Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
TrolleyGirl

Current O onboard reading book

Recommended Posts

For those of you that are interested the current onboard reading book is Save Me the Plums authored by Ruth Reichl.  It is quite a deviation from the prior book club selection.  

 

I think the reading program is poorly promoted onboard.  There is no signage either by the front desk where you pick up your copies of the book, nor is there any promotional signage in the Crows Nest near the "library".  As a result we only had two participants in the reading recap on our recent NA sailing, my sister and myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear but when I book a cruise joining O onboard is the furthest thing from my mind. 
I can read a book at home for free. Just saying 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only fiction book on-board, apparently hasn’t been changed in months.  Princess had some interesting suggestions.  Two for every two months. Then two new ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bennybear said:

The only fiction book on-board

It’s not even fiction - it’s a memoir.  I read half of it as the hotel I work in was given a few dozen copies of it for free to give out......6 months ago and I still can’t get rid of them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, woodworker&knitter said:

Sorry to hear but when I book a cruise joining O onboard is the furthest thing from my mind. 
I can read a book at home for free. Just saying 

 

I'm not sure what you mean read for free at home.  You may not understand how the program works.  The books are free to read, you just pickup a copy at the front desk and it's yours to use the duration of the cruise.  My point in the post was if HAL is going to have a program such as the O reading group, they should at least promote so guests know it exists and how it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, seachef318 said:

It’s not even fiction - it’s a memoir.  I read half of it as the hotel I work in was given a few dozen copies of it for free to give out......6 months ago and I still can’t get rid of them.  

 

I can understand that!  The reading selection really boggled my mind.  I can see perhaps steering away from controversy, but certainly a more interesting book could have been chosen! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TrolleyGirl said:

 

 

I think the reading program is poorly promoted onboard.  There is no signage either by the front desk where you pick up your copies of the book, nor is there any promotional signage in the Crows Nest near the "library".  As a result we only had two participants in the reading recap on our recent NA sailing, my sister and myself.

I agree!  I’ve tried to participate twice.  The first time the CD announced the meeting and handed out the books.  He wasn’t looking forward to reading it and I lost interest.  If HAL still had librarians this might be a viable program.  The second time I had every intention of reading the book (about marriage)  which I picked  up at the front desk but again lost interest. If the book had been itinerary related I would have been more motivated.  We were on a 21 day Alaska itinerary and there were a lot of great Alaska books on the Maasdam.  The Oprah programs like the bookclub, wellness, and product lines have not been integrated into the itineraries.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not an Oprah fan, so I have no interest in what book she thinks is good. However, I always see in the daily program when the get-together sessions are. 

 

I wonder how much HAL pays her for using her name? I've been in the Crow's Nest before when the sessions are being held. Very few people show up.

 

The Konigsdam had an Oprah shop. It wasn't very popular either. I noticed that much of the merchandise was marked down to half for the deck sale. No one was buying it then either. I haven't seen any more Oprah shops since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2019 at 10:14 AM, TrolleyGirl said:

For those of you that are interested the current onboard reading book is Save Me the Plums authored by Ruth Reichl.  It is quite a deviation from the prior book club selection.  

 

I think the reading program is poorly promoted onboard.  There is no signage either by the front desk where you pick up your copies of the book, nor is there any promotional signage in the Crows Nest near the "library".  As a result we only had two participants in the reading recap on our recent NA sailing, my sister and myself.

 

 

 

Poorly promoted could mean  severe   l ack of interest .  .

 

"O' has no meaningful long lasting tie to HAL  that   many of us recognize .

 

 

 

image.png.56c15aa62de2753c5acb9b8a7c03f70a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been reading "Save Me the Plums" by Ruth Reichl before our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise departing Nov. 16.  It's a quick, fun read for me (and includes a handful of recipes).  "Gourmet" was one of those famous old-line magazines that was killed off by Condé Nast during the '08-'09 recession and Reichl was its last editor-in-chief.  She has had a fabulous foodie life and her stories are often fascinating.  I think it's a great fit for a HA book club, but others may disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the informative posts.  I agree that there should be information available.  I had no idea how it worked until I read these posts!  Thank you for this thread, TrolleyGirl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...