Pullmantur Horizon ~ Dubai to Athens, March 15, 2020

KenC

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not a really fussy person and when I see pullmantur cruises going for 17 dollars per night I'm tempted to try. How does this line compare to some of the other lines? Are there other charges that inflate the cost?

Hi there,

The only extras are the taxes (usually around the same amount as the fare) and gratuities (which are compulsory).  The all inclusive brands are quite acceptable or you can upgrade for a small extra per drink.  Food is excellent as is the entertainment.  Spanish is the first language on board but the crew all speak English and announcements are made in Spanish, English and any other pax language required.  Ships are obviously older RCI and Celebrity models, with Grandeur of the Seas joining the fleet in 2021.

All in all we would recommend Pullmantur as excellent value for money and we've done over 40 cruises on various other lines.  The airfares to Europe or elsewhere are probably going to cost you more than the cruise hahaha!!!

Try it!!

5 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Do they re-christen the ships when they get acquired by Pullmantur?  

Not since RCI acquired an interest in the Spanish cruise line in 2006.  Sovereign, Monarch and previously Empress were all ex Royal Caribbean ships that just dropped 'of the Seas'.  Zenith and Horizon retained their Celebrity names minus the 'Celebrity' prefix.  It is anticipated that Grandeur of the Seas will become 'Grandeur' when she joins Pullmantur in 2021.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2020 at 2:02 PM, KenC said:

Anyone sailing from Dubai to Athens - lots of lovely warm sea days and an all inclusive cruise at remarkable rates!

Wont be on your ship, I will be flying from my home in Gran Canaria to join the Costa Diadema in Abu Dhabi, then a 24 day sail to Savona, the ship will be docked in Dubai on the same day as yours, I will give you a wave.  

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2020 at 8:46 PM, gerryuk said:

Wont be on your ship, I will be flying from my home in Gran Canaria to join the Costa Diadema in Abu Dhabi, then a 24 day sail to Savona, the ship will be docked in Dubai on the same day as yours, I will give you a wave.  

Hi Gerry

how far did you get to Abu Dhabi??  We spent 6 days in Dubai before the cruise with Pullmantur saying yes it's on, even changing the itinerary to no stops until a few stops in Turkey and Mykonos.  Then with less than 24 hours notice it was cancelled and we had to scramble round for flights back to Malaga!

Not sure what compensation we will get as we booked through a US agent and Pullmantur won't talk directly to us.

How are you doing in lockdown?  Looks like the infection rates in the Canaries is quite low - marginally better than those here in Andalucia.  Wouldn't want to be living in Madrid right now, it.s a nightmare!

Cheers

Ken

14 hours ago, mikeedm said:

Gerry, too bad you won’t be sailing there this year. Check out the same itinerary for March 13, 2021.  I’ve booked it and you might like to think of that. Could be great fun.  Mike

I flew in to Abu Dhabi at 03.30 (it took 24 hours from Las Palmas to get there), I went straight to bed and awoke to a email from Costa that the cruise would now be starting from Dubai, not Abu Dhabi. I made my way by bus to Dubai port the following day and spent 12 hours there before they cancelled it. I was put up at the Marriot hotel in Dubai and flown back to Gran Canaria the following day. I arrived in Las Palmas the day the lockdown started, its like being in a prison cell, however to stay safe, its worth it.

I have tried with Costa to rebook the same cruise next year, 14th March Abu Dhabi to Savona via Dubai. The cost of next years cruise is 500 more than I paid this year but Costa are insistent that I pay the difference, which I am not prepared to do. I have a cabin on hold for this and have to inform Costa no later than 2nd April, as to whether I pay the difference or take a refund for this years cruise. If I don't get any joy from Costa than I might look at Pullmantur.

Gerry, what a major hassle you’ve had!  I’ve not yet travelled on Costa, and from reading this mess they’ve created for you, I’m sure that will affect my interest in that line. As it turns out, I’m going to be in Las Palmas on November 11 of this year, assuming Royal Caribbean is operating then and doesn’t change its planned Transatlantic crossings. If you’d be willing to assist offline I’d be happy to get some ideas about your home island.  Mike