How Do I Choose An Infinite Veranda on Edge or Apex?

vtcruising

A frequent question on this board is "How do I choose an Infinite Veranda".  I will try to lay out how I would choose one and others can jump in. First, a description of Infinite Verandas (IV's) follows, as there are many who have strong feelings about them, one way or another. The following will outline the FAQs and some pros and cons that people who have cruised in them have noted.

Infinite Veranda (62.5% of Edge cabins):

Aqua Class  1, 2 with Infinite Veranda (determined by location) - 201 sq ft - 42 sq ft veranda

Aqua Class 1 Accessible - 304 sq ft with 65 sq ft veranda

(Aqua Class has access to Blu as restaurant for breakfast and dinner and complimentary access to Thermal Suite, as well as an upgraded shower and other AQ amenities -see below)

Concierge 1, 2, 3 with Infinite Veranda (determined by location) - 201 sq ft - 42 sq ft veranda (concierge cabin the same as other IVs, but concierge class has a few more amenities - see below)

Concierge 1 Accessible with Infinite Veranda - 304 sq ft with 65 sq ft veranda

Edge Stateroom with Infinite Veranda E1, E2, E3, E4, E5 (determined by location) - 201 sq ft - 42 sq ft veranda

Edge Accessible Stateroom with Veranda - 304 sq ft with 65 sq ft veranda

Edge Single Stateroom with Infinite Veranda - 142 sq ft with 42 sq ft veranda

The Celebrity description of the IV: "The most transformational aspect of our stateroom design is the introduction of the Edge Stateroom with Infinite Veranda, where with the touch of a button, your entire living space becomes the veranda, letting you walk right out to the water’s edge."

The Infinite Veranda, is a non-traditional veranda that is separated from the living area with bi-fold doors. The veranda area is a bit smaller than traditional balconies on X ships and has two chairs and a small table. There is floor to ceiling glass looking out to the ocean (flush to the ship as opposed to protruding out, as most traditional balconies do). The top half of the glass drops down at the push of a button, opening the veranda up to the outside. One can sit and look out of the bottom window or stand at the "rail" and look out. There is a shade that can be activated with another button. Each button needs to be held down to open and close the window and shade so each can be partially opened or closed (a button on the control panel will open/close the shade all the way). They both make a moderately loud noise when operating. The captain can lock the windows in bad weather or when windows need washing or maintenance. When the glass is open, the AC does not work as well (as when a traditional balcony slider is left open). When the bi-fold doors are closed, it the AC seems to work well most of the time (some have mentioned that their doors don't have a tight fit). You can also turn off the "Green" mode on the electronic panel to keep the AC functioning. Some leave the bi-fold door open all the time to add more space to the living area.

There has been a lot of discussion here about the pros and cons of the IV. Those who have sailed in them have mixed reviews - many have found them not to their liking and say they will never book them again, others liked them and would book them again and many others are ambivalent and have found positives and negatives. Here are some of the pros and cons people have discussed:

Cons:

-some say it feels like an oceanview with a window that opens, not like a cabin with a veranda

-too small - tiny table - can't do room service easily on veranda - no room for foot stools or reclining chairs

-have to move furniture around to shut bi-fold doors, though they recently changed the chairs to smaller ones to help with that issue

-shade is on a track and can't lift it to see weather/port/ocean when it is down - have to activate it and it is loud so may wake other person in room - also would wake other person if opened glass, due to noise

-no curtain in front of bi-fold doors so one person can't go onto veranda and enjoy the ocean view while leaving the room darkened, though they have recently frosted the bifold doors to help with that issue (opaque, not total darkness)

-when upper glass is dropped down, the double lower glass has a tint

-when glass dropped, AC goes off and living area gets too warm (remedies described above)

-can be locked by Captain so that unable to open at times

Pros:

-floor to ceiling view of ocean when in living area

-bigger living area when bi-fold doors left open

-option to have sun room or open to the outside - makes a nice sun room when have inclement weather

-less direct sun if prefer or medically need to avoid sun

-quieter on veranda since don't usually hear neighbors in next veranda

-more privacy because people can't hear you talking or peek around the veranda dividers as on a traditional veranda

-can stand at "rail" and  have a similar view as a traditional veranda with a little more wind protection and privacy

In addition to the veranda, all IV cabins have a king size bed except the single IVs have queens. They all have the larger bathrooms (larger than other Celebrity bathrooms) with larger showers. As with all Edge staterooms, they have electronic controls, a huge TV and more than lots of storage space (there is more dresser space, but the closet space seems a bit less). They are decorated in neutral colors that some will love and others will not.

Picture with old chairs and non-frosted bi-fold doors:

687799909_IVpicturenice.jpg.1b3e5bfc2fcfc1e7339fc1c167316a44.jpg

Recent IV Changes:

IV changes 7-19.pdf

Post #28 of this thread shows the new chairs and you can see frosted doors in pictures:

HOW TO CHOOSE AN IV

If you decide that you want to book an IV how do you choose which one is best?

My suggestions for choosing are just my experience, thoughts, guesses, etc. - everyone needs to decide for themselves what is important 🙂.

1. Price range:

-AQ are most expensive though get AQ benefits of Blu as Main Dining and complimentary use of the Thermal Suites (and other benefits)

-Concierge is usually next most expensive and have some extra benefits (and locations are good)

Concierge and Aqua Amenities.pdf

-E1-E5 next price-wise, with E1 generally having the highest price with best locations. E4-5 cabins are the most likely to have partial view obstructions.

2. Deck

-Higher decks often have better views and higher prices.

Deck 7:

1886379247_IVdeck7viewlifeboatx.jpg.e4b1e2c5f4cb5ebbf8a67cdbc9d32f64.jpg

Deck 12:

955304038_121367.jpg.22352b6ad12d8ffd0cd2ab93d85a5445.jpg

-I would avoid deck 12 due to the pool deck/buffet being above - there is often early morning chair scraping and other noise reported (as with other ships with cabins under the pool deck), although there are some quiet cabins under walkways/connections instead of loungers/chairs. You can look at the deck plans and superimpose the upper deck over the one below to see.

- I would be cautious about Deck 6.  You would want to see what is below you for outside venues (e.g., Eden Cafe outside dining in the aft, a walkway way forward).

Another thing to think about on 6 is being above The Club - someone in one of those cabins reported vibrations at night from the music.

Also, there are davits, lifeboats and tenders below many of these cabins. I have used the obstructed cabin list to show which cabins have the least obstruction - green is better than red (the vertical red lines are the 50% obstructed views with davits and the horizontal lines in between are the lifeboat/tender locations - the other red horizontal lines are obstructed for other reasons. The green horizontal lines look like they have the best views - the "?" near the Magic Carpet is there because many would not like to be that close to the Magic Carpet and others might like to be close by.

564928621_deck6obstructed.thumb.jpg.0ed9c7a3b521f2922025c2e8b4574587.jpg

A thread that will help you see what the obstructions might be like on deck 6:

Edge Obstructed View List:

EDGE_Percent_Obstructed_View-2.pdf

3. Midship, forward or aft

-Midship is nice for accessing all venues more easily - generally more expensive

-Forward has easier access to the theater, Solarium, The Club

-Aft does not have an elevator way aft so a walk to the elevator - near the aft elevator has faster access most dining venues, Eden, buffet, pool, Rooftop Garden

4. I factor in the elevator location, though it is not my deciding factor. A closer elevator saves steps/time, if that is important to you.

5. Some try to avoid the Magic Carpet, though it isn't much of an obstruction unless up close. I would stay several cabins away to avoid some of the noise and view obstruction, but it is fun to watch in action.  If concerned, you can book a portside cabin.

This is on deck 12 about 7 cabins away from Magic Carpet:

image.thumb.png.f79c167c9bfd904481f87282a47b5f6a.png

6. Bed by bath or veranda

-there are advantages to each, but most have a preference (thread below goes into the pros and cons of each and how to tell which cabins are which)

Bed by bath:

1979191513_121361.jpg.3eb4ed3ae1cd92c642dbe386a1bcb6b8.jpg

Bed by veranda:

835147177_IVbybalcony.jpeg.d036c8a3a8d7c1dc772e6ceb4ca335b0.jpeg

69221022_IVbybalcony2.JPEG.c0e4cb953b22ab0fef6670bbccf01a78.JPEG

Thread to figure out if cabin is by the bath or veranda:

It's been noted that some cabins do not match the deck plans for bed by bath or veranda. Here is a list of the non-matching cabins so far:

image.png.cbf3bdf43f25d71851d30104c90c31a4.png

7. Bump outs

-I prefer to be on a bump out, if available - often there is a bit better view, but may not be that different - a couple of people have mentioned that the corner IV on a bump out might have a slightly different shape/view - I haven't see these so can't say for sure, but would probably avoid the corner one in case.

-The IV next to a bump out is listed as 10% obstructed since the cabin next to that one protrudes and blocks the view some in that direction - you might want to skip 2-3 cabins closest to the bump outs.

8. Fire Wall

-Some cabins have fire walls on one side, which will usually mean a quieter cabin on that side - they usually have a white border on one side on the deck plan.

9. Crew Stairwells

- I try to avoid cabins near a crew stairwell as that can sometimes be a noisy area - on the deck plans you will see a stairwell that is not near an elevator as the guest stairwells usually will be near the elevators.

10. Connected Cabins

-I usually avoid connected cabins, but there have not been a lot of complaints about noise through the connecting doors on the Edge. You can see the black vertical line connecting cabins on the deck plans.

11. Port or Starboard

- You may prefer port view when in port, which would usually be on the starboard side

-You might prefer port side to avoid the Magic Carpet

Here are the deck plans:

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Celebrity-Edge

Edge Cabin Information:

The first post has a spreadsheet with several IVs reviewed with many pictures. Those who have stayed in any Edge cabin are encouraged to add their review! 🙂

Good luck choosing your IV!  Feel free to ask about specific cabins - someone here may have experience with that cabin or one nearby.

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, villauk said:

I thought you were sailing in an SV 🤣.

Yes, will be trying an SV next. I enjoyed the IV, but we love the aft and prefer traditional balconies. Would definitely look at booking an IV for a cool weather cruise. 🙂

3 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Yes, will be trying an SV next. I enjoyed the IV, but we love the aft and prefer traditional balconies. Would definitely look at booking an IV for a cool weather cruise. 🙂

My post was my sense of humour in reply to your title 😀.

Great information vtcruising. I just booked two cabins on the Edge for Feb 9th and decided on E3 category as I upgraded from E4 pricing. Saved $1420 Cad per cabin. All perks included plus extra $200. Great deal for the Edge. I booked cabins 7282 and 7284 so if anyone has stayed there would love their feedback..My first time on the Edge so we’ll see how it goes with that Infinate Verandah.

Great summary, VT.

Good point that the lack of direct sun would be a plus for many people. But it also might be a minus for others who like to sun themselves on a veranda.

If I remember correctly, you can control the up & down of window and shade with your iphone? So that’s a nice “pro.”  You don’t have to go over to the window and stand there a while to press the button.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

7 minutes ago, Travelexpert35 said:

Great information vtcruising. I just booked two cabins on the Edge for Feb 9th and decided on E3 category as I upgraded from E4 pricing. Saved $1420 Cad per cabin. All perks included plus extra $200. Great deal for the Edge. I booked cabins 7282 and 7284 so if anyone has stayed there would love their feedback..My first time on the Edge so we’ll see how it goes with that Infinate Verandah.

Sounds good! Glad you got a great price. I think knowing about the IV is half the issue. I knew all about it when I went on so had few surprises, but some people expected something much different. It isn't perfect, but I did love the cabin overall (especially the bathroom!) and enjoyed the IV veranda as a little sun room that I could  open the window and get fresh air (and had quiet and privacy) - the feeling when standing at the open window was just the same as a regular balcony. Walking in to the huge floor to ceiling window and the larger living space were all pluses. We did miss putting our feet up and having full sun hitting us, but there was way too much to see and do to hang out in the cabin much anyway. We found many places to kick back and relax. 🙂

17 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Good point that the lack of direct sun would be a plus for many people. But it also might be a minus for others who like to sun themselves on a veranda.

I'm with the latter group (like the sun since we are from snow country), but they are great for those who can't be in the direct sun (either for medical reasons or preference).

20 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

If I remember correctly, you can control the up & down of window and shade with your iphone? So that’s a nice “pro.”  You don’t have to go over to the window and stand there a while to press the button.

I think you can do the shade with the phone - not sure about the window. It's been almost a year for me. 🙂

Might want to add link to Apex for deck plans... deck 6 for Apex if different, more single cabins.

Ah, see you used cruisedeckplans... I use that all the time and doesn't have for Apex yet... perhaps link to the Celebrity Cruises deck plan page.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

40 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

Might want to add link to Apex for deck plans... deck 6 for Apex if different, more single cabins.

Ah, see you used cruisedeckplans... I use that all the time and doesn't have for Apex yet... perhaps link to the Celebrity Cruises deck plan page.

Good  point! I had forgotten about that. 🙂

21 minutes ago, Travelexpert35 said:

Can anyone tell me if there are electrical outlets on both nightstands in the IV cabins on Edge? I thought they had outlets on one side only. Thanks...

No, they don’t (!). If you want it for a device, we moved the phone to the other side without outlets and used the USB port on the phone for my iPhone. 

If two two people need CPAP they will need an extension cord.

32 minutes ago, Oville said:

VT, I’m guessing there isn’t a bad AQ cabin on the ship.  We saw a great deal for an AQ guarantee we plan to book onboard today or tomorrow.

Nice! The only ones that are partially obstructed (10%) are the 4 that are right next to a bump out. 10215, 10224, 9242, 9241. Not too much of an issue most likely. 🙂

5 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Nice! The only ones that are partially obstructed (10%) are the 4 that are right next to a bump out. 10215, 10224, 9242, 9241. Not too much of an issue most likely. 🙂

Thanks, I’m not to concerned about these especially with the way the IVs are set up.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, twins_to_alaska said:

Thanks! Here is a comparison of deck 6 - you can see that they changed 8 Panoramic Oceanview to ES (Single IV) - there are 16 on the Edge - they sell out very quickly - they added 8 more on the Apex, for a total of 24.

The Edge deck 6

492608122_Edgedeck6updatedE5.thumb.png.2c4a390eed562d5f462c8843b4ed9495.png

The Apex Deck 6

1394068826_Apexdeck6.thumb.png.34c93a724bd397db4ad6013be3c2c648.png

Another thing that I didn't point out is that they reclassified 14 E4's to E5's after they realized how obstructive the davits were. You can see the darker color brown (E5's) above to see where the davits are located.

On 11/7/2019 at 12:02 PM, Caribbean Chris said:

Great summary, VT.

Many true balconies have roofs.  I am an escape the sun type of person.  I wear long sleeves in the summer, etc.

My issue with the faux balconies is their small size.  I would not book a faux balcony.

If you lower your expectations to a cabin with a window that opens, then that is more reaslistic.  The size of the infinite verandas looks like it was built for 5 year old kids.

I think that the infinite verandas were a big mistake and will be replaced/modified after APEX.

Edited by NMTraveller

I am looking forward to all things about the IV. I avoid the sun at all costs but like the fresh air. My ONLY issue is that when we sail as a family group (usually 4 cabins in a row), we like to open up the dividers between balconies and spend social time out on our extended shared balcony. That is the only issue I see.