Cruise Critic Community
bdkb

8 ships in port!! Nachi or Mr. Sanchos?

Just looked and saw there will be 8 ships in port and it looks like 6 of them will arrive before us.  Our group (adults in our early 50's, no kids) was interested in going to Mr. Sanchos but now I'm  not sure that's a good idea.  I've never been there and was wondering do they limit the amount of guests for AI?  I know Nachi does but it has been many years since I've been there.  Loved it back then but thought it would be nice to try something different.  Now wondering if that's a good idea with that many ships?  We do want a lively atmosphere but not overcrowded to the point that service suffers.  The website states they don't mix AI guests with pay-as-you go guests, but does this acutally happen? Anyone been to Sanchos on a crowded port day and  have any input?  Thanks in advance.

Yikes, we're there on 11/20 on Celebrity Equinox, and there are 5 ships total including the Allure of the Seas, and I thought *that* was bad. We're actually not planning on anything, partly due to the expected crowds. I'm thinking we'll mostly stay on the ship, and maybe take a taxi to downtown San Miguel for lunch, if I can find some good recommendations on here (haven't looked yet...)

On very crowded days Sanchos will only sell AI access - no PAYG customers.  It will be crowded! 

If Nachi has space I would book that ASAP - wife and I much prefer Nachi over Sanchos.  My 20 something daughters prefer the lively atmosphere at Sanchos.

If that many ships arrive before you, expect most of the nicer beach clubs to be very busy. 

Have you considered doing the Cozumel Bar Hop?  It takes you to 4 different clubs on the other side of island.  I can recommend it. 

My video:

You get to see a different area of the island, you can order food at each stop, or drinks but cash only as there is zero electricity over there.  Cash only mandatory. Website:  www.cozumelbarhop.com

6 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

If that many ships arrive before you, expect most of the nicer beach clubs to be very busy. 

Have you considered doing the Cozumel Bar Hop?  It takes you to 4 different clubs on the other side of island.  I can recommend it. 

For an all adult group this would be my recommendation too. We always head off to the east side if we know it will be a busy day.

We would either take the Bar Hop or a private driver. ( we have used ToursPlaza many times). A private driver lets you set your own pace and gives you the flexibility to choose your own stops and set your own schedule and is suitable for parties with mixed ages. We have done both, and enjoyed both, many times.

If you are comfortable, and know in advance where you want to stop,without needing suggestions you can get a taxi from dispatch at the pier for a set number of hours ( agree price in advance).

Also the main tourist beach clubs will be busy late morning until early afternoon. Depending on you port hours you can always hit one of them after the rush for an hour if you  have a private driver.

17 hours ago, gordiej said:

Yikes, we're there on 11/20 on Celebrity Equinox, and there are 5 ships total including the Allure of the Seas, and I thought *that* was bad. We're actually not planning on anything, partly due to the expected crowds. I'm thinking we'll mostly stay on the ship, and maybe take a taxi to downtown San Miguel for lunch, if I can find some good recommendations on here (haven't looked yet...)

Five ships is nothing for Cozumel and between three piers is fairly normal.

My only recommendation is that you don’t leave returning to the ship too late when Oasis class is in because they usually do security on the pier  when the big ship is in instead of on the ship and there is usually a long line.

21 hours ago, gordiej said:

I'm thinking we'll mostly stay on the ship, and maybe take a taxi to downtown San Miguel for lunch, if I can find some good recommendations on here (haven't looked yet...)

We have friends who lived in Cozumel, and we asked them to take us to eat where the locals eat. Well, they took us to an Italian restaurant called Guido’s. Who would’ve thought? I was taken off guard a bit, thinking that they would take us to an authentic Mexican restaurant. My friends said that if they want to eat authentic Mexican food, they make it at home. Duh, 😂.

Long story short, Guido’s was fantastic. It’s right on the main Ave along the water. Beautiful restaurant with an indoor court. You truly step away from the mad chaos of cruise passengers clogging the street just outside. And our friends were right. Most patrons were locals, many enjoying a lunch break from work or a leisurely lunch with friends. And the food was mouthwatering. Even though it’s an Italian restaurant, they incorporate some Mexican elements, like Oaxaca cheese. 

I highly recommend this restaurant. It will give you a chance to try something a bit different than what most cruise passengers experience.  Here’s a link: https://www.guidoscozumel.com/

4 hours ago, Tapi said:

We have friends who lived in Cozumel, and we asked them to take us to eat where the locals eat. Well, they took us to an Italian restaurant called Guido’s. Who would’ve thought? I was taken off guard a bit, thinking that they would take us to an authentic Mexican restaurant. My friends said that if they want to eat authentic Mexican food, they make it at home. Duh, 😂.

LOL, yes, this is one of the ones I came across pretty quickly after some cursory research, but we're not going to have our one meal in Cozumel in an Italian restaurant, sorry! 😁

8 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Five ships is nothing for Cozumel and between three piers is fairly normal.

My only recommendation is that you don’t leave returning to the ship too late when Oasis class is in because they usually do security on the pier  when the big ship is in instead of on the ship and there is usually a long line.

Ah, okay, makes me feel better. Maybe we'll hit Paradise Beach, not sure we want an AI.

And thanks for the reco on security.

7 hours ago, gordiej said:

we're not going to have our one meal in Cozumel in an Italian restaurant, sorry! 😁

I hear ya! I felt the same way when our friends picked that place. But it was definitely the right choice. The food was Italian, but the restaurant’s decor, ambiance, and patrons were decidedly Mexican, but in a truly authentic, not touristy way. 

In all fairness, I probably would’ve never picked this restaurant either, if my friends hadn’t picked it out. 

Edited by Tapi

This past summer we were in Cozumel on a day when 5 ships arrived. We were the last to arrive. We had book Sanchos ahead of time, and twice (once when we told the taxi line person where we were headed, and once when we got in the taxi) we were asked if we had AI reservations, because they weren't taking any walkups. 

To say it was packed was an understatement. No one helped us find a table. Eventually, we found a table on the extreme end (right up against the rope, down by where they sell the banana boat tours). Our server was overwhelmed. It took us 45 min to get any type of food, and 20-30 min for drink orders. We had no luck finding beach loungers. Eventually we just gave up and headed to the pool. The pool bartenders were working insanely hard but just couldn't keep up. 

Finally, around 2 am, as some of the earlier arriving ships had their guests headed back, it started to open up some. 

6 hours ago, bobbyandali said:

This past summer we were in Cozumel on a day when 5 ships arrived. We were the last to arrive. We had book Sanchos ahead of time, and twice (once when we told the taxi line person where we were headed, and once when we got in the taxi) we were asked if we had AI reservations, because they weren't taking any walkups. 

To say it was packed was an understatement. No one helped us find a table. Eventually, we found a table on the extreme end (right up against the rope, down by where they sell the banana boat tours). Our server was overwhelmed. It took us 45 min to get any type of food, and 20-30 min for drink orders. We had no luck finding beach loungers. Eventually we just gave up and headed to the pool. The pool bartenders were working insanely hard but just couldn't keep up. 

Finally, around 2 am, as some of the earlier arriving ships had their guests headed back, it started to open up some. 

We have never been to Sanchos since we tend to try and avoid the family-type beach clubs unless we have grandkids with us but I am surprised they were overwhelmed with 5 ships, (unless they were all mega Ships) since 4-5 ships is quite common for Cozumel.  With all the ships that presently have mechanical problems that have been re-routed and the extra ships from the rerouted  Cuba sailings it has been quite common for even more ships to be in port recently. The popular beach clubs like Sanchos, Paradise Beach, Playa Mia are all likely to be “busy” during the middle of the day by the very virtue of the fact that they offer the extra activities (water toys/sports) that many people want.

For somewhere quieter you might look at Nachi Cocom, Palancar, Playa Azul, a day pass to one of the resort hotels or escape to the east side next time.

Nacchi Nacchi Nacchi 

(If that is your only two options)

However...

We are headed back to El Cozumeleno - its up North (as opposed to the beaches down South) and its not as busy.  No water toys though - but there is decent snorkeling and kayaking and other activities.

thanks for the input, I think we will most likely skip Sanchos.  Going to check out some of the other suggestions that were given.  We have a little time yet to figure out what to do.

On 11/5/2019 at 8:34 PM, bdkb said:

Just looked and saw there will be 8 ships in port and it looks like 6 of them will arrive before us.  Our group (adults in our early 50's, no kids) was interested in going to Mr. Sanchos but now I'm  not sure that's a good idea.  I've never been there and was wondering do they limit the amount of guests for AI?  I know Nachi does but it has been many years since I've been there.  Loved it back then but thought it would be nice to try something different.  Now wondering if that's a good idea with that many ships?  We do want a lively atmosphere but not overcrowded to the point that service suffers.  The website states they don't mix AI guests with pay-as-you go guests, but does this acutally happen? Anyone been to Sanchos on a crowded port day and  have any input?  Thanks in advance.

Yeah I am going to be there on Dec 5th with like 8 or 9 ships(possibly the same day you have).  For that date Mr. Sanchos is already sold out last I checked. 

Everyone has their own personal preference and not all agree.  Personally we would not go back to Nachi.  We thought the food(I know, subjective) was less than mediocre.  We will be in Cozumel again this April with 7 ships in port and will not get off of the ship.  Just our preference which is probably different than most.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:03 AM, bobbyandali said:

We will arrive in Cozumel on Dec 11 with Symphony OTS and there will be 8 ships that day...May not want to book anything and just play it by ear then... lol