MASS ON HAL

Himself

14 hours ago, Himself said:

I am now on the Nieuw Statendam.  On our First Sea Day we had Mass at 8AM in the morning   Today andtomorrow it is at % PM in the Hudson Room

So apparently the Mass schedule "change" has either not been adopted on NS or reversed system wide.  We'll be on the Koningsdam in a couple of months, so I'll be interested to see what the schedule is then.

Enjoy your cruise.

P.S. Just curious as to what AOS may know about the schedule change.  Have you spoken with anyone at AOS about that?

Edited by avian777

I used to really enjoy going to daily Mass while on a cruise, but I'm not a fan of the 5PM Mass time on a daily basis.  Since I am "early traditional" dining, going to Happy Hour before dinner is impossible, and it's a foot race to get to the dining room after Mass on time, sometimes.  

My biggest inconvenience is on Gala nights which typically are on sea days, which never used to be a problem when the Mass on those days was at 8AM.  Now I find I need to start getting ready at 3:30PM.  That's a little early.

I wrote a letter to the "powers that be" about missing Happy Hour and Sip and Savor, but never received a response.  It would be nice to go back to the old time schedule so that people could have a choice between morning or evening and pick the time that works best for them.

I don't think it would hurt if people voiced their concerns.

• Like 1

I’m surprised that no one has suggested that on certain days, Mass is celebrated both at 8:00 AM and at 5:00 PM. I realize that this could be inconvenient for the Priest, but isn’t he getting a free cruise? If not, I apologize. 

DD

On 11/14/2019 at 7:27 PM, socalcruisers2 said:

I used to really enjoy going to daily Mass while on a cruise, but I'm not a fan of the 5PM Mass time on a daily basis.  Since I am "early traditional" dining, going to Happy Hour before dinner is impossible, and it's a foot race to get to the dining room after Mass on time, sometimes.  

My biggest inconvenience is on Gala nights which typically are on sea days, which never used to be a problem when the Mass on those days was at 8AM.  Now I find I need to start getting ready at 3:30PM.  That's a little early.

I wrote a letter to the "powers that be" about missing Happy Hour and Sip and Savor, but never received a response.  It would be nice to go back to the old time schedule so that people could have a choice between morning or evening and pick the time that works best for them.

I don't think it would hurt if people voiced their concerns.

My sister in law went last Saturday and she said the mass was packed and had to go to another room.  She liked it very much and Himself mentioned Cruise critic. 😊  Hi J!😁

I went to happy hour and met Crazy for cats.😁😉

One of the reasons I prefer HAL is the opportunity to attend daily Mass.  I like the 8am time since it is a beautiful way to start my day, whether it be an At Sea or a Port day.  (Shore Excursions usually meet at 9am.)  I find the 5pm time difficult, but will hurry if that is the only time offered.

(I was recently on Cunard.  There was a priest onboard who offered to say the Vigil Mass on both Saturdays.  Cunard set the times and did not notify the priest that the time was changed from the first week to the next.  Cunard would not allow the priest to say Mass for the crew on either Sunday, even though he offered.)

Thank you, HAL!

On 11/14/2019 at 8:09 PM, DoggyDaddy said:

I’m surprised that no one has suggested that on certain days, Mass is celebrated both at 8:00 AM and at 5:00 PM. I realize that this could be inconvenient for the Priest, but isn’t he getting a free cruise? If not, I apologize. 

DD

15 hours ago, DoggyDaddy said:

I’m surprised that nobody has responded to this topic for several days, especially since I’m under the impression that a lot of cruisers choose Holland America because of the Catholic Masses onboard.

DD

Thank you for your Posts.  I am one of those people who cruises EXCLUSIVELY with HAL because of the Cruise Ship Priest Program ... but have not replied to your suggestion of 2 Masses each day because, as an "old-fashioned Catholic", I thought that priests are allowed to say only one Mass a day, except on special holidays when they are permitted to say 2 or 3 (on Christmas) or in emergencies.  If Canon Law on this topic has changed (and I'm sure Himself can comment on that issue), I apologize for taking your time to read this Post.

Edited by avian777

3 hours ago, avian777 said:

...as an "old-fashioned Catholic", I thought that priests are allowed to say only one Mass a day, except on special holidays when they are permitted to say 2 or 3 (on Christmas) or in emergencies.  If Canon Law on this topic has changed (and I'm sure Himself can comment on that issue), I apologize for taking your time to read this Post.

I'm pretty sure a priest can say more than one mass a day. My home town parish priest was responsible for two Sunday morning services, and because fewer young men are entering the priesthood, the priest in my current parish has been assigned two or possibly three different parishes that he has to travel to each Sunday.

On the topic of clergy being given free passage, I was once on a Celebrity ship where the priest asked for volunteers to pass the collection plate (actually plastic bags) to help defray his expenses (above and beyond the cost of the cruise, which was free for him).

4 hours ago, lcand1923 said:

One of the reasons I prefer HAL is the opportunity to attend daily Mass.  I like the 8am time since it is a beautiful way to start my day, whether it be an At Sea or a Port day.  (Shore Excursions usually meet at 9am.)  I find the 5pm time difficult, but will hurry if that is the only time offered.

(I was recently on Cunard.  There was a priest onboard who offered to say the Vigil Mass on both Saturdays.  Cunard set the times and did not notify the priest that the time was changed from the first week to the next.  Cunard would not allow the priest to say Mass for the crew on either Sunday, even though he offered.)

Thank you, HAL!

I think there is daily Mass on the QM2.

On 11/19/2019 at 5:22 PM, daisy-mae said:

... On the topic of clergy being given free passage, I was once on a Celebrity ship where the priest asked for volunteers to pass the collection plate (actually plastic bags) to help defray his expenses (above and beyond the cost of the cruise, which was free for him).

... does Celebrity have Cruise Ship Program and, if so, when did it start and which group (such as Apostleship of the Seas USA) sponsors it?

2 hours ago, avian777 said:

... does Celebrity have Cruise Ship Program and, if so, when did it start and which group (such as Apostleship of the Seas USA) sponsors it?

I think it might be best to ask that question on the Celebrity board.

All I remember was that the priest was from Philadelphia; he said a mass on Ash Wednesday as well as on Sunday. I don't think there was a daily service.

On the World cruise this year, the Priest is asked to compensate the Sacristan for his time. $100.   Also, on shorter cruises the Priest must pay for his transportation to and from the ship, unless he accepts a cruise on short notice.  There have been other changes also.  You might want to ask your Priest what the current “free” cruise is costing him.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, DoggyDaddy said:

I think it depends on the order, but I thought that Priests get a salary. I know of two priests who bought a retirement home when they retired. Other Orders require a pledge of poverty. 

DD

... what does the fact of a priest being a member of a particular order and/or getting/not getting a salary have to do with whether or not his other expenses are covered in whole or in part by the cruise ship line?  See Post #40 above.

Edited by avian777

2 hours ago, socalcruisers2 said:

On the World cruise this year, the Priest is asked to compensate the Sacristan for his time. $100.   Also, on shorter cruises the Priest must pay for his transportation to and from the ship, unless he accepts a cruise on short notice.  There have been other changes also.  You might want to ask your Priest what the current “free” cruise is costing him.

Excellent Post - anyone who thinks a priest is being paid a salary or other stipend by HAL for his cruise ship chaplaincy should check with AOS-USA, which is the Catholic organization that operates the Cruise Ship Priest Program and provides priests for every HAL cruise.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 6:52 PM, SetAnOpenCourse said:

I think there is daily Mass on the QM2.

This is contrary to everything I have been told ... unless Cunard instituted a Cruise Ship Priest Program within the past couple of weeks.  It is my understanding that HAL is the only cruise ship line that has a Roman Catholic Priest (who says daily Mass) on every one of its cruises.

Edited by avian777

3 hours ago, DoggyDaddy said:

I think it depends on the order, but I thought that Priests get a salary. I know of two priests who bought a retirement home when they retired. Other Orders require a pledge of poverty. 

DD

You’re confused about orders and may be thinking about dioceses.  Such posts are not informative, so maybe you’re sharing an opinion of some sort?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, avian777 said:

This is contrary to everything I have been told ... unless Cunard instituted a Cruise Ship Priest Program within the past couple of weeks.  It is my understanding that HAL is the only cruise ship line that has a Roman Catholic Priest (who says daily Mass) on every one of its cruises.

If you were told the facts then Cunard changed their practice sometime within the last two years.  They definitely had daily Mass on QM2, while not on their other ships.

13 hours ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

If you were told the facts then Cunard changed their practice sometime within the last two years.  They definitely had daily Mass on QM2, while not on their other ships.

Thanks for the update. Since Cunard apparently has a priest only on its QM2 cruises, HAL remains the " only cruise ship line that has a Roman Catholic Priest (who says daily Mass) on every one of its cruises".

Edited by avian777

On 11/19/2019 at 5:22 PM, daisy-mae said:

I'm pretty sure a priest can say more than one mass a day. My home town parish priest was responsible for two Sunday morning services, and because fewer young men are entering the priesthood, the priest in my current parish has been assigned two or possibly three different parishes that he has to travel to each Sunday.

No need to guess about it.  According to Canon 905 of the Code of Canon Law:

Canon 905

§1. A priest is not permitted to celebrate the Eucharist more than once a day except in cases where the law permits him to celebrate or concelebrate more than once on the same day.

§2. If there is a shortage of priests, the local ordinary can allow priests to celebrate twice a day for a just cause, or if pastoral necessity requires it, even three times on Sundays and holy days of obligation.

Edited by avian777

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:02 AM, HALrunner said:

Don't forget to thank HAL for this "perk" on the post cruise survey! 

I was thinking the same.  Thanksgiving is coming up.  Please be thankful that you have any mass, no matter the time.  You will be on ship with people of many different faiths and some with no faith.  Nothing beats gratitude.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 7:35 AM, ASIWISH said:

The 5:00 hour made attending very difficult. I too wish the mass was at 8:00am.

maybe this was just a difficult itinerary but we didn’t make it to one service... 

And I never had the opportunity to meet you or see you.