high school graduation present. His parents were diamond, so after one cruise he was diamond. Fast forward several years - now has a serious live in girlfriend.  They are at the same address - therefore on her first cruise she was diamond.

Something  is seriously wrong with the program.   I won’t make a Pinnacle - not even going to try - diamond plus is my cutoff. 

• Like 7