Does Royal still allow drinks in the hot tub/ pool?

14 hours ago, normannna said:

I'd prefer it wasn't allowed.  I've seen drinks being spilled and think its a bit unhygienic.  Hope Royal follows Norwegian on this.

Also don't see the fascination for people sitting in the pools for hours on end drinking and sometimes the pool becomes too crowded!

Don't go in if you don't like it.

Very little grows in hot tubs, due to the chemicals used.

Legionella typically grows in warm pipes, that do not have a lot of flow.

It does need to aerosolized to infect, as it is a respiratory disease.  But it is also a poor pathogen.  It requires a host with a degraded immune system.  Healthy people don't typically get it.  It is a common environmental organism.

But it took a bunch of older people, partying a lot, getting no sleep, many with underlying health issues.

Hmm, that does sound like some cruise passengers. 

11 hours ago, MericaAR15 said:

How is not having a drink in a hot tub "common sense"?

Asking for a friend.

Extreme Dehydration

Hot tubs and alcohol are dehydrating.

It’s unlikely to feel perspiration when you’re immersed in hot water, but that doesn’t mean you’re not sweating. When you lose sweat from your body, you become dehydrated. And further dehydration happens when you consume alcohol. A pounding headache the next morning, dizziness, nausea, hasty heartbeat, utmost thirst, weakness and even coma or death can be some of the consequences of dehydration.

Heat Exhaustion

Heat from the hot tub and alcohol inflates your blood vessels and upturns your body temperature, leading to heat exhaustion, which can cause unconsciousness, and sometimes even a stroke or heart attack. Experience dizziness, headache, nausea, heart palpitation or excessive sweating? Get out from the hot tub as soon as possible, conclude drinking alcohol, commence drinking water and take a cool shower.

11 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

Extreme Dehydration

Hot tubs and alcohol are dehydrating.

It’s unlikely to feel perspiration when you’re immersed in hot water, but that doesn’t mean you’re not sweating. When you lose sweat from your body, you become dehydrated. And further dehydration happens when you consume alcohol. A pounding headache the next morning, dizziness, nausea, hasty heartbeat, utmost thirst, weakness and even coma or death can be some of the consequences of dehydration.

Heat Exhaustion

Heat from the hot tub and alcohol inflates your blood vessels and upturns your body temperature, leading to heat exhaustion, which can cause unconsciousness, and sometimes even a stroke or heart attack. Experience dizziness, headache, nausea, heart palpitation or excessive sweating? Get out from the hot tub as soon as possible, conclude drinking alcohol, commence drinking water and take a cool shower.

Common sense = wear warm clothes when it's cold out, don't touch glowing hot metal, don't eat yellow snow, etc.

Miraculously, an untold number of adults responsibility enjoy alcoholic beverages in hot tubs without suffering dehydration or heat stroke or even spilling their drinks.

It's really fun, you should try it! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, MericaAR15 said:

Common sense = wear warm clothes when it's cold out, don't touch glowing hot metal, don't eat yellow snow, etc.

Miraculously, an untold number of adults responsibility enjoy alcoholic beverages in hot tubs without suffering dehydration or heat stroke or even spilling their drinks.

Nah.....I'll have my alcohol at the bar. Possible dehydration and heat stroke aren't what I want to put up with on a cruise. If untold number of adults want to partake in the hot tub and think it's really fun, fine.  People do a lot of things that can be detrimental to their health.

20 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Nah.....I'll have my alcohol at the bar. Possible dehydration and heat stroke aren't what I want to put up with on a cruise. If untold number of adults want to partake in the hot tub and think it's really fun, fine.  People do a lot of things that can be detrimental to their health.

Sure, people do a lot of things that can be detrimental to their health, but I must have missed the epidemic of hot tub related health issues and occurrences.  Common sense implies the ability to understand things shared by nearly all people.  Clearly, this isn't the case with drinking in a hot tub, unless you have underlying health issues.

If we never did anything because of the possibilities of what COULD happen, even if the chances were incredibly slim, then we wouldn't even go cruising due to fear of being involved in an auto accident, plane crash, or the ship sinking.  We would just stay in underground bunkers, and that's no fun at all.

• Like 1

I have seen many people with drinks in the pool and hot tub while cruising with RCI. 

That being said, I am also someone that NEVER gets in the pool or hot tub. I'll sit and drink in my own pool and spa at home with my friends for hours, we call it the hot tub time machine because it starts out mid afternoon and all of the sudden, next thing you know, it's 3am. But stewing in human soup of my own choosing is different than being with a ton of strangers. 

We were in Cabo in December for 10 days  at a 5 star all inclusive resort for a large work event. Everyone would spend hours and hours in the pool, never leaving. After a few days, and a few drinks, I asked why no one ever had to get out to go to the restroom....it was a question I regret asking everyday since 😭😭

Edited by SherieW321

2 hours ago, MericaAR15 said:

46 minutes ago, MericaAR15 said:

Sure, people do a lot of things that can be detrimental to their health, but I must have missed the epidemic of hot tub related health issues and occurrences.  Common sense implies the ability to understand things shared by nearly all people.  Clearly, this isn't the case with drinking in a hot tub, unless you have underlying health issues.

If we never did anything because of the possibilities of what COULD happen, even if the chances were incredibly slim, then we wouldn't even go cruising due to fear of being involved in an auto accident, plane crash, or the ship sinking.  We would just stay in underground bunkers, and that's no fun at all.

Common sense = sweating is dehydrating... common sense = alcohol is dehydrating.  If that is not common sense, well that says a lot about us humans huh?

Unless they are chugging bottles of water, and have no sweat glands, and somehow are not affected by ADH being suppressed in the body from the alcohol... they all suffer from some dehydration. No underlying health issue needed just drink plenty of water afterwards. 

Yes.. ER visits happen often from the hot tub/alcohol combination... Especially in CO (I'm from there, I'm sure it happens elsewhere as well) between Nov-Mar when it is cold outside, and people think they have a higher tolerance to the hot tub. Stupidity is not an infectious disease so there will be no notification of an "epidemic." 🤣

20 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Common sense = sweating is dehydrating... common sense = alcohol is dehydrating.  If that is not common sense, well that says a lot about us humans huh?

Unless they are chugging bottles of water, and have no sweat glands, and somehow are not affected by ADH being suppressed in the body from the alcohol... they all suffer from some dehydration. No underlying health issue needed just drink plenty of water afterwards. 

Yes.. ER visits happen often from the hot tub/alcohol combination... Especially in CO (I'm from there, I'm sure it happens elsewhere as well) between Nov-Mar when it is cold outside, and people think they have a higher tolerance to the hot tub. Stupidity is not an infectious disease so there will be no notification of an "epidemic." 🤣

Nobody was disputing that alcohol or being in a hot tub is potentially dehydrating.  Rather, the dispute is regarding the idea that not drinking in a hot tub or pool is common sense.  The existence of this thread and its participants substantiates the fact that many people do in fact drink in hot tubs/pools without issue, quite frequently, thus showing that it's common to do so.  Therefore, not drinking in a hot tub cannot be labeled common sense.

Now, staying hydrated, limiting your time in a hot tub while drinking, and stopping drinking and removing yourself from the hot tub if you feel any adverse effects is something different altogether.

I just find the condescension toward drinking in a hot tub or pool rather humorous, that's all.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MericaAR15 said:

Nobody was disputing that alcohol or being in a hot tub is potentially dehydrating.  Rather, the dispute is regarding the idea that not drinking in a hot tub or pool is common sense.  The existence of this thread and its participants substantiates the fact that many people do in fact drink in hot tubs/pools without issue, quite frequently, thus showing that it's common to do so.  Therefore, not drinking in a hot tub cannot be labeled common sense.

Now, staying hydrated, limiting your time in a hot tub while drinking, and stopping drinking and removing yourself from the hot tub if you feel any adverse effects is something different altogether.

I just find the condescension toward drinking in a hot tub or pool rather humorous, that's all.  

I find those that think information is "condescension," humorous. I actually wrote... "no underlying health issue needed, just drink plenty of water afterwards." That is not even close to a condescending attitude.

Also.. I didn't say pool. As long as plenty of people are around.. go for it. However, based on what we witnessed on the Mariner in August, don't expect too many people, including the ship's nurse and the lifeguards, to really know what they are doing when trying to save you, should you pass out in the water.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

POSSIBLE, not PROBABLE.

Drinking at the bar especially when you cruise to warm climates when home is chilly or cold, puts you at a similar risk.

15 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

I find those that think information is "condescension," humorous. I actually wrote... "no underlying health issue needed, just drink plenty of water afterwards." That is not even close to a condescending attitude.

Also.. I didn't say pool. As long as plenty of people are around.. go for it. However, based on what we witnessed on the Mariner in August, don't expect too many people, including the ship's nurse and the lifeguards, to really know what they are doing when trying to save you, should you pass out in the water.  

You appear to be taking this personally, so please allow me to clarify: 
1. My remark about condescension was towards the original comment about not drinking in a hot tub being common sense.  It's not common sense, it's just someone's opinion.

2. You have presented me with absolutely no information that I was previously unaware of, and I am not offended by statements of fact.  Specifically, drinking alcohol and being in a hot environment can cause dehydration.  Knowledge of these facts is a good thing, and I hope this discourse brings awareness to these potential issues for those so uninformed. PLEASE DRINK RESPONSIBLY, USE THE HOT TUB RESPONSIBLY AND KNOW YOUR LIMITS!!!

3. My inclusion of pools is due to the context of this thread, as well as the original comment I was addressing.  Please, go back and read for yourself.

Relax, my good dude 🙂

"You appear to be taking this personally, so please allow me to clarify: 
1. My remark about condescension was towards the original comment about not drinking in a hot tub being common sense.  It's not common sense, it's just someone's opinion.'"

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

It's not just my opinion..... I took my original posts about dehydration from one of dozens of pages on the internet regarding drinking alcohol while sitting in a hot tub.  I didn't just make it up.

But hey, I'm not going to argue with you.  You have fun in your hot tub with drink in hand - whatever floats your boat (ship) and I'll be watching y'all from my chair at the bar.  That's 'my' version of common sense.

Enough said from me about this - it's cocktail time!

Happy cruising!

Edited by Diver2014
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2019 at 11:17 AM, Diver2014 said:

"You appear to be taking this personally, so please allow me to clarify: 
1. My remark about condescension was towards the original comment about not drinking in a hot tub being common sense.  It's not common sense, it's just someone's opinion.'"

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

It's not just my opinion..... I took my original posts about dehydration from one of dozens of pages on the internet regarding drinking alcohol while sitting in a hot tub.  I didn't just make it up.

But hey, I'm not going to argue with you.  You have fun in your hot tub with drink in hand - whatever floats your boat (ship) and I'll be watching y'all from my chair at the bar.  That's 'my' version of common sense.

Enough said from me about this - it's cocktail time!

Happy cruising!

Just like many things in life, it is about informed behavior.

It is not about common sense.  As most common sense is wrong.

Yes, alcohol consumption while in a hot tub does increase the risk of heat related diseases.    But use of a hot tub for someone not acclimated to the heat does the same thing.   Even just taking a vacation in a warmer environment, when your body is acclimated to cold is a high risk for heat related diseases.

I have seen workers on the borderline of heat exhaustion in temperatures in the low 60s.  But a warm couple if days in a very cold January.  

Most hot tubs have some type of warning against consuming alcohol while using it. The reason is that the hot water dilates the blood vessels, increasing the blood flow and, with the possible fluid loss from increased sweat, enhancing the chance for more rapid effects from the alcohol. The risk really is not from use of any alcohol, but instead from not recognizing that alcohol impairment (effect on judgement) may occur sooner than normal, and that a user may not recognize the effects of the hot water on circulation and the heart. 

The poster should not have tried so hard to make the idea of no alcohol being "common sense." A better phrasing in the context of a cruise would have been to emphasis the need for caution while using alcohol in a hot tub.

Effects do not need to be probable to suggest caution--the increased possibility of an adverse event is enough, especially when the type of effect (cardiac arrest, among others) is serious. Since many people in cruise hot tubs may not use them regularly, it is sensible to advise caution.

Anyone get upset with that idea?

Edited by mayleeman

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

After seeing someone with a colostomy bag in a hot tub, I no longer will put a toe in any hot tub but my own. Let alone drink in one.

This may be a valid reason for heavy drinking before getting into the hot tub.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jean87510 said:

After seeing someone with a colostomy bag in a hot tub, I no longer will put a toe in any hot tub but my own. Let alone drink in one.

Cleaner and safer that someone who does not wipe thoroughly. 😄

• Haha 1

When I was on symphony in September we had to leave our drinks on the side of the pool while we were in the water. If we were sitting by the pool with a drink that was fine. But couldn’t drain our drinks while in the pool. 

That was was the first time we were told that.