Price drops - what can we do ?

The Regent brochure price for our cruise in August 2020 has dropped significantly.

we booked with a UK TA about a month ago and have paid the Regent deposit as well as the full cost of a separate pre-cruise stay booked with the TA.

i understand that some cruise lines allow you to “re-fare” as long as you are not fully paid and all room types are showing available, which is the case for our cruise. However I have to admit that I cannot see anything in The Terms And Conditions on their website that suggests that Regent have a policy to that effect.

is that correct? Is there anything I can do? I have contacted my TA; unfortunately the girl I booked it with, who handles all cruise bookings, is off ill at the moment and the person I spoke to admitted knowing virtually nothing, but did say she would contact Regent. I didn’t get a great feeling of confidence tbh.

The price drop is so significant that it might be better to cancel, lose the Regent deposit and then re-book.

Edited by Belfast Taxman

We haven't had this happen yet, and likely won't considering the cruises I have booked are popular and sold out or nearly sold out.  But since you can cancel a cruise and shift the $100 non-refundable to a new cruise then you conceivably "cancel" the cruise and "re-book."  I imagine Regent, like other cruise lines, will simply honor a price reduction when prior to Final Payment.  Definitely keep after your TA and push for it.  Be interested in what the decision is.   Let us know.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

We haven't had this happen yet, and likely won't considering the cruises I have booked are popular and sold out or nearly sold out.  But since you can cancel a cruise and shift the $100 non-refundable to a new cruise then you conceivably "cancel" the cruise and "re-book."  I imagine Regent, like other cruise lines, will simply honor a price reduction when prior to Final Payment.  Definitely keep after your TA and push for it.  Be interested in what the decision is.   Let us know.  

Well, the OP is from Northern Ireland so they don't have the $100 cancellation, believe they would lose 20% however they said the price decrease is greater than the loss if they cancel and rebook.

To the OP, keep on your TA as history shows that with suites available a price decrease generally results in a price decrease.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies 

Our TA contacted Regent in the UK who apparently have referred the matter to Regent USA (head office).

Even with losing the 20% deposit, it might work out better for us to cancel and re-book, so hopefully Regent may do something.

• Like 1

Beside you look at the true booking price with discounts.  This happened ti us, Regent changed our cruiser (from point to point) which added 2 days to the cruise.  When the new pricing came out it was less than we paid, but after looking at all discounts we had when we booked the cruise the final cost to us was $1,000 less than the new price with discounts.  It took a few e mails for us to realize that Regent was right, we were wrong----so just check to be sure.

• Like 1

The laws in the UK treat this price drop/rebooking question differently from the laws in the US.  I use the Cunard Board upon occasion.  This is a frequent issue.  I suggest you ask this question on that board, too.  Even though it's a different cruise line,  I think you will find more experience on how the law applies on that board. 

Edited by orvil

Notwithstanding the draconian Regent (UK) Ts&Cs, it is to be hoped that Regent will “do the right thing” for @Belfast Taxman.

It cannot  justified to hold someone to a price when there is such a significant price drop within one month.

Looking at the UK price now it does appear that the previous price must have been severely over-inflated; availability in all suite categories indicates that the previous overly high price-point was not sustainable for that cruise.

I am not sure that “the law” has any bearing on the matter.

Edited by flossie009

I think a lot of the outcome of such a situation depends on the TA and how much knowledge and influence he/she has with Regent. Unfortunately, it sounds like the TA the OP booked with has neither. "The girl I booked with" sounds like an order taker, not a qualified TA.

We have been in this position and although as has been noted under the UK T's and C's the customer would seem to have no redress I would say it is certainly worth pushing Regent through your TA. Although unlikely that they will offer a cash refund, we have obtained upgrades, OBC and future cruise credits in various combinations but not without a struggle. Regent want people to book early and they also value repeat bookings so I would hope that they will make an offer acceptable to you. Best wishes for a satisfactory outcome and keep us posted!

• Like 1

I'm really surprised by this! I've only cruised on Crystal to date with a cruise on Splendor booked for 2020 and Crystal always, no questions asked, honour price reductions, even when one has paid in full. I would be very put off cruising regularly with a company who didn't honour a price reduction.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rallydave said:

Well, the OP is from Northern Ireland so they don't have the $100 cancellation, believe they would lose 20% however they said the price decrease is greater than the loss if they cancel and rebook.

To the OP, keep on your TA as history shows that with suites available a price decrease generally results in a price decrease.

Yeah.... I totally missed the UK and Northern Ireland part.   Thanks.

Edited by papaflamingo

Don't know if Northern Ireland is different to her in England, but I have in front of me a leaflet from Regent which says "Our New Best Price Guarantee  Should a better price be released on the sailing you have booked, we GUARANTEE to honour the lower price".  When we book a cruise we always keep an eye on the price and on a couple of occasions this has happened.  We got straight onto our travel agent who, in turn rang Regent and we received a Future Cruise Credit for the difference.  They don't give you cash back but this is the next best thing, we think.  Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, wripro said:

A future cruise credit is not the same as honoring the lower price as stated in your leaflet. A future cruise credit works to their benefit, not yours, because it encourages you to book another cruise.

You can use the future cruise credit to make final payment on the existing cruise; no new booking required.

5 hours ago, mrlevin said:

You can use the future cruise credit to make final payment on the existing cruise; no new booking required.

Yes you can but only if you haven’t yet made final payment and also not what the written policy states. 

And if the people getting this FCC don’t know that they can use it on their current cruise possible they won’t cruise again thus losing the credit. If a FCC is what is given the policy should do state and not the credited stated in the T’s & C’s. 

As far as I understand it the price guarantee only applies to on board bookings( or within 30 days of a previously booked cruise. ) The on board deposit is currently £650 for two. 

We recently had a price drop of over £2000 pp on a future cruise we had booked on board and there was no issue with having the invoice reissued. This has happened to us on several occasions with no problem.

• Like 1

Some folks asked for an update, so hear it is...

A reasonable ending rather than a happy one, but it could have been a lot worse as we were more or less at the mercy of the goodwill of Regent. This was because of the comparatively draconian T&C’s here in the UK.

I will not give the precise details, but with our cruise still more than nine months away and all cabin types showing as Available, Regent dropped the brochure price for our Concierge Suite by £4,400. Of course, when we booked, we did not pay the brochure price. Indeed our situation was a little confused as we had declined the flights and 1 night pre-package, got the credit and then arranged business class flights and a 2 night pre-cruise stay separately.

As you will know, we applied for a “re-fare” but then the differences between North American and UK terms became a lot clearly focused😥.

We let our TA have first go with the “negotiations”. The first surprise was that Regent UK simply washed their hands of the matter. We would be dealing with Regent US.

Opening gambit was an offer of a cruise credit and here came another difference for UK customers  with credit being given against another cruise, rather than against future payments due. Further e-mails ensued and we made progress on two fronts. The credit would simply reduce the balance due and we got a bit more actual credit.

Ultimately we got not as much as we had hoped for, but more, quite a bit more, than we had feared we might get. Clearly the concept of “goodwill” is recognised as important by Regent and I am bound to say that every Regent person I dealt with was pleasant, professional and genuinely did seem to want to help.

We will board Explorer in the knowledge that some fellow cruisers are likely to have paid a fair bit less than we have, but it could, legally, have been a lot worse. I have certainly learnt a lot about booking a cruise and maybe this will be beneficial in the future.

Thanks to all those who contributed to this thread and gave us invaluable advice and benefit of your experience.

Only 284 days to go😃

• Like 2

This is the reason we no longer sail with Regent

We always used to sail under US t&c,s but a couple of years ago Regent UK withdrew that benefit and we have never sailed with them again

We are Platinum members at Regent so it's their loss and we sail at least 6 cruises a year

Even if you book on board to overcome this problem and then you wish to change something you are immediately switched to UK t&c's and then have to pay the full deposit

Keep in mind that when we decide to purchase a cruise we are content with the price we are paying. Expecting a price reduction simply because others are getting a better deal is naive. When we purchase an item in a store and then see that same item on sale a month later we don’t expect a refund of the difference. 
Having said that, I believe it’s fair to leverage any influence you can to reduce your costs. 

Sounds like a reasonable outcome. In our experience, the UK office can be helpful on things like shore excursions but anything to do with money has to go back to the US. Put aside the money "saved" and if you enjoy the cruise next year book another one while you are onboard. You then get a price "guarantee" (although this does not apply automatically) and you can also get it referred back to your TA who should apply their normal discount.

21 hours ago, wripro said:

Brochure fares and half off fares are one of the hallmarks of both Regent and Oceania's fake marketing ploys.

Not to really be argumentative, but the idea of "fake" is very popular these days. "Fake news," "fake sales," "fake marketing ploys."  There is nothing "fake"about it. It's actually REAL marketing.  "Fake" means that you believe that Regent is out to deceive you.

Sales and marketing of discounted fares are normal across the cruise industry.   No one is deceiving you.  You read a price, you like the price, you book the price. No deception at all.  It seems that too many are weaving these conspiracies.  If you believe a cruise fare to be "fake," then don't book it. Wait and see what happens.  

Just now, papaflamingo said:

Not to really be argumentative, but the idea of "fake" is very popular these days. "Fake news," "fake sales," "fake marketing ploys."  There is nothing "fake"about it. It's actually REAL marketing.  "Fake" means that you believe that Regent is out to deceive you.

Sales and marketing of discounted fares are normal across the cruise industry.   No one is deceiving you.  You read a price, you like the price, you book the price. No deception at all.  It seems that too many are weaving these conspiracies.  If you believe a cruise fare to be "fake," then don't book it. Wait and see what happens.  

Agreed.  While I don’t like the “Free this!  Free that!  Two-for-one!  More free!” Marketing approach (I feel it ‘brand somewhat), I don’t feel it’s fake or deceptive.  Everything is tight there in black and white.

Still wish they’d dial back on the ‘free’ hype, though.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, UUNetBill said:

Agreed.  While I don’t like the “Free this!  Free that!  Two-for-one!  More free!” Marketing approach (I feel it ‘brand somewhat), I don’t feel it’s fake or deceptive.  Everything is tight there in black and white.

Still wish they’d dial back on the ‘free’ hype, though.

I just don't bother with it.  Seems some, not just here but many CC boards, get hung up on semantics.  For example, if someone mentions "free excursions," someone else will correct them and say "included excursions because you are paying up front."  For me, it's bottom line. Nothing else matters.  What do I get and what does it cost?  If I like it I book it.  If I don't, I don't.  😎

2 hours ago, blacksmith said:

Keep in mind that when we decide to purchase a cruise we are content with the price we are paying. Expecting a price reduction simply because others are getting a better deal is naive. When we purchase an item in a store and then see that same item on sale a month later we don’t expect a refund of the difference. 
Having said that, I believe it’s fair to leverage any influence you can to reduce your costs. 

I take your point.  But the difference to me is when you buy an item in a store, you take it home and you have the item.  Transaction complete.

With a cruise,  you make a deposit, you take the cruise in the future, so you have not used it yet - the cruise line still has it, you do not. Transaction is not complete.  That is why they should give you the new price if you request it.

• Like 4