Cruise Critic Community
bubbapuck

Alaska 2021

For Christmas, I plan to book the 14 day Alaska Cruise out of LA. I know the 2021 cruises will be announced soon and I plan to put my deposit down ASAP. I have never cruised on Princess before so I want to get some feedback on the best deck to get a room. 

It seems the ship that does this itinerary is Golden Princess. We will definitely do an interior room as we love how dark the rooms are at all times and we just cannot afford a balcony room. We are a couple in our late 40's/early 50's that like to have fun but prefer quiet room area. We had deck 10 on our recent Carnival cruise and loved it. It was close to the pool, spa, and buffet but was far enough away where late night activities didn't keep us up. We have grand kids and love them to death but when we cruise, we prefer to be in areas where there are less children.

Any thoughts on the best deck/area on the Golden Princess?

Thanks!

Think the Golden Princess will be leaving the Fleet and not sailing Alaska in 2021 season.

5 minutes ago, that said:

Think the Golden Princess will be leaving the Fleet and not sailing Alaska in 2021 season.

Well that stinks. Does anyone know the new ship or have some general advice on the best deck to book on a Princess cruise?

Bubba, I may be wrong, but I would not count on the Princess 2021 Alaska schedule will be released by this coming Christmas.  Princess seems to release different itineraries at different times, and it seems to me that the Alaska season is usually released in the spring.

Also, I would not count on the Golden Princess being in service in 2021.  I'm pretty sure that some time in 2020 she will be transferred over to another CCL brand (P&O?).

All that notwithstanding, let me try to give you some guidance on cabin location.  Most Princess ships are more similar than different.  Since you are looking for an inside cabin, I think you have a lot of flexibility.  Deck 10 should be fine for your purpose, but I am not, necessarily, eliminating any deck.  When booking your cabin check the decks immediately above and below.  If there are cabins on those two decks, you should be fine.  Some people fear being near the elevator lobbies, but some people like to be near the elevator lobbies.

Regarding children, Alaska cruises do attract families.  My best advice for you, there, is to plan your cruise before the summer school break begins or after it ends.

Have a great cruise.  Alaska is awesome.

16 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Bubba, I may be wrong, but I would not count on the Princess 2021 Alaska schedule will be released by this coming Christmas.  Princess seems to release different itineraries at different times, and it seems to me that the Alaska season is usually released in the spring.

Also, I would not count on the Golden Princess being in service in 2021.  I'm pretty sure that some time in 2020 she will be transferred over to another CCL brand (P&O?).

All that notwithstanding, let me try to give you some guidance on cabin location.  Most Princess ships are more similar than different.  Since you are looking for an inside cabin, I think you have a lot of flexibility.  Deck 10 should be fine for your purpose, but I am not, necessarily, eliminating any deck.  When booking your cabin check the decks immediately above and below.  If there are cabins on those two decks, you should be fine.  Some people fear being near the elevator lobbies, but some people like to be near the elevator lobbies.

Regarding children, Alaska cruises do attract families.  My best advice for you, there, is to plan your cruise before the summer school break begins or after it ends.

Have a great cruise.  Alaska is awesome.

Thanks XB Guy! I just found out about the Golden Princess leaving. I am sure any ship will be beautiful. Your advice is kind of what I thought but wasn't sure. 

The Vacation Planner told me they would go on sale in mid Nov/early December. I know they went on sale mid November last year. Hope they do... would hate to give her a brochure and IOU for Christmas. 🙂

56 minutes ago, bubbapuck said:

The Vacation Planner told me they would go on sale in mid Nov/early December. I know they went on sale mid November last year. 🙂

I hope this to be true also.   Royal released their 2021 Alaska sailings today, and they are pretty hefty in price.   I'm hoping Princess is a little more affordable for us!

Edited by FLASHINGLIGHTS83

2 hours ago, bubbapuck said:

We will definitely do an interior room as we love how dark the rooms are at all times and we just cannot afford a balcony room.

I know that you said that you will definitely do an inside, but I do want to throw this at you.  Alaska, contrary to other destinations, is one that’s filled with amazing views, sometimes the entire day, from the moment you wake up until you go to bed. Some of the most amazing things I saw during our cruise to Alaska were from the comfort of my cabin. Don’t want you to miss out on that because you like a dark room. 

With that said, if a balcony isn’t financially possible for you, Golden Princess as well as other ships in the Princess fleet have a handful of cabins that are considered obstructed view but that have zero or very little obstruction, and they are priced close to the same as an inside cabin. That’s what we did when we sailed on the Golden Princess. We booked cabin E218 specifically which had an almost completely unobstructed view. It was a wonderful cabin, we loved the location, and we saved a lot of money.

You have to do a bit of research to pinpoint these cabins, but that research pays off in the form of big savings. 

Enjoy your cruise!

11 minutes ago, FLASHINGLIGHTS83 said:

I hope this to b true also.   Royal released their 2021 Alaska sailings today, and they are pretty hefty in price.   I'm hoping Princess is a little more affordable for us!

Oh no. I have always heard the cruise is cheapest when they first go on sale. Not sure if its true but that's what I have heard. The vacation planner told me that if I put a deposit, they can adjust the price if the price goes down later on. The price for the LA cruise I am looking at seems fair to me so if I can get that price, I would be happy. Only time will tell I guess.

Let me add one more thing, Bubba.  I assume you have your reasons for booking by this Christmas.  If you want to hand your sweetheart a booking confirmation on December 25 with a "Merry Christmas," I get it.  However, as the previous poster indicated regarding the Royal Caribbean pricing, the pricing that Princess offers on release will, probably, be hefty.  Also, usually, the only cabins that are high demand and might quickly be snapped up are the Suites.  I was on the Ruby Princess on the Los Angeles-Alaska round trip cruise last April.  Two weeks prior to departure there were lots of balcony and inside cabins still available. 

That being said. one of the nice things about Princess is that if there is a price drop, it is very easy to get re-fared.  In my case, regarding that April cruise, when I originally booked in the summer of 2017  (a forward balcony on Deck 12) I took advantage of a promotion that added $1,000 in onboard credit.  Just before final payment was due I checked the prices on my cruise, and saw that there was a SUBSTANTIAL reduction in price.  I called Princess, and they switched me over to the new pricing.  Now, I lost my $1,000 in onboard credit, but my final payment was $1,900 less.  So, overall, I saved $900.

That may have been long-winded, but the conclusion that I offer to you is that if you do book this  Christmas, you can monitor the prices for your cabin category.  If there is a reduction, you, or your travel agent, can contact Princess and take advantage.

Edit:  Your latest post hit while I was in composition mode.  It looks like your travel agent has you covered on pricing changes.

Edited by XBGuy

Bubba, in all honesty, look into booking a balcony for Alaska.  I'm with you when it comes to booking interior (though I lean more towards ocean views most of the time), but Alaska is one of the very few cruise destinations where I feel a balcony is paramount.  There is so much to see while sitting on it.  And while you can be on deck as probably see the same things, it's not quite the same as having privacy.

Regardless, you will love Alaska.

3 hours ago, bubbapuck said:

Thanks XB Guy! I just found out about the Golden Princess leaving. I am sure any ship will be beautiful. Your advice is kind of what I thought but wasn't sure. 

The Vacation Planner told me they would go on sale in mid Nov/early December. I know they went on sale mid November last year. Hope they do... would hate to give her a brochure and IOU for Christmas. 🙂

We were on Princess in September and were told the same time frame for Alaska 2021 cruises.

I have cruised to Alaska in both an inside cabin and a balcony.  I don’t feel a balcony is a must for Alaska for us.  Our first Alaskan cruise was in a balcony as well as our most recent (May 2019).  I felt it was a waste of money because we spent sooo much time in the public areas of the ship and the weather was a little nasty (wet and cold).  I much prefer an inside cabin because of the total darkness—much better sleep for me and hubby!  All the ships we have been on in Alaska have great viewing areas (observation lounges, promenade decks, etc)—I’ve seen whales while in the dining room, thermal spa, exercise room, on deck and sitting by an aft pool with a hot toddy!

Excursions are pricey in Alaska.  I would book the cruise as soon as it is available and then monitor the prices.  Our May Alaskan cruise on the Grand was repriced  four times on different promotions.  Use the money you save staying in an inside cabin on some spiffy excursions.

When Princess releases their 2021 Alaska sailings, will they make some kind of announcement, or will they just appear on the website?   If there is an announcement, where/how do they usually make it?   

Thanks, 

New to Princess, but excited at the possibility to try them!

21 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

Bubba, in all honesty, look into booking a balcony for Alaska.  I'm with you when it comes to booking interior (though I lean more towards ocean views most of the time), but Alaska is one of the very few cruise destinations where I feel a balcony is paramount.  There is so much to see while sitting on it.  And while you can be on deck as probably see the same things, it's not quite the same as having privacy.

Regardless, you will love Alaska.

Believe me, I would love to get a balcony but the price almost doubles for it. If I could afford it I would. I may splurge for a window... or obstructed windows as mentioned by Tapi above.

4 minutes ago, FLASHINGLIGHTS83 said:

When Princess releases their 2021 Alaska sailings, will they make some kind of announcement, or will they just appear on the website?   If there is an announcement, where/how do they usually make it?   

Thanks, 

New to Princess, but excited at the possibility to try them!

I know they announced it last year on November 13th and made available for previous cruises on November 15th. Not sure when it was made available for newb's like me.

21 hours ago, Tapi said:

I know that you said that you will definitely do an inside, but I do want to throw this at you.  Alaska, contrary to other destinations, is one that’s filled with amazing views, sometimes the entire day, from the moment you wake up until you go to bed. Some of the most amazing things I saw during our cruise to Alaska were from the comfort of my cabin. Don’t want you to miss out on that because you like a dark room. 

With that said, if a balcony isn’t financially possible for you, Golden Princess as well as other ships in the Princess fleet have a handful of cabins that are considered obstructed view but that have zero or very little obstruction, and they are priced close to the same as an inside cabin. That’s what we did when we sailed on the Golden Princess. We booked cabin E218 specifically which had an almost completely unobstructed view. It was a wonderful cabin, we loved the location, and we saved a lot of money.

You have to do a bit of research to pinpoint these cabins, but that research pays off in the form of big savings. 

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the tip Tapi! I look at one of the obstructued view pictures online. I would love that. Will have to see if my wife would like that but be as secretive as possible so she doesnt get a clue of whats going on.

Holland America (sister line to Princess) and Royal Caribbean (parent line to Celebrity) have both posted 2021 Alaska dates. I suspect Princess and Celebrity won't be far behind. 

We are also waiting on Alaska 2021 cruise prices from Princess. We have sailed with Princess and RCCL before and would be happy for either. But seeing the prices of RCCL Alaska  we now really want to see Princess prices also.

Hope we don't have to wait too long!

Tania

Last year, together.

November 13, 2018 Princess Cruises Announces 2020 Alaska Cruises and Cruisetours
December  5, 2017 Princess Cruises Celebrates 50th Year of Alaska Cruises with Largest Deployment Ever in 2019
November 22, 2016 Princess Cruises Announces Largest Alaska Deployment Ever in 2018

Edited by john_galt

On 11/5/2019 at 12:26 PM, bubbapuck said:

Oh no. I have always heard the cruise is cheapest when they first go on sale. Not sure if its true but that's what I have heard. The vacation planner told me that if I put a deposit, they can adjust the price if the price goes down later on. The price for the LA cruise I am looking at seems fair to me so if I can get that price, I would be happy. Only time will tell I guess.

I booked the Golden R/T LA on the first day it was opened to newbies, 11/15/18. Two Minisuites for five people came to $19805 plus gratuities (which we would never not pay) = $20890 with no perks. I booked the minisuites because of needing a no-bunk triple and three OceanViews were just about as costly as two Minis. My husband needs the external/daylight so those were the choices! I got VERY good locations, just aft of the mid section where the minis are sold as Club Class.

I have refared (through my Personal Cruise Planner) SIX times! Under the second version of Three-For-Free promotional (with added dinners for all five), on October 16, the out-of-pocket is now $14765 with $2085 in perks (plus the upcharge dinners worth another $145, but we wouldn't normally have bought them), for a total value of $12535, or $12680 without considering the dinners. Perks include gratuities for all five passengers, so don't have to add them in.

So first sale is not always the best price! But it is the time to get the best selection of cabins. Just be sure to book with a refundable deposit and you can re-fare as long as there are rooms in your category available. 

16 hours ago, Molly Doble said:

We are also waiting on Alaska 2021 cruise prices from Princess. We have sailed with Princess and RCCL before and would be happy for either. But seeing the prices of RCCL Alaska  we now really want to see Princess prices also.

Tania

I am in the same boat, except we have never sailed with Princess before.   I keep seeing people say the 20th, so hopefully just another week or so.   

On 11/9/2019 at 3:34 AM, Molly Doble said:

Tania

You will want to do Princess to Alaska. RCCL doesn't go to Glacier Bay and does a poor job IMO in Alaska! Princess has so many enrichment programs, etc...

Thanks, so hopefully not too much longer to wait. We just want to find find our cruise and book it.

Thanks Tania

Well guys, as long as our Intel was correct, which is more of an educated guess, we should hopefully be seeing some 2021 Alaska sailings this week!   Here's to hoping, and keeping our fingers crossed!