Celebrity Xpedition runs aground in Galapagos

G.M.T.

2 minutes ago, sippican said:

It is really, really late for them to be dealing with the overbooking for a cruise that is only two weeks away. I think they have still been running on the hope to have the extra licenses approved. I'm skeptical that the cruise on the 15th will even happen at this point. They have been assuring people right along that their cruise was going to happen - and they were wrong. 

I understand your reluctance to go with the smaller ship, but at least it would have been a sure thing.

I agree in that I have little confidence that the ship will sail.  This has been my first experience with Celebrity and I am far from impressed, given the cost of the cruise and all the issues as described in CC.  We did not feel a 16 passenger catamaran was an appropriate option or would be a good experience.  We have sailed over 35 times on various river and ocean cruises.  Honestly, I would rather rebook on a future date.

• Like 1

Try this link:

https://www.shipcruises.org/2013/02/current-position-of-celebrity-xpedition.html

Looks like it's hanging out by Limon Bay, presumably standby for Panama Canal passage.  Scheduled to reach Galapagos on 

Feb 6, with a little bit of luck ... (well, ok, with a lot of luck given its past history!!)  Hope your friends sail as planned!

image.thumb.png.52f5a8f436c3f557c2065e625a02e87b.png

2 hours ago, savethepandas said:

Try this link:

https://www.shipcruises.org/2013/02/current-position-of-celebrity-xpedition.html

Looks like it's hanging out by Limon Bay, presumably standby for Panama Canal passage.  Scheduled to reach Galapagos on 

Feb 6, with a little bit of luck ... (well, ok, with a lot of luck given its past history!!)  Hope your friends sail as planned!

image.thumb.png.52f5a8f436c3f557c2065e625a02e87b.png

Interesting that the screen shot shows her status as "restricted maneuverabilty."  I wonder what that means?

I used marinetraffic.com just use Panama Canal for the port.  I was following Wind Star through the canal today and saw her there.  Actually, she is heading into the Gatun Locks now!  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

51 minutes ago, savethepandas said:

Seems like Cruise mapper showing the most updated position this morning.  Direction appears to be directly to Galapagos, as opposed to having to stop in Salinas for supplies, etc., hopefully.  Still scheduled to arrive on Feb 6 afternoon. 😊

image.png.57443a764e8e1a52a12859f43d8eae7e.png

Looking good!

It's possible they took advantage of provisioning at the shipyard and will finish up in Baltra. 

3 hours ago, cruising sister said:

I hope people who are boarding soon will come back and tell us how she is. We are looking to book fo December 2021 or January 2022 and trying to decide which ship. 

You may want to follow the Roll Calls Boards; Celebrity Connections/Xpedition/Recently Back 3.

That is where you are most likely to read updates.

No matter which you choose, it's the trip of a lifetime!