Jr Suite Mariner Balcony safety

true45

We are booked on Mariner in a Jr Suite with 2 grandchildren.  We wanted the Panoramic suite with no balcony because it was 1-1/2 baths but as there are only 2 neither was available.

Our grands will be 8 & 12 and are well behaved but I wondered if there are any Extra safety ideas especially for sleep time.

Yes, I know, I’m the nervous type.

Thanks️🛥⛴🌴

Sure of course we will tell them 

22 minutes ago, gerif said:

Just tell them they are absolutely not permitted on the balcony without an adult. They are certainly old enough to understand this. Not like you’re dealing with toddlers. 

Was thinking about during the night when they might wake & be a bit disoriented.

It’s the 3rd cruise for the younger and 4th for older but the 1st balcony.

happy sailing 

thanks

2 minutes ago, true45 said:

Sure of course we will tell them 

Was thinking about during the night when they might wake & be a bit disoriented.

It’s the 3rd cruise for the younger and 4th for older but the 1st balcony.

happy sailing 

thanks

If you are really concerned you can buy an inexpensive plastic stick up alarm. We used them when the grands were small. Any hardware store should have them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gerif said:

If you are really concerned you can buy an inexpensive plastic stick up alarm. We used them when the grands were small. Any hardware store should have them. 

Never heard of them thank you

🌈

9 minutes ago, gerif said:

This! And bring a sliding door bar. The kind you put in a sliding door at home to keep it from opening. Tell them once you put it in place thats it for the night. The alarms just stick on with double sided tape and need batteries. There are 2 pieces and they have magnets in them when they are seperated they let let off a high pitched sound . They have an on and off switch on them. You can get them on amazon Or most hardware stores.

• Thanks 1

I honestly wouldn't worry about it, even if they are disorientated. The balcony doors are not that easy to open, so it isn't like it is something they would do on accident. Also, the railing is high up enough that they would have to be standing on something ot climbing on to the railing for it to be a danger to them. 

My then 9 year old sailed with her grandma in a balcony last spring and it was not something that concerned me. She was not able to open the door without assistance until the very end of the cruise and even then she struggled to get it open.  She wakes at night frequently due to some tummy troubles and we do travel with a battery operated nightlight for the bathroom that is fairly bright (and leave the door cracked) as well as a small flashlight by her bed.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 3monkeys4me said:

I honestly wouldn't worry about it, even if they are disorientated. The balcony doors are not that easy to open, so it isn't like it is something they would do on accident. Also, the railing is high up enough that they would have to be standing on something ot climbing on to the railing for it to be a danger to them. 

My then 9 year old sailed with her grandma in a balcony last spring and it was not something that concerned me. She was not able to open the door without assistance until the very end of the cruise and even then she struggled to get it open.  She wakes at night frequently due to some tummy troubles and we do travel with a battery operated nightlight for the bathroom that is fairly bright (and leave the door cracked) as well as a small flashlight by her bed.

I do travel with the little flashlights for them 🧳

2 hours ago, true45 said:

Our grands will be 8 & 12 and are well behaved but I wondered if there are any Extra safety ideas especially for sleep time.

On most newer ships, the balcony door has a child safety lock - if you need more than that, not sure much else would work either.

• Thanks 1

I believe that there is a ‘deadbolt’ type lock at the top of the balcony door that you can shut in addition to the regular lock but my mom opinion is unless there is a special needs consideration - you are probably worrying for nothing....my kids are 9 and 13 now and going on their 4th/3rd cruise as well next year.  They have only stayed in balconies including having their own room in 2017 (6 and 10 on that cruise!)..it’s going to be totally fine!!!  

(At that age - I expect more that they will make all sorts of friends on board and you will have a difficult time getting them home to go to bed all together! 

• Thanks 1