Bean Counters vs Diamonds

seeyakids

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Not wanting to get to far off-topic, but the drink package "free perk" for $14 pp/pd,  isn't pretty much the same as buying a drink package for $14?  Because that is a great deal and proof that Royal did make money on the $18 drink snafu.

Or are there other restriction/conditions to obtaining this perk (booking a suite, certain C&A tier, etc?)

I did check the Celebrity website but figured it was quicker and easier to ask here.  Thinking about booking a Celebrity for my next cruise.

EDIT: and more importantly, do both people in the cabin need to buy the "free" perk?

Michael Bayley told me yesterday that the $18 "glitch" cost them $8 million.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

But I've been quoting you as my "insider" information. 😋

Whatever you do don’t tell anyone that I am your insider or your story will be blown.

I know I am not important enough to RCI to be told their secrets and plans and I own stock in the company.

jc

• Haha 1

Just now, Merion_Mom said:

I wonder how that is computed.  Do they know how many people would have not bought the package at all at the regular price?

• Like 7

Not to nitpick a politician, but there is a difference between an actual loss of money and a reduction in income.  My guess is that the later is the correct statement.  

jc

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I wonder how that is computed.  Do they know how many people would have not bought the package at all at the regular price?

I can't quote his exact words, but this is pretty close.

"We know that in that time frame (Tuesday night, roughly 5 PM to 11 PM), we would normally sell about 75 drink packages on the website, across all cruises.

That  night, there were more than 21,000 purchases."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

"We know that in that time frame (Tuesday night, roughly 5 PM to 11 PM), we would normally sell about 75 drink packages on the website, across all cruises.

If they sold roughly 21,000 more than normal in that time period, and at a cost of $8,000,000 that is about $380 per package.  I wonder if the number he's referring to is revenue, or actual profit loss.

Who knows how much they actually lost.  I wonder how many actually drank more than $18 worth of liquor each day, considering RCCL's actual cost of that liquor.

Edit:  You're right Bob. Hard to calculate.  How many of those 21,000 wouldn't have purchased at all at normal prices, and how many pulled the trigger on the $18 deal who were going to purchase at full price anyway.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 2

Yeah, I don't know how they get $8 million from that.  They lost some money on the normal 75 that would have been purchased. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

It just shows if the price is cheap how quickly things sell.

In the UK they give us FREE DP then stick £250pp onto the cruise price and sell thousands of cabins.

Edited by grapau27

12 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Yeah, I don't know how they get $8 million from that.  They lost some money on the normal 75 that would have been purchased. 

He is full of BS, they will probably make money even on those 21K $18 packages, so they lost nothing.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

He is full of BS, they will probably make money even on those 21K $18 packages, so they lost nothing.

I agree. I would guess that the majority that purchased at $18 would not have bought the package at all. I'm one of them. They will still make a little money on us - especially since we won't be using the Diamond lounge drinks or vouchers.

38 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I’m surprised their website could handle 21,000 purchases within a 6 hour period😂

Sherri🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

It's a question of how much more (or less) money could they have potentially made without the glitch, which I don't think can be directly measured anyway. But I suppose they need to account to the shareholders for the mistake so they came up with $8 million. If I made an $8 million mistake I would be living in a cardboard box right now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

I lost over $ 8,000,000 not investing my life savings into the Amazon IPO.

Seems like 8 million divided by $ 57 "loss" per package would be over 140,000 packages sold at the lower price.

Not quite.  The $57 you divided by is the per day loss, not the package loss.

2 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Not to nitpick a politician, but there is a difference between an actual loss of money and a reduction in income.  My guess is that the later is the correct statement.  

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

If they sold roughly 21,000 more than normal in that time period, and at a cost of $8,000,000 that is about $380 per package.  I wonder if the number he's referring to is revenue, or actual profit loss.

Who knows how much they actually lost.  I wonder how many actually drank more than $18 worth of liquor each day, considering RCCL's actual cost of that liquor.

Edit:  You're right Bob. Hard to calculate.  How many of those 21,000 wouldn't have purchased at all at normal prices, and how many pulled the trigger on the $18 deal who were going to purchase at full price anyway.

I agree.  I don't think it cost money, they just did not make as much revenue as possible.

There is no way of knowing how many of those 21,000 people would have not bought the drink package b/c they only have 2-3 drinks a night, which could be $15-$36 total depending on what they drink.  But at $18 pd/pp x 2 (or more), it became worth it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Their buying power probably means the drink costs very little so I agree with you they will still show a profit at $18pp or $36per couple just not the massive profits they would normally make at full price.

There was probably many D,D+ and Pinnacle members who bought at this price who would get a lot of free drinks anyway.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

A couple of my friends feel the same way. I like the drive, especially to PE since it is basically I75 all the way in (I know it changes to 595 but not really an exit) and I live 2 miles from 75.

Even though PC is closer, that drive on I4 sucks.

And I hate 75.  We've been lucky on I4...a little traffic at Disney, but then smooth sailing after.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Hi Frank!  Aww...your home is a tropical heaven!!  🙂  

I just yesterday finished up the last leg of the Serenade 5/5/2021 11 night cruise.  Departing from your back yard and doing 5 ports in Hawaii before we head to Vancouver.  Join us!  All you have to do is just fly back home on that one...you can still drive to the port. 😉 

Wish I could join all you fun loving folks.  Alas my son still has 4 years of high school left.  Will be able to do these TA and TP once he goes off to college.

Will be glad to pick you and Bucky up at the pier for lunch at a local eatery if you dont have any plans.  Would love to take a ship from Honolulu to Vancouver and then do Alaska for a couple of sailings.