Phone use in dining areas

Cruise Raider

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

Why, to me, of course  ... and to anyone that follows some basic rules of etiquette.  

Basic rules change all the time.  Where does one go to find the so called current "rules of etiquette"?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, caribill said:

Sure, no reason to ban phone conversations during a show in the Princess theater.

Some people seem to look for reasons to be upset. Phone in the theater?  Ask the attendant to address the situation.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

The device seems to only be an issue when used as a TELEPHONE at a table with other guests (not in your traveling party). 

...And this is largely an invented annoyance. With the cost of roaming charges and limited usage international plans, actual phone conversations are held to a minimum. It remains pricey to use your phone as a phone. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't dream to talk on the phone in MDR, I do not talk on my phone outside of my cabin or in places where nobody is present.

However here is a question .. does anyone knows what kind of headphones with microphone (noise cancelling) are good for iphone with lightening input (8th or newer)? One of my upcoming cruise will feature 3 work days and I might need to use my phone outside of the cabin where it is loud.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, tip said:

Me darling wife of forty-six years and I dine at a table for two.  We actually talk with one another.:classic_love:  We observed a couple at another table who were on their separate phones before, during, and after the meal.  I thought that it was quite sad.

this.   I’m with the OP but expect to get flamed by the “why does it bother you”crowd. Same as wearing shorts and play clothes to the dining room. It used to be just plain rude but now it’s a “just ignore it” attitude from the younger generation.  They seem to think that it’s their vacation and no one is going to tell them what to do.  Manners are out the window (porthole). Just sayin’.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Diver2014 said:

this.   I’m with the OP but expect to get flamed by the “why does it bother you”crowd. Same as wearing shorts and play clothes to the dining room. It used to be just plain rude but now it’s a “just ignore it” attitude from the younger generation.  They seem to think that it’s their vacation and no one is going to tell them what to do.  Manners are out the window (porthole). Just sayin’.

I think proper dress code, not talking loudly on the phone are good manners. Using phone as a camera or texting are not bad manners, just changes. People were always bringing cameras into MDR and it was never a bad manner. Technology changes.

• Like 1

Yes, my DH and I find it very rude for someone to be looking at their phone or even having a conversation while in a public dining room and our at our dining room table. Yes, if its that important, get up and go elsewhere to have that conversation and not infer your conversation with others.

One of the points that my DH and I made when we bought our cell phones was that we would not pull it out

and look at it during a meal UNLESS it was an emergency.

When we go to the MDR, my phone is in my purse until dessert is served. Reason being so that we can verify what time the show is that we need to go to 45 minutes before it starts <insert grin>

I did think of a funny though. I am hearing challenged especially sitting with 6 others in the MDR and I say "Hunh?" a lot.

Sometimes I think the cell phone would be of assistance at the table so I can hear what others are talking about. Half the time I have no clue and have to ask my husband what was said while he asks me to read the menu because he left his reading glasses in the cabin.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, caribill said:

Sometimes the dining rooms are so noisy that carrying on a phone conversation would require really raising your voice.

9 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

But then, so too would face to face conversations.

Jimmy, you are one of my favorite contributors, but I'm not sure that I agree with your contention that people speaking on a telephone speak with the same volume as those having face-to-face conversations, and I think that being in a dining room aggravates the situation.

Dining rooms, and in my experience, specifically, Princess dining rooms, have quite a bit of ambient noise.  The person on the receiving end of the telephone hears this ambient noise in addition to the speaker's words.  The reason that this is not the same as a listener at the table is because he/she is not getting directional cues as to where the noise or words are coming.  So, if something gets muffled and the listener asks the speaker to repeat, the tendency is for the speaker to raise the volume of his voice.

Now, if the dining room speaker cups his hand around his mouth and the telephone, I can see that this might muffle some of the ambient noise. and. I agree that might be helpful.

Also, in the face-to-face conversation the participants have additional senses to aid their perception.  Specifically, if I see your lips moving, I know your are speaking to me.  Even if the room is loud and I can't quite hear every word, I can get cues from, not only, your lips, but the rest of you face as to the nature of you comment.  I don't, necessarily, have to hear every word in order to understand you.  Those visual cues are not available to a listener on a telephone.  So, again, he/she asks the speaker to repeat, and in response the speaker raises his voice.

All my angst notwithstanding, in a dozen, or so, Princess cruises, I don't think I've ever seen a person in a dining room or a specialty restaurant chatting on their mobile phone.

22 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Jimmy, you are one of my favorite contributors, but I'm not sure that I agree with your contention that people speaking on a telephone speak with the same volume as those having face-to-face conversations, and I think that being in a dining room aggravates the situation.

Dining rooms, and in my experience, specifically, Princess dining rooms, have quite a bit of ambient noise.  The person on the receiving end of the telephone hears this ambient noise in addition to the speaker's words.  The reason that this is not the same as a listener at the table is because he/she is not getting directional cues as to where the noise or words are coming.  So, if something gets muffled and the listener asks the speaker to repeat, the tendency is for the speaker to raise the volume of his voice.

Now, if the dining room speaker cups his hand around his mouth and the telephone, I can see that this might muffle some of the ambient noise. and. I agree that might be helpful.

Also, in the face-to-face conversation the participants have additional senses to aid their perception.  Specifically, if I see your lips moving, I know your are speaking to me.  Even if the room is loud and I can't quite hear every word, I can get cues from, not only, your lips, but the rest of you face as to the nature of you comment.  I don't, necessarily, have to hear every word in order to understand you.  Those visual cues are not available to a listener on a telephone.  So, again, he/she asks the speaker to repeat, and in response the speaker raises his voice.

All my angst notwithstanding, in a dozen, or so, Princess cruises, I don't think I've ever seen a person in a dining room or a specialty restaurant chatting on their mobile phone.

I think that more current phone models even the playing field. Whereas I once struggled to hear on a cell phone, that isn’t really an issue now. But I get your point. 

The perception seems to be if one person is doing it then many are and anyone with a phone is tagged with the same bad reputation.  If you have a phone where others can see then you must be talking on it and therefor your are being rude to all around you. Sorry but times have changed, Princess has created an environment where they encourage cell phone use at all times. Those who are unhappy with it seem to be the ones with the problem.

8 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

...And this is largely an invented annoyance. With the cost of roaming charges and limited usage international plans, actual phone conversations are held to a minimum. It remains pricey to use your phone as a phone. 

Not really.  People are calling over Wifi, using WhatsApp, or similar.  You can even do video calling over internet.  Beat doing a traditional phone call and paying a fortune.

I want to know who is actually using a cell phone to talk? Princess does attract an older flip phone carrying passenger but they are usually the ones who claim to lock the phone in the safe until disembarkation day. I have never witnessed anyone talking on the phone during dinner even when dining out at home. Honestly, even my 87 yr old father will send me a quick text via his flip phone in lieu of calling.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

In my reading of this topic, I see most approve of using the device as a camera, to check a schedule or order a cocktail. The device seems to only be an issue when used as a TELEPHONE at a table with other guests (not in your traveling party).

Another annoying distraction is when the phone is used as an amusement to keep a child occupied. I just got off the Star yesterday and on the last evening a young family were seated at a table about 10 feet away from us. They had a young child in a high chair who was totally engrossed in a cartoon showing on the phone screen whilst the parents chatted to each other. Typically in the MDR other voices just become a hum, but in this instance, the high pitched squeaky cartoon voices were certainly discernible and rather annoying. 

Thankfully, they were on their desert course and we were just waiting on our appetizers, so we didn’t have to put up with it for long.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, polmcs said:

Another annoying distraction is when the phone is used as an amusement to keep a child occupied. I just got off the Star yesterday and on the last evening a young family were seated at a table about 10 feet away from us. They had a young child in a high chair who was totally engrossed in a cartoon showing on the phone screen whilst the parents chatted to each other. Typically in the MDR other voices just become a hum, but in this instance, the high pitched squeaky cartoon voices were certainly discernible and rather annoying. 

Thankfully, they were on their desert course and we were just waiting on our appetizers, so we didn’t have to put up with it for long.

I'll take a cartoon voice over a screaming child any day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'll take a cartoon voice over a screaming child any day.

I’ll take parents actually parenting. 😉 Not being one myself, but I’ve been told that it can actually be quite rewarding. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Chill time.....

the funniest thing I saw.... was at a 6 star boutique hotel, in the their restaurant ... the food was to die for....

Anyway this couple came in,  all the tables are for two, they each brought their ipads, and over dinner they only said about two words to each other. as the spent all time looking at their screens   ...    in the mean time we had the wonderful 5 hour dinner with lots of conversation. and enjoying the great view.

It has take all sorts......  Just enjoy yourself.... you are on holidays   on a ship....   have another wine....

Cheers Don  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I want to know who is actually using a cell phone to talk? Princess does attract an older flip phone carrying passenger but they are usually the ones who claim to lock the phone in the safe until disembarkation day. I have never witnessed anyone talking on the phone during dinner even when dining out at home. Honestly, even my 87 yr old father will send me a quick text via his flip phone in lieu of calling.

15 hours ago, steelers36 said:

People are calling over Wifi, using WhatsApp, or similar.  You can even do video calling over internet.  Beat doing a traditional phone call and paying a fortune.

I see that there are two camps here, but I tend to agree with Iamcruzin.  Just not seeing "vocal" conversations as a true annoyance.  Sure, people are texting away, and Insta-snapping and live blogging.  But talking?  I haven't noticed it in the dining rooms, let alone noticed it to the point of distraction.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I see that there are two camps here, but I tend to agree with Iamcruzin.  Just not seeing "vocal" conversations as a true annoyance.  Sure, people are texting away, and Insta-snapping and live blogging.  But talking?  I haven't noticed it in the dining rooms, let alone noticed it to the point of distraction.

Neither have we.

I think just the thought of it can upset some people. 

21 hours ago, greenie082756 said:

Yes, my DH and I find it very rude for someone to be looking at their phone or even having a conversation while in a public dining room and our at our dining room table.

I guess bold words are keywords.

IMHO you dine with other people if you want to interact with them.

We picked tables for 2 (Anytime dining or assigned) long before WiFi became available and unlimted.

We like to interact with other people, just not during our dinners.

Between us we decide what we want to do.

My husband always disconnects, I am always connected. 🙂 

14 hours ago, polmcs said:

I’ll take parents actually parenting.  

A week or so ago, we went to our favorite Mexican restaurant.   Saw a family being seated by us with 2 young teens who were completely absorbed in their phones.  The short story is one of the sons never looked up while the others placed their orders despite being asked what he wanted.  When their food was delivered, he didn't get any.  I didn't hear what his mom said.

• Haha 2