Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
bubbapuck

Alaska 2021

Recommended Posts

Great!! I see the info on the Travel Agent page someone discussed earlier in the thread. Already scanning. Very high prices compared to holland america!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bubbapuck said:

Great!! I see the info on the Travel Agent page someone discussed earlier in the thread. Already scanning. Very high prices compared to holland america!

 That is new.   I checked very early this morning and it wasn't there.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am looking at two cruises now. One for the Star Princess, the other for the Royal Princess. Can anyone give me some insight on these ships and if you prefer one or the other for an Alaska cruise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one out of LA is on the Sun Princess but much more expensive. Any thoughts on this ship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bubbapuck said:

The one out of LA is on the Sun Princess but much more expensive. Any thoughts on this ship?

Sun Princess is Princess' oldest ship right now, delivered in 1995. Scanning these forums, there's a polarized response, as some love the intimacy and size, but some lament the age overall (not that it necessarily shows it in dramatic ways) and amenities, although I'm not at all privy to the exact complaints people have made. Peruse the Australia/New Zealand threads on Cruise Critic and you might gain some info on Sun as she has been deployed there for a while. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unsure when selling dates will debut, but here's a glance at the flyer that was mentioned above:

 

Summary:

  • Vancouver (Royal, Coral, Star, Sapphire, Sun)
    • Sapphire returns to Alaska after being gone for a while; debuts in Whittier on 6/16 and Vancouver on 6/23, suggesting a northeasterly transpacific repositioning
    • Sun does 7-day round-trip Vancouver cruises only
  • Seattle (Emerald, Regal)
    • Regal debuts in Seattle on 5/4 with an "Alaska Sampler" visiting Ketchikan+Victoria and back
    • Regal's last cruise in the region is 9/26 with an "Alaska Sampler" --> Seattle-Ketchikan-Vancouver
  • San Francisco (Ruby)
  • Los Angeles (Sun)
    • Four 14-day trips (7/3, 7/17, 7/31, 8/14) visiting Hubbard Glacier

 

PC_2021_AlaskaReferenceFlyer_12_2019_FINAL-s.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I am pretty much priced out.   I can not afford those kinds of prices, especially when you include a cross country flight, hotels, etc. etc.   This makes me sad, but I will get there soon enough!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see it posted yet, but just got the email, Elite bookings open Monday, December 16 9AM PST, open for all one day later.

 

So, we all have a bit over a week to count our penny's and decide what we might like to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

Unsure when selling dates will debut, but here's a glance at the flyer that was mentioned above:

 

Summary:

  • Vancouver (Royal, Coral, Star, Sapphire, Sun)
    • Sapphire returns to Alaska after being gone for a while; debuts in Whittier on 6/16 and Vancouver on 6/23, suggesting a northeasterly transpacific repositioning
    • Sun does 7-day round-trip Vancouver cruises only
  • Seattle (Emerald, Regal)
    • Regal debuts in Seattle on 5/4 with an "Alaska Sampler" visiting Ketchikan+Victoria and back
    • Regal's last cruise in the region is 9/26 with an "Alaska Sampler" --> Seattle-Ketchikan-Vancouver
  • San Francisco (Ruby)
  • Los Angeles (Sun)
    • Four 14-day trips (7/3, 7/17, 7/31, 8/14) visiting Hubbard Glacier

 

PC_2021_AlaskaReferenceFlyer_12_2019_FINAL-s.pdf 543.93 kB · 11 downloads

So, will the Vancouver departures from Sun go up the East side of Vancouver Island?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

So, will the Vancouver departures from Sun go up the East side of Vancouver Island?

Yes, it's an Inside Passage cruise (at least it's marketed that way; always up to discretion of captain)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2019 at 7:05 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

 

Coral has far more public space per guest than many other ships in the fleet and therefore feels less crowded. She's very easy to navigate, elegant and comfortable for extended voyages. Island used to be the same before they eliminated several large public spaces to add more cabins, so she lost that sense of spaciousness and uncrowded feeling. 

 

Pacifc is is special due to he's size. At only 680 guests you get to know your fellow travelers more easily, staff can provide more personal and genuine service and virtually any venue on the ship is only two minutes away. Disembarking and boarding in ports is a breeze on a smaller ship as well. She can also fit into ports larger ships cannot, which theoretically give her the opportunity for more unique itineraries, something I think Princess has not fully taken advantage of. 

Just curious what you think about the Sun as far as Alaska cruising it is the one going out of LA and I am curious how it is. It seems like an unpopular old ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Launch fares for the LA R/T on Sun are actually $500 less for a MiniSuite, than they were for similar itinerary on the Golden for 2020 -- comparing mid-July to mid-July. They are also being published a full month later and well after the HAL released their 2021. 

 

For what it's worth, my minisuite fares came down $1260pp from no-perk Launch to 3-for-Free with OBC and grats! The later added wifi Anniversary Sale is also a good value, although the wifi/wine/decrease in third person fare, doesn't quite balance out the included grats for my party.

 

The point would be, as long as you are (in the US and) seeing a refundable fare, if you book now you get a better choice of cabin and can refare later (as long as your category doesn't sell out) under SnS/3FF/whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read that the Star is scheduled to be transferred to P&O Australia in late 2021. My guess would be immediately after the Alaska season. There will likely be a drydock refresh before the transfer. I'm always leery of sailing right before a ship heads to drydock. 

 

I'm warming to the idea of the Coral or the Sapphire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, john_galt said:

I read that the Star is scheduled to be transferred to P&O Australia in late 2021. My guess would be immediately after the Alaska season. There will likely be a drydock refresh before the transfer. I'm always leery of sailing right before a ship heads to drydock. 

 

I'm warming to the idea of the Coral or the Sapphire. 

 

Curious about why you prefer not to cruise on a ship before dry dock? We were on the Carnival Splendor a month before it went to dry dock and I didnt notice anything... then again, I am very new to cruising so may not have known what to look for. Since I am now trying to choose between the Star and the Sun for my Alaska cruise, can you let me know your concersn so i can keep it in mind. THANKS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bubbapuck said:

you let me know your concersn so i can keep it in mind.

I'm concerned pending maintenance issues could be deferred until the pre-transfer drydock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 8:49 PM, bubbapuck said:

I am looking at two cruises now. One for the Star Princess, the other for the Royal Princess. Can anyone give me some insight on these ships and if you prefer one or the other for an Alaska cruise?

I have been on both. Royal Princess is a great ship but IMHO not for Alaska. No public forward viewing areas, no wraparound promenade deck etc. Not even a forward lounge with a view. For Alaska I want an open forward viewing area. The Star has multiple options for that. Star hands down for me in Alaska.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frugaltravel said:

I have been on both. Royal Princess is a great ship but IMHO not for Alaska. No public forward viewing areas, no wraparound promenade deck etc. Not even a forward lounge with a view. For Alaska I want an open forward viewing area. The Star has multiple options for that. Star hands down for me in Alaska.

Seriously, any Grand Class ship w/a clam shell up front is premium.  The wrap around deck is also perfect for Alaska. 

 

Here's  the wife and my sister on promenade  escape.jpg

 

framer

AK2021 or bust...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, framer said:

Seriously, any Grand Class ship w/a clam shell up front is premium.  The wrap around deck is also perfect for Alaska. 

 

Of course that is true.  But I was answering the poster's questions between the two ships s/he asked about 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2019 at 7:56 PM, framer said:

December 16th for Elites, 17th for everyone else I was told.

 

framer


No announcement from Princess regarding Alaska 2021 sale dates. Are these still the projected dates or did something change. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all of those curious, the itineraries are on the Princess website now for 2021. No pricing but it must be close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bubbapuck said:

For all of those curious, the itineraries are on the Princess website now for 2021. No pricing but it must be close.

 

As previously posted, today for Elites and tomorrow for everyone else. Pricing is there for Elites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, trish99 said:

Does it appear the current sale is applying to these sailings?


I asked my CVP and she said it is for any cruise after April 2020 so it would be.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...