Credits offered unacceptable

cobre5

Hi There Anyone who sailed on the delayed Ce;ebrity Millenium cruise due 12th October but sailed 14th October due to typhoon. Celebrity have offered a refund for the loss of 2 nights at 60% of the actual cruise fare paid citing that they only offer credits based on a Basic Cruise Fare which in my opinion is a way of not paying out what is due. They also offered a 50% future cruise credit again based on this unknown Basic Cruise Fare which in my case is 60% of the actual fare paid.

If anyone out there is also unhappy with these unfair and unacceptable offers please let me know.

I will be also be writing a review of this cruise and in particular the ship  and this was the worst cruise ever

Colin Brewer

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, cobre5 said:

Hi There Anyone who sailed on the delayed Ce;ebrity Millenium cruise due 12th October but sailed 14th October due to typhoon. Celebrity have offered a refund for the loss of 2 nights at 60% of the actual cruise fare paid citing that they only offer credits based on a Basic Cruise Fare which in my opinion is a way of not paying out what is due. They also offered a 50% future cruise credit again based on this unknown Basic Cruise Fare which in my case is 60% of the actual fare paid.

If anyone out there is also unhappy with these unfair and unacceptable offers please let me know.

I will be also be writing a review of this cruise and in particular the ship  and this was the worst cruise ever

Colin Brewer

Please explain, further, the reason you believe this is 'unacceptable'.

Thank you and bon voyage

• Like 1

How long was your cruise? When you say that they are offering you a refund of 2 nights at 60% of the cruise fare do you mean that they are taking 60% of what you paid and pro-rating that for the 2 nights? Or are you getting a straight 60% of your cruise fare as a refund as compensation for missing 2 nights? The first one does seem terrible. The second one seems like a great offer as long as your cruise was at least 4 nights.

40 minutes ago, cobre5 said:

Colin Brewer

I haven't followed this cruise, so I would like to ask:  How long was the cruise?  You embarked two days late due to the typhoon, correct?  Did you sail the remaining days?  What compensation do you think you should have been given?

We have been involved in cruises shortened because of the weather and sea conditions.  It isn’t the cruise line fault as they don’t make or have control over the weather.

It appears as if you received a fair and  generous compensation.  

Can’t really judge as there isn’t enough info as another poster noted.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

How long was your cruise? When you say that they are offering you a refund of 2 nights at 60% of the cruise fare do you mean that they are taking 60% of what you paid and pro-rating that for the 2 nights? Or are you getting a straight 60% of your cruise fare as a refund as compensation for missing 2 nights? The first one does seem terrible. The second one seems like a great offer as long as your cruise was at least 4 nights.

12 days after the lost 2 days and they have offered 60% of the fare paid for 2 days not the full cruise price

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

OP, more details would be helpful. For example, while you didn't sail until the 14th, were you still able to board as scheduled on the 12th?

No we had to pay for 2 extra nights in Tokyo which cost almost a £1000 

52 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Please explain, further, the reason you believe this is 'unacceptable'.

Thank you and bon voyage

Quite obvious if you pay for 2 full days and get nothing then you expect the full 2 days payment returned

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Alsmez said:

So they offered you compensation for two nights that AMOUNTED to 60% of what you actually paid per day because it was based upon Basic Cruise Fare and not your actual cost?

Yes correct 

1 hour ago, cobre5 said:

Colin Brewer

The cruise was delayed, not cancelled. You are actually not entitled to any compensation...

The Standard Cruise Contract says in Para 6

6. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:

a) Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation. 

e) In the event that a Cruise (or the cruise component of a CruiseTour) is canceled or terminated early due to mechanical failures:
i) Passenger shall have a right to a full refund of the Cruise Fare if the Cruise is canceled in full, or a partial refund if the cruise is terminated early; 
ii) Carrier may cover or reimburse Passenger for additional costs (e.g. airline change fees) as deemed appropriate by the Carrier .
iii) If the passenger has travelled to the Vessel Passenger shall have a right to transportation (by means selected by the Carrier to the Vessel’s scheduled port of disembarkation or the Passenger’s home city; and
iv) Passenger shall have a right to lodging (selected by the Cruise Line) if disembarkation and an overnight stay in an unscheduled port are required due to the Cruise or cruise component of a CruiseTour being cancelled or terminated early because of such mechanical failures.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, cobre5 said:

No we had to pay for 2 extra nights in Tokyo which cost almost a £1000 

Sorry you missed 2 days of your special cruise.   Unfortunately, weather is  not  something in the cruise line's  control., so they could have stiffed you completely with no offer. But  there's no excuse for  some posters to be rude. Some day it could happen to them.

Will  any insurance cover the hotel and  other expenses for trip interruption or delay?

Were any ports missed?  Were any port  charges and pre paid excursions credited?

What is the value/  cash amount of the future cruise credit?  Any limits?  Time it expires?    Can you apply it to an already booked cruise? ( that could be valuable)

Good luck..hope you can get a better offer if you inquire politely  up the  food chain.,.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, cobre5 said:

Not a penny they do not care 

Well, if I was in your place, I'd be pretty upset too. Unfortunately, you agreed to the terms of a contract when making your cruise booking, and Celebrity is well within its rights. There's no question that the contract is very one-sided, but no-one is forced to agree to it. Given the provisions of the contract on the one hand, and the vagaries of maritime weather on the other, having appropriate travel insurance is the only defence in situations such as this.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

Sorry you missed 2 days of your special cruise.   Unfortunately, weather is  not  something in the cruise line's  control., so they could have stiffed you completely with no offer. But  there's no excuse for  some posters to be rude. Some day it could happen to them.

Will  any insurance cover the hotel and  other expenses for trip interruption or delay?

Were any ports missed?  Were any port  charges and pre paid excursions credited?

What is the value/  cash amount of the future cruise credit?  Any limits?  Time it expires?    Can you apply it to an already booked cruise? ( that could be valuable)

Good luck..hope you can get a better offer if you inquire politely  up the  food chain.,.

Thanks for your reply and comments. We did miss 2 ports Kobe and Kyoto and they added Shimizu for their convenience to allow travellers who missed the cruise in Yokohama to board the ship.

They offered £679  each against £1150 which I paid available up to 2 years on a new cruise but it's worth zero if we do not wish to sail with Celebrity. What I really want is the full credit for the 2 missed days.

I have not followed up on insurance as yet. They have only credited on their basic cruise cost which I do not believe anyone is aware of.

This is only the second time I have posted on Cruise Critic and rude comments seem to be the norm and Cruise Critic appear to accept these characters

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cobre5 said:

This is only the second time I have posted on Cruise Critic and rude comments seem to be the norm and Cruise Critic appear to accept these characters

I sometimes feel the same way, although most of the time other CC members are very helpful. I think this is one of those issues people get overly sensitive or opinionated about, and it becomes bigger than the actual problem at hand. Does it make sense? Absolutely not. But hey, at least your’s is a legitimate concern!

Unfortunately I don’t have an answer to your problem, but if you want to get your mind off it for a few minutes, here is a link to a thread that you should read through if you want a good laugh at the absurd side of CC. 😂

• Thanks 1

Did you book directly with Celebrity or with a TA.  If booked directly with Celebrity you should have a copy of their guest invoice which should have a line item called Cruise Fare.  Then there may be discounts for promo's or non-refundable deposits then a line for taxes fees port expenses. 

When booking with a TA there is another item called NCCF or Non Commisionable Cruise Fare on which the TA doesn't get paid commission.  Some TA sites list this separately as "Port Fee" and it's generally in the range of $250 - $350 pp.

In my experience with a FCC for a canceled cruise they said the FCC would be based on "Cruise Fare" and like you what I received was based on a lower number.  I was able to figure out it was based on Cruise Fare - NCCF which they were calling base cruise fare.  I argued with them that the amount they were quoting me appeared nowhere on my invoice and that there was nothing on my invoice called "Base Cruise Fare".  I just politely kept asking where I could see this on my invoice??

After a bit of round and round they put me on hold and came back and said they had adjust the FCC to what I expected based on "Cruise Fare" line item on my invoice.  Others on my roll call reported no issues at all but a couple of others had the same issue as I did.

Hope this helps.   I don't think you can expect a refund unless you can claim it from your travel insurance.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, cobre5 said:

Thanks for your reply and comments. We did miss 2 ports Kobe and Kyoto and they added Shimizu for their convenience to allow travellers who missed the cruise in Yokohama to board the ship.

They offered £679  each against £1150 which I paid available up to 2 years on a new cruise but it's worth zero if we do not wish to sail with Celebrity. What I really want is the full credit for the 2 missed days.

I have not followed up on insurance as yet. They have only credited on their basic cruise cost which I do not believe anyone is aware of.

I agree and in your shoes I would want/expect the full 2 days cruise fare pro-rated as a refund. I know people here like to point to the cruise contract, but you were sold a cruise for 14 days and received a cruise for 12 days. Not what you purchased. Hopefully if you stay on them you will get a better resolution.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, cobre5 said:

Please calm down yourself first, and others will respect you. Your input shows that you are very upset.

To clarify, the total price of a cruise consists of three components: basic cruise fare, non commissionable cruise fare (likely overhead), and government taxes. Only the first component relates directly to the cruise vacation, and to a certain extend, the taxes (includes port charges). Because the port charges are usually small by the person, cruise line don't usually refund it.

I had one weather related delay years ago. The ship could not dock until one day later. We missed one day onboard, we got back US$50 on board credit. We did not make a big issue out of it and we enjoyed the sailing.

Also, UK may have a different compensation than North America.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2