How is Canaletto on Nieuw Statendam?

Judyrem

Just now, Judyrem said:

When Olive Garden first debuted Many years ago and it was a novelty and my BFF from Sicily thought it was good, what can I say.  Everything I learned about Southern Italian cooking  was from her.

I never let other opinions influence my actions, if it is good FOR ME, that's all that matters.

I have not been lately but my son in law likes it too and he is a foodie and an excellent cook.

I was sad when the chain disappeared from Toronto.  I mean it was by no means a 5 star meal but the unlimited bread sticks and salad!  Yum!

Same thing with Red Lobster -- it's not amazing 5 star food, but for what you pay it's not bad!

I'm sure Canaletto will be a lot better.  Thinking I'm going to try it out, although Tamarind is really where I want to put most of my specialty dining money.  Wife and I love Asian --- looking at the menu I want EVERYTHING on it lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bamelin said:

I was sad when the chain disappeared from Toronto.  I mean it was by no means a 5 star meal but the unlimited bread sticks and salad!  Yum!

Same thing with Red Lobster -- it's not amazing 5 star food, but for what you pay it's not bad!

I'm sure Canaletto will be a lot better.  Thinking I'm going to try it out, although Tamarind is really where I want to put most of my specialty dining money.  Wife and I love Asian --- looking at the menu I want EVERYTHING on it lol

Olive Garden and Red Lobster are owned by the same company. Here in the US they are often side by side. That my be why they both left Toronto at the same time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Olive Garden and Red Lobster are owned by the same company. Here in the US they are often side by side. That my be why they both left Toronto at the same time.

Red Lobster is still around in Toronto but Olive Garden departed years back.

Love the unlimited bread sticks hehe … I'm not surprised they are owned by the same company although I didn't know that at all!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mvaughn11 said:

@GlennG can you please elaborate? Many here have replied that Canaletto is good. What has been your experience that you would rate it like Olive Garden? 

Any info. you could provide would be helpful. We are on NS for our 1st HAL cruise in 2 weeks and want to be able to make an informed decision. Thanks!

Sorry for the ambiguity.  To be more specific, I'm not wildly enthusiastic about the Olive Garden.  Canaletto is probably a "step above" the Olive Garden.  In my opinion, Canaletto is certainly not worth the "up-charge" that is currently levied from HAL patrons.  Don't rely on my assessment, however.  Most of the replies on this board have been quite positive.

2 hours ago, bamelin said:

Red Lobster is still around in Toronto but Olive Garden departed years back.

Love the unlimited bread sticks hehe … I'm not surprised they are owned by the same company although I didn't know that at all!

I guess I read your post wrong I thought you meant that Red Lobster left Toronto too. The same ownership also owns Longhorn Steak House. Just down the road from our home here in San Antonio there is a Red Lobster, Olive Garden and Longhorn Steak House all sharing the same parking lot. I have been here almost 6 years and have never eaten at any of them.

3 hours ago, GlennG said:

Sorry for the ambiguity.  To be more specific, I'm not wildly enthusiastic about the Olive Garden.  Canaletto is probably a "step above" the Olive Garden.  In my opinion, Canaletto is certainly not worth the "up-charge" that is currently levied from HAL patrons.  Don't rely on my assessment, however.  Most of the replies on this board have been quite positive.

I mostly agree with your thoughts.  I rarely patronize Olive Garden unless I have a coupon.  A smaller chain of Italian restaurants is Bravo's and Brio Italian.  I prefer them as compared to Olive Garden.  Comparable to Canaletto?  If the Chef and service staff at Canaletto are at the "top of their game",  No.  If not, Bravo's is great.  The inconsistency of the Canaletto dining experience from one HAL ship to another causes me to seriously hesitate to make a booking on any of my HAL sailings.  Princess' Sabatini's, as a specialty Italian restaurant, is consistently excellent, however.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

The inconsistency of the Canaletto dining experience from one HAL ship to another causes me to seriously hesitate to make a booking on any of my HAL sailings.  Princess' Sabatini's, as a specialty Italian restaurant, is consistently excellent, however.

We have found Canaletto to be very inconsistent, too.  It has never been really bad for us, though -- just sometimes better than other times.  We almost always do at least one Canaletto dinner and do enjoy it.  I agree it's hard not to compare it to Sabatini's -- which is always wonderful and in an entirely different class than Canaletto.  I wish HAL would do something like that.  A wonderful Italian dinner with wine is a very joyful experience on a cruise ship.

• Like 3