Cruise Critic Community
Michelle66

Must See's in The British Isle's

Seeking help from those who wish to help out a 2nd time Europe traveler, but first time in British Isle's. Just some port info, since we probably won't get back to Ireland/Scotland want to make sure we see some beautiful sites!! We are both in our 50's with no restrictions!!

Belfast - Giants Causeway or Gibbon's Hike?? We want to see beautiful countryside, we are traveling with friends who are a do it on your own people where I am a little uncomforatble and like someone to take me to places! I did post on the Gibbon's previously so know I need boats which doesn't help my need to pack a bag under 50 pounds for 18 days in Europe that has a 10 day cruise as part of it, but it does look so picturesque!! 

Greenock/Glasgow - Have read nice things about Edenburgh and the ship does have a do it on your own bus that goes there. Which makes me feel more comfortable than doing the train on our own! Is this a top thing to see in this part of the country?

Holyhead Wales -- ??

Cork -- I did see the Blarney Castle as a huge tourist thing but I don't think I would want to kiss the stone!! Ring of Kerry Tour I heard is wonderful but need something from the Port and I know this is far away.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!!

First, one question: what month are you travelling? For example, if travelling around June/July, I'd pick Gobbins over the Giant's Causeway, not only for the shorter drive (and presumably fewer crowds) but also for the chance to see puffins!

I assume that you have read this:

The Gobbins Path is an arduous trek that is often narrow and uneven, accessed by a very steep pathway. Due to the nature of the rugged coastal location suitable outdoor clothing and walking/hiking  boots with thick tread and ankle support are essential. Without exception, all guests must wear a safety helmet whilst experiencing The Gobbins. To enjoy The Gobbins a good level of fitness is needed. You must be fit enough to climb 50 flights of stairs and walk a very steep 1 in 5 gradient.

If that's what you want to do, and I can see the attraction, you could always wear the "boats" on the plane. I assume they will provide a helmet, so I would take a silk scarf to wear between head and helmet as you have no idea who wore it previously.

Edited by Bob++

9 hours ago, Bob++ said:

I assume that you have read this:

If that's what you want to do, and I can see the attraction, you could always wear the "boats" on the plane. I assume they will provide a helmet, so I would take a silk scarf to wear between head and helmet as you have no idea who wore it previously.

Yes I have read a lot some say strap others say the stairs are not all together so a break in between 😀it looks so cool we might try it I walk a lot hubby not so much and the couple we are traveling with are avid hikers so maybe they can carry us 🤣🤣I am going to be in the hunt for light boots!!

As you are keen hikers and I assume you dock at Holyhead in Wales, there is a lovely walk from town to the South Stack lighthouse which goes through the Breakwater County Park (little cafe there). There are a few routes (all circular) on the internet (one posted by the BBC) so have a look. Pretty sure that there will be local tourist information people when you get off the ship who can supply information. 

On 11/6/2019 at 8:38 PM, Michelle66 said:

Holyhead Wales -- ??

https://www.busybus.co.uk/wales-from-holyhead/

For a well-reviewed and sensibly-priced small-group tour of north Wales specifically for passengers on your cruise.

(books-out early)

Or DIY by train to Conwy Castle

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Journey time about an hour, return fare about £16.

( if you choose this, come back here for more details - Conwy is a "request" stop, and the station at Llandudno Junction, which is simpler and has more-frequent service, is only a short taxi ride )

JB :classic_smile:

I second the Busybus tour from Holyhead, we got to see a lot, though the weather was rather dreary with a drizzle almost all day long.

JB’s comment about Conwy (the castle and town are not to be missed!) makes me smile, a rather sizeable group of DIYers from our ship didn’t know this was a request stop and had to scramble to find their way back to port. They were so many of them the ship’s departure was delayed, they were lucky not to be left behind!

13 minutes ago, prish said:

I second the Busybus tour from Holyhead, we got to see a lot, though the weather was rather dreary with a drizzle almost all day long.

JB’s comment about Conwy (the castle and town are not to be missed!) makes me smile, a rather sizeable group of DIYers from our ship didn’t know this was a request stop and had to scramble to find their way back to port. They were so many of them the ship’s departure was delayed, they were lucky not to be left behind!

Rain?

In Wales????

I don't believe it :classic_wink:

In Snowdonia the hamlet of Capel Curig,  which I'm fairly sure is on the Busybus route, at one time had the unenviable distinction of being the wettest place in Britain.

Yes, the arrangements for alighting or boarding at Conwy station are very straightforward.

As long as you know them !!!

JB :classic_smile:

On 11/6/2019 at 3:38 PM, Michelle66 said:

Greenock/Glasgow - Have read nice things about Edenburgh and the ship does have a do it on your own bus that goes there. Which makes me feel more comfortable than doing the train on our own! Is this a top thing to see in this part of the country?

Does your ship not go to Edinburgh? When we took our British Isles cruise a couple of years ago, we docked in Greenock. Some people took excursions to Edinburgh for the Tattoo (but that is in August). And then we docked in South Queensferry for Edinburgh a couple of days later. 

When our ship docked in Greenock, we opted to take the train to Glasgow. I'm a big fan of Macintosh, so it was great to see his house preserved in the Hunterian Museum. We also went to Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, the Riverside Museum (transportation), and St Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art and the cathedral. We took the hop-on/hop-off buses to get around.

On 11/8/2019 at 8:47 PM, geoherb said:

Does your ship not go to Edinburgh? When we took our British Isles cruise a couple of years ago, we docked in Greenock. Some people took excursions to Edinburgh for the Tattoo (but that is in August). And then we docked in South Queensferry for Edinburgh a couple of days later. 

When our ship docked in Greenock, we opted to take the train to Glasgow. I'm a big fan of Macintosh, so it was great to see his house preserved in the Hunterian Museum. We also went to Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, the Riverside Museum (transportation), and St Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art and the cathedral. We took the hop-on/hop-off buses to get around.

Thanks Geoherb! We decided to take the cruise ship bus to Edinburgh and do it on our own, it was what I wanted to see and figure since it is a little drive may as well take a ship excursion so if something happens they will wait for us!! Rather than trying to figure out the train to save just a few dollars!!

We walked the Gobbins in June 2017. It is not a difficult walk apart from the climb back up at the end, that's not difficult just steep. It is really scenic and something different but I don't know if it's a must see for a first visit. And we didn't see any puffins as their nests were a bit distant. We just turned up and found they were fully booked but we were able to book for a few days later. But you do need to pay in full when you book so be prepared to lose your money if any issues with ship.

6 hours ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

We walked the Gobbins in June 2017. It is not a difficult walk apart from the climb back up at the end, that's not difficult just steep. It is really scenic and something different but I don't know if it's a must see for a first visit. And we didn't see any puffins as their nests were a bit distant. We just turned up and found they were fully booked but we were able to book for a few days later. But you do need to pay in full when you book so be prepared to lose your money if any issues with ship.

Giants Causeway ?? We did find a private tour that isn't too outrageous that will go here and along the Antrim Coast and stops along the way.....I think we might go that route??

If this is likely to be your only visit to the area then the Giants Causeway is certainly the more iconic sight and you will get to see lots of beautiful scenery along the way. Our daughter is currently studying at Queens university in Belfast so we have been trying to make the most of dropping off and picking up trips to explore the area a bit. This summer went to Fermanagh which is equally beautiful and next year hope to visit the Mourne mountains. But for a first visit with limited time the Giants Causeway and Antrim coast is probably your best bet.