Booked 1st Oceania cruise today-a few questions

NCHPcruiser

We booked our first Oceania cruise today (Marina back to back, August 7-29, 2021) and I have a few questions to start off with.  I’m sure I’ll have others!  We are in a PH2 and our TA will send an email when we are able to make our specialty reservations (sometime in May I believe).  At that point, is it difficult to get preferred times?  Is La Reserve booked prior to boarding?   I understand that we may make other reservations once onboard and getting preferred times at that point would be more difficult and vary cruise to cruise.    

I think we are able to bring six bottles of wine onboard.  Are we able to bring 12 bottles aboard initially since we are on a back to back?   Is this a strict policy?  It seems in the past I remember reading on CC about people bring significantly more than 6 bottles onboard but this may have changed.   In any event it is better than Celebrity’s two bottle policy.  We have the beverage package and will upgrade once onboard.  

For anyone who has also cruised in a suite on Celebrity,  is a PH fairly comparable in size to a Sky Suite on a S-class ship?  

Are Roll Calls generally active?  I ask because we prefer small group tours (less than 10) and have in the past either organized or joined tours with others on our Roll Call and are hoping to do the same in a few ports on this itinerary.

We are excited about sailing on a ship much smaller than any of our previous cruises!  And for me, the planning is half the fun.  

Thank you!

Martha

I've always booked La Reserve online in advance of the cruise.  It's a small space (3 tables for eight) and there are only a few meals offered on a cruise.  Generally I'm quite sure that it is fully booked before you board.  You can find the menus at the website.

The usual advice about the specialty restaurants is that booking asap is advisable if you want "medium" times.  We usually try for a 7:30 time.  If you are in a PH I don't think you'll have a problem getting a time you want.  We're usually in a PH or higher and even when in a PH we never had a problem getting the time we wanted.  We do usually share -- sometimes with people we've met on the roll call, sometimes with people Oceania assigns to the table.

I agree that there won't be a problem bringing on a case of wine!

Mura

• Like 1

OP : Book specialty reservations within 5 minutes of when your booking window opens.

There are no B2B cruises on Oceania. There are "extended journeys" and "custom cruises." Another discussion will describe why the correct terminology is so important.

Disregard the published CYA limits on wine.

we regularly bring a case even on shore cruises. Just don't abuse the generous personal alcohol policy you sneaking your stuff into public areas.

• Like 1

The date for booking dining reservations will be on your invoice  usually page 3

You can also check into "MY ACCOUNT" on Oceania's website   & set up your cruise  there

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/

then you can see  the date  for reservations  also excursions etc..

You can look at the Sq Footage of the cabins on O website  & then compare with Celebrity

as other have said  no problem with more wine  you can always pick up more in the ports along the way if you want

Enjoy

• Like 2

When you bring your own wine, can anyone tell me what the corkage fee is? I think that is just for opening in the restaurants and the Terrace, right? Is there a gratuity added or simply the corkage fee? Will they recork a bottle and bring it to you in the bars? Thanks for any info

5 minutes ago, ghdool said:

When you bring your own wine, can anyone tell me what the corkage fee is? I think that is just for opening in the restaurants and the Terrace, right? Is there a gratuity added or simply the corkage fee? Will they recork a bottle and bring it to you in the bars? Thanks for any info

I'll add to this and ask if I bring a bottle of wine to wherever, may I then take it back to our cabin?  TIA

55 minutes ago, ghdool said:

Corkage fee is $25 per bottle  when you take it to the dining venues  no added gratuity

they will mark the bottle with your cabin number & store it for you  not sure if they will bring it to the bars  but you can always ask

we just save our bottle for  another night at dinner

I appreciate everyone’s answers!  It is nice to know that we can bring wine aboard from shore excursions.  I’ll also be sure to book our specialty dining as soon as permitted.  Will also book La Reserve in advance.   

LH2, upon further inspection of my invoice I did find when we are able to book reservations. 

Flatbush Flyer, I’ll be sure to reference our cruise as an “extended journey” in the future!   Perhaps someone could explain why the distinction between “back to back” and “extended journey” is important.   

Hi

if you already have the "free" beverage package and you intend to "upgrade" AND BYO wine on board. Do have a think about this and work out which will be cheaper for you. It may depend on if there's a certain wine that you prefer.

Have a great cruise

Josie x

When we've been a suite that provides the 6 bottles gratis, yes, we've been able to bring the bottle back to the cabin rather than have them store it for us.  I also remember one evening some years ago when we'd purchased a bottle but the wait staff never collected it at the end of the meal.  We waited a while to see if someone would come around and when no one did, we took it back to our room.  It was already labeled with our room number so had we taken it back to a restaurant later (I don't recall if we did but we probably did so), then they'd know the corkage fee had already been paid.

I would think that you will be able to take the bottle back to your room if that is what you wish.  When the wine steward opens your bottle, why not tell him or her that's what you want to do?

4 hours ago, Mura said:

When we've been a suite that provides the 6 bottles gratis, yes, we've been able to bring the bottle back to the cabin rather than have them store it for us.  I also remember one evening some years ago when we'd purchased a bottle but the wait staff never collected it at the end of the meal.  We waited a while to see if someone would come around and when no one did, we took it back to our room.  It was already labeled with our room number so had we taken it back to a restaurant later (I don't recall if we did but we probably did so), then they'd know the corkage fee had already been paid.

I would think that you will be able to take the bottle back to your room if that is what you wish.  When the wine steward opens your bottle, why not tell him or her that's what you want to do?

Thanks, Mura.  We might want a little post-dinner and pre-sleep 🙂

23 hours ago, NCHPcruiser said:

We booked our first Oceania cruise today (Marina back to back, August 7-29, 2021) and I have a few questions to start off with.  I’m sure I’ll have others!  We are in a PH2 and our TA will send an email is we are able to make our specialty reservations (sometime in May I believe).  At that point, is it difficult to get preferred times?  Is La Reserve booked prior to boarding?   I understand that we may make other reservations once onboard and getting preferred times at that point would be more difficult and vary cruise to cruise.  

ATSEAMYLIFE  is right about timing for reservations for specialties.  However, watch you account in "My Bookings" in the website for the La Reserve offerings.  La Reserve is a separate reservation that is open to everyone regardless of stateroom/suite.  La Reserve dates will appear at no particular time and vary  from voyage to voyage.  You can also use shipboard credit in advance to pay for your reservations.  Occasionally additional nights/menus will be added to a voyage if they are in demand.  We have been lucky to book once onboard.  

I think we are able to bring six bottles of wine onboard.  Are we able to bring 12 bottles aboard initially since we are on a back to back?   Is this a strict policy?  It seems in the past I remember reading on CC about people bring significantly more than 6 bottles onboard but this may have changed.   In any event it is better than Celebrity’s two bottle policy.  We have the beverage package and will upgrade once onboard.  

Do not stress about the written policy.  Oceania treats their clientele as responsible adults.  We are especially partial to Italian wines.  So when we cruise anywhere in the Mediterranean, we always stock up.  We often restock at every other port, depending on who we are traveling with.   If we are patient, pinotlover may chime in with more detailed info on packing and carrying wine.  I am always taken aback by Oceania guests who are still uninformed about the policy of bringing your own wine/spirits aboard.  Our last cruise people on the shuttle asked us if we were worried that our bags laden with 8 bottles of wine might be confiscated.  The answer is a resounding "NO"

For anyone who has also cruised in a suite on Celebrity,  is a PH fairly comparable in size to a Sky Suite on a S-class ship?  

Are Roll Calls generally active?  I ask because we prefer small group tours (less than 10) and have in the past either organized or joined tours with others on our Roll Call and are hoping to do the same in a few ports on this itinerary.

We are excited about sailing on a ship much smaller than any of our previous cruises!  And for me, the planning is half the fun.  

Thank you!

Martha

Enjoy your cruise!

Katie

4 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Keep in mind the time to book your reservations is 12:01 AM EST.  We just booked for our NYE cruise on Insignia and were able to book at 9:01 PM PST the date prior to what our invoice showed.  

Another advantage to living on the "Left Coast." 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 4:46 AM, NCHPcruiser said:

......Flatbush Flyer, I’ll be sure to reference our cruise as an “extended journey” in the future!   Perhaps someone could explain why the distinction between “back to back” and “extended journey” is important.   

Oceania no longer permits people (or TAs) to book consecutive cruise segments for you (each with a separate booking number, i.e., "back-to-back" cruiseS)

Instead, they market/publish two or more consecutive cruise "segments" (with a single booking number and unique name) as "extended journeys" with a discounted total price. 

In the event that you want to book two or more consecutive segments, which are not officially published/marketed as "extended journeys," a "custom cruise," also with a single booking number and similarly discounted total cost, will be assembled for you.

There are some other pluses beyond the discounted cabin cost (but also the occasional minus) regarding certain perks with these multi-segment cruises. The bottom line deal will be based on interrelated conditions (cruise length, air credit, O Club Credits/SBC, restaurant reservation times, etc) and it can get a bit complicated though the overall value math is doable in terms of determining "great deal"'or not.

Nonetheless, if you want the consecutive segments, no matter whether "extended journey" or "custom cruise," you cannot book two (or more) separate cruises with individual booking numbers (which Oceania would consider "back-to-back" cruiseS).

Our first time on the Insignia we did the 15 days PC (San Juan to San Francisco)  There was a lady who had been on her for four months booking different segments as she went.  Apparently, her husband got sick and died just prior to "their" cruise beginning and he made her promise to go without him.  Originally, they were to do a Med, TA, and Caribbean.  She decided to stay on until she decided not to.  She would book the open cabins that became available and move around the ship.  The crew told us if she sticks to her plan she will be on the ship for another four months.  We were offered to stay on for two more weeks in the middle of our cruise for about half price if we wanted.  Sadly, we couldn't.  Wish I'd been retired then.      

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Oceania no longer permits people (or TAs) to book consecutive cruise segments for you (each with a separate booking number, i.e., "back-to-back" cruiseS)

This is not always the case.

We are booked on a B2B2B (3 segments) on Marina in Nov 2020 with 3 separate booking numbers and Plat benefits for each segment.

Granted, they are not advertised as “extended journeys” - only as individual cruises.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

This is not always the case.

We are booked on a B2B2B (3 segments) on Marina in Nov 2020 with 3 separate booking numbers and Plat benefits for each segment.

Granted, they are not advertised as “extended journeys” - only as individual cruises.

Either someone did you a "solid" OR the home office hasn't corrected the TA "error" yet. As you are "platinum," that may have been a consideration in making it work for you.

From personal experience, the "rules" are sometimes like the Pirate Code (i.e., more a "set of guidelines").

That said, am I correct in assuming that the separate Platinum SBC, air credits and cruise credits worked out better for you than did the cabin discount of the "custom" cruise (single booking number)?

However, if you got a cabin discount on top of the triple platinum stuff, you are my hero😉

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

6 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Either someone did you a "solid" OR the home office hasn't corrected the TA "error" yet. As you are "platinum," that may have been a consideration in making it work for you.

From personal experience, the "rules" are sometimes like the Pirate Code (i.e., more a "set of guidelines").

Let’s hope that it stays “as is” - I would much prefer a B2B2B for a number of reasons 😊

32 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

I am going on a B2B in January with two separate booking numbers.  I have no status, so nobody did me a favor.  I have already made two final payments, so it is a done deal.  

Good to know - thanks.

56 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

I am going on a B2B in January with two separate booking numbers.  I have no status, so nobody did me a favor.  I have already made two final payments, so it is a done deal.  

Were you given an approx. 5% discount from Oceania on the total cost of the two cabins (i.e., above and beyond any book onboard discount and compared to the sum of the individual cruises?

If you are paying the regular published cost of the two cruises and you have no "status" for O Club loyalty SBC, OOPS! You should've asked your TA to do the math on creating a "custom cruise" with a single booking number and an approx 5% discount just on the cruise.

2 hours ago, Nymich said:

Call it B2B or 2 in a row or be PC and call it an extended journey.  It's your money call it what you wish.    🙂

Perhaps you're missing the crucial point:

What it is booked as (the types described above) can mean a significant amount of savings.