Stateroom Safe

m8zenblue

We have been on several cruises but never actually used the stateroom safe.

I attempted to locate how to use it on the internet and YouTube without success.

I have read that on some cruise lines that safe is used in conjunction with your sea pass and some are operated manually.

We will be on the Silhouette.

I would appreciate any guidance on how to use them, thanx.

29 minutes ago, m8zenblue said:

I attempted to locate how to use it on the internet and YouTube without success.

I have read that on some cruise lines that safe is used in conjunction with your sea pass and some are operated manually.

There are always instructions right there with the safe telling how to use that particular model.  It is really very simple.

If in doubt,  just ask your stateroom attendant or butler.

They have different models of safes on ships at different times.

The ships we have been on used a code. or occasionally a card.

As mentioned, there are always instructions,  just as with hotel room safes.

In general, on Celebrity ships we punched in either a 4 or 6 digit code (of your own choice) and then press a designated key to lock the safe.

The number you entered will be briefly displayed, so take a moment to look at it to be sure it is what you intended before pressing that last key to lock the safe.

To open it, you again punch in the same code.  You may (or may not)  then need to press a designated key to unlock the safe.

Whatever the method used, it is a good idea to practice locking and unlocking the safe first before you put anything in it to make sure it is working properly, so you don't encounter a problem of being unable to access something you want by locking it in there and then being unable to open the safe again.

But even if you should do that, don't worry because they can always get someone on the ship to open it for you.

Edited by varoo

They're usually one of two types - either slide any credit or other card (we've used our AAA membership card) or enter a 4 digit code that you set yourself.   I've never seen one use the seapass card.   Our last Celebrity cruise used the 4 digit code - very easy to use.    Just enter any code, then there's usually a 'lock' key to punch; the display will briefly show you the code you entered, so pay attention in case you entered something other than what you intended.   When you want to open it, enter the code again and it opens.    If you've never used one before, try locking/unlocking it once without putting anything in it, just in case you have problems.    

Oh, I just thought of one more thing.

It is a good idea to try out the safe upon embarkation when you enter the cabin to make sure it is working correctly, even if you don't have anything to put in it at the time.

That gives you time to report the problem and get it fixed in advance if something should be wrong, instead of waiting until you are ready to head to dinner to put your valuables in the safe and then first discovering that there is a problem.

• Like 1

It's similar to the ones you find in the Hotels, I always press RESET first, the my 4 digit lock code and lock, to open the 4 digits at it opens automatically. If you hit a wrong number push reset to erase and start again. Security personnel  can open it in case you can do it.

safe-1.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I always empty out the safe during the last evening of the cruise.  I want to avoid any issue the morning I'm leaving in case there are issues unlocking the safe.  It also gives me plenty of time to confirm that I've removed everything from the safe.

1 hour ago, m8zenblue said:

On that ship, there is a 4 digit code you enter to lock and then unlock.  Easy to operate.  However, be aware that the locks are battery operated and also subject to failure.   Ours failed  during the cruise and it did take a long time to remove the door.  Thank goodness it did not happen when we really needed our Passports, etc.  So empty it out the night before just in case....

1 hour ago, varoo said:

Oh, I just thought of one more thing.

It is a good idea to try out the safe upon embarkation when you enter the cabin to make sure it is working correctly, even if you don't have anything to put in it at the time.

That gives you time to report the problem and get it fixed in advance if something should be wrong, instead of waiting until you are ready to head to dinner to put your valuables in the safe and then first discovering that there is a problem.

Great advice. It's especially important to try it (EMPTY) several times until you get the hang of it to be sure the code you want is going to work to close and then open the safe. Otherwise it can be a pain in the south end to get maintenance to open it for you.

I have never had any safe on any Celebrity ship other than the one that uses a code (I have sailed all except Edge class).  I agree with trying it out first.  Even then, we also once (only once in 50+ cruises) had the battery go out.  Be advised that due to good security there are a limited number of people who are allowed to open your safe - your stateroom attendant not being one of them by the way.  Therefore it can take awhile before someone can get to you so don't wait until the last minute just in case.

FYI: The safe in our cabin on the newly revolutionized Summit in September did NOT flash the code

before locking.  In the past this was always a good way to double check that the desired code had

been entered.  Also, the revolutionized safes are considerably smaller than the old ones.  We agree

that it is wise to test the safe a couple of times before locking your valuables inside.

Mike and Mary

42 minutes ago, MikeMary4449 said:

FYI: The safe in our cabin on the newly revolutionized Summit in September did NOT flash the code

before locking. 

Same here on the Summit in September.  I reported it on the ship.  I think some folks did say it "flashed" for them.  In any event, it's a terrible flaw, whether intended or not working correctly.   (And if that's how it's meant to be, they need to replace those safes asap.)  And as you said, it's a very small safe.  It's fine for wallets, passports, phones, jewelry and other small valuables, but you won't be putting a large camera in there.   (I don't put my cameras in the safe in any event.) 

23 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Maybe it's just me, but I always empty out the safe during the last evening of the cruise.  I want to avoid any issue the morning I'm leaving in case there are issues unlocking the safe.  It also gives me plenty of time to confirm that I've removed everything from the safe.

this is great advice.  I recently was getting ready to check out of a hotel, and my passport was in the safe.  The batteries failed and I could not open it.  Fortunately the hotel maintenance person was able to quickly open it.  I was a little nervous because I was headed to the airport for an overseas flight.  

Another time (on a Celebrity ship) I tried and tried to get the safe to work (lock), but kept getting an error message.  I was about to call guest relations to have them send someone to repair it.  Then I read the instruction label  - I was using a 4 digit code but this model required a 6 digit code.  Lesson learned - read the instructions!

1 hour ago, Nachosdelux said:

this is great advice.  I recently was getting ready to check out of a hotel, and my passport was in the safe.  The batteries failed and I could not open it.  Fortunately the hotel maintenance person was able to quickly open it.  I was a little nervous because I was headed to the airport for an overseas flight.  

Another time (on a Celebrity ship) I tried and tried to get the safe to work (lock), but kept getting an error message.  I was about to call guest relations to have them send someone to repair it.  Then I read the instruction label  - I was using a 4 digit code but this model required a 6 digit code.  Lesson learned - read the instructions!

Good advice! I'm curious though since I've never seen anything other than the 4 digit code required. Do you remember what ship you were on?

A VERY good tip is That when you & your cabin mate are in the cabin for the night is to leave your safe OPEN, in case of an emergency or light malilfuntion you can gather your contents out of the safe & be on your way to your station. Saves a lot of time then trying to use a lighter to open the safe, just remember to lock the safe during the day when you leave your cabin.

george35