I'm surprised that people complain about NCL onboard added costs.

16 hours ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

I have noticed over the years that one of the biggest complaints about NCL is that there are so many extra costs beyond the base cruise price.

Personally, I find the NCL cruise prices rather refreshing.  To be honest, as a Solo traveler that doesn't drink much and that doesn't desire upscale dining, Internet or the onboard entertainment, NCL allows me to cruise inexpensively and to travel the way I choose.  I take cruises to relax, not worry about cooking, reading a good book and just be on the ocean.

For those that want more, they have the opportunity to purchase it as an additional cost, which is great.  I probably would not be able to cruise Solo if it wasn't for NCL.

I will be on NCL's transatlantic 14 day cruise from Barcelona to Miami in a week or so.  I can't wait!  Just what I need right now.

Just my humble opinion. Not attacking anyone!  Life is all about choice and the more choices that we have available to us, the better.

What do you think?

I have always felt this way. All people have go do is really think about the cost of other lines when it comes to on board pricing. The few things that are pricey on NCL after you board are strictly choices we make, like the cost of spa or gambling. Bingo is expensive, but no one is forced to ply. We never do.. We had an OBC on our last cruise and never spent all of it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VicRock said:

I'm the same as you except I'm not a solo traveler and I think it's really stupid they don't allow us to bring bottled water on board or at least have it for sale at a reasonable price.  Otherwise, I'd be upset about paying for alcohol I don't drink, wifi I don't need or want.

I do agree about the water thing; it makes no sense but as for perks; for those who do not want them, just do sail away; best way. For some of us we love the specialty dining and the drinks. Ok, not everyone's favorite brand is included but holy cow guys, is it really that important? Would you go to your friends house and be disappointed if he didn't serve your scotch of choice? 

I think many of the "nickel and dime" people's heads are going to explode when they hear what Apple is thinking of doing with the i-phone.  Per MarketRealist dot com last week, you will no longer be able to buy an i-phone, you could only get it as part of a bundled subscription service that includes Apple News+, Apple Arcade and Apple TV+.

To boost its slipping iPhone sales, Apple is mulling over a subscription model. In Apple’s Q4 earnings call, CEO Tim Cook hinted at the possibility of bundling hardware into a subscription service.

• Haha 1

If you look at the cost of say Symphony of the Seas and how the laser tag, ice skating, etc is all included in the cruise price vs. Encore and having to pay for laser tag, go karts, etc...Symphony is more expensive then Encore, so you are essentially paying for activities you might not necessarily participate in.  If you are people who would use those "free" activities a lot, then you would get your money's worth vs. paying each time you participate.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

As a solo passenger, I particularly appreciate the Studio cabins.

Not me.   I don’t find them cheap for my preferences.  And I want the freedom to choose any itinerary.      I appreciate the supplement drop Sail away rates.   😀😀

42 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

I think many of the "nickel and dime" people's heads are going to explode when they hear what Apple is thinking of doing with the i-phone.  Per MarketRealist dot com last week, you will no longer be able to buy an i-phone, you could only get it as part of a bundled subscription service that includes Apple News+, Apple Arcade and Apple TV+.

To boost its slipping iPhone sales, Apple is mulling over a subscription model. In Apple’s Q4 earnings call, CEO Tim Cook hinted at the possibility of bundling hardware into a subscription service.

Choices again on how one wants to spend their money.  I for one am a person who would love this option on an iPhone instead of being ‘nickeled and dimed’ by all the Apple products and services.  Of course, I am an Apple user and stockholder....

How I feel about cruising?—let me decide what is important on a trip and how much I’m willing to pay more for it.  It changes for every cruise.  Cruise celebrating a 50th birthday?  Mini suite and specialty dining.  Cruise celebrating a clean bill of health after a health scare?  Suite.  Cruise to try out a new cruise line?  Inside cabin, bare bones.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

I have noticed over the years that one of the biggest complaints about NCL is that there are so many extra costs beyond the base cruise price.

Personally, I find the NCL cruise prices rather refreshing.  To be honest, as a Solo traveler that doesn't drink much and that doesn't desire upscale dining, Internet or the onboard entertainment, NCL allows me to cruise inexpensively and to travel the way I choose.  I take cruises to relax, not worry about cooking, reading a good book and just be on the ocean.

For those that want more, they have the opportunity to purchase it as an additional cost, which is great.  I probably would not be able to cruise Solo if it wasn't for NCL.

I will be on NCL's transatlantic 14 day cruise from Barcelona to Miami in a week or so.  I can't wait!  Just what I need right now.

Just my humble opinion. Not attacking anyone!  Life is all about choice and the more choices that we have available to us, the better.

What do you think?

I'm with you. If the cruise line included all of these 'nickel and dime' items we could not afford to cruise. I wish we could pay our taxes like this, just pay for what you use.

We are going on our 12th NCL cruise this spring, a transatlantic with some great ports.  We love the fact that we don't have to pay for what we don't use/want.  We don't drink, gamble, take few ship excursions (have traveled a lot and mostly go ourselves or hire a private tour for same $ and a better experience).  We're Plat Plus so enjoy the dinners and other freebies, but wouldn't pay for them if we were not.   At times we have a hard time using up our ship's credit if you can believe it.  We have graduated to nearly all suites and though it is more expensive, it suits us perfectly.  We like to mostly relax on a cruise, enjoy the ports, and are not looking for a lot of entertainment as we have seen most already.  Different strokes for different folks, and I too notice that there are some people on each cruise just looking to be angry about something, and complain about ridiculous things.  I think it is the King For A Week complex that many get when they step on a ship.

• Like 2

I have never had an extra cost on my cruise that I did not know about.  Nobody ever tricked me into purchasing a perk that I didn't need.  It is my responsibility to research and to ask the right questions if I do not understand.  Nobody can read my mind and tell me what I need to know.  As for all the nickel-and-diming you all are complaining about, just do not purchase the cruise and find a better option.  All cruise lines know how to get you to pay more.  It is the smart cruiser who knows how to pay less and there are a lot of us out there who know how to play the system.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, disneyochem said:

Choices again on how one wants to spend their money.  I for one am a person who would love this option on an iPhone instead of being ‘nickeled and dimed’ by all the Apple products and services.  Of course, I am an Apple user and stockholder....

My issue is that they are saying that this will be the only choice.  I take very good care of my phone and am able to buy it outright and make it last for 5-6 years.  Being forced to subscribe to a monthly fee and paying for things I do not have any interest in, like Apple Arcade or Apple News+, is not a good thing to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

I have always felt this way. All people have go do is really think about the cost of other lines when it comes to on board pricing. The few things that are pricey on NCL after you board are strictly choices we make, like the cost of spa or gambling. Bingo is expensive, but no one is forced to ply. We never do.. We had an OBC on our last cruise and never spent all of it. 

Very true about thinking about the cost compared to other lines. 

8 hours ago, GA Dave said:

My head explodes at the thought if people paying $1000 + for a phone....especially for a child.  If my son knew how much his friends phone cost, I'd never hear the end of if.  He already thinks, at almost 8, that he NEEDS one.

7 hours ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

I'm with you. If the cruise line included all of these 'nickel and dime' items we could not afford to cruise. I wish we could pay our taxes like this, just pay for what you use.

<==homeschool mom.  I could get on board with no school taxes.  LOL. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

If people on board are having a good time and are enjoying themselves, then why do so many people on board seem to be in such a hurry, very anxious and so grumpy?  On their cruise, if they miss one port of call, they seem to lose all sanity.

Maybe it is society as a whole now.  I don't know.

Again, just my perspective.

Perhaps just your experience?  I cruise six times a year and have done so for years and haven't seen that.  I haven't been on one of the rare cruises that is caught in a hurricane or was completely rerouted, but again those are rare.

5 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

Perhaps just your experience?  I cruise six times a year and have done so for years and haven't seen that.  I haven't been on one of the rare cruises that is caught in a hurricane or was completely rerouted, but again those are rare.

You've never seen people cut in line at buffet or not pay attention to where they are walking ( 2 abreast down the narrow cabin hallways talking ) or trying to jam on an elevator? Walking 4 abreast up/down stairs so one has to turn sideways to avoid running into them? 

Count yourself lucky. Sign me up for your experience. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beerman2 said:

You've never seen people cut in line at buffet or not pay attention to where they are walking ( 2 abreast down the narrow cabin hallways talking ) or trying to jam on an elevator? Walking 4 abreast up/down stairs so one has to turn sideways to avoid running into them? 

Count yourself lucky. Sign me up for your experience. 

some people do not see those who cut in front, especially at the bar. Those who do cut in front must think the bar is about ready to close down or something. I agree with you, we do see rude people on ships, but we can spot them anywhere. It is too bad but it is human as well I guess. 

• Like 2

If a cruise line hid their various up-charges during the booking process, I think there would be valid reason to complain of 'nickle & diming'.

However, as any line that we've used has been clear up front on what is/isn't included in the base fare, I know what to expect re: final cost, based on what we want out of the cruise (cabin type, food, beverage, entertainment, excursions, etc).

In comparing total cost between cruise lines for a comparable itinerary and experience, I use a simple spreadsheet that contains all the cost items we want, then look at the final total and compare.  Some (like NCL) typically include 'free' drinks in the base fare, for others (e.g., RCL) I have to add the beverage package separately.   Either way, I make sure what we want is included in our final estimate.  If during a cruise we want to take an additional excursion, have an additional specialty dining meal, etc., then it's our choice: the cruise line didn't force it on us.

I have yet to feel 'nickle & dimed' on board any cruise.  If I did, it would either indicate I didn't properly define & estimate what we wanted, or the cruise line changed their policy.  If it did happen, my first inclination would be that I didn't estimate properly.

• Like 4

"Free Style Cruising"

NCL offers for everyone to "Feel Free To Cruise Your Way"

If someone wants to get on a cruise ship and enjoy someone cooking, cleaning, etc etc then they should not have to pay for it. Book the cheapest way to do it.

If someone wants to have the options to eat in the upgraded restaurants, Drink 10 + drinks a day, ride go carts etc etc  you can book with the upgrades at a cost.

NCL's Base cruise rates for the basic cruise is a great value. Try going to any major resort and have a place to stay, eat, entertainment, etc. for the same price.

I have done "sailaway Rate" and have had a great time. Although I prefer to do the Perks. That way if I want it I know its already in the cost. Our 2 week cruise In January we already paid for the Thermal spa.

FEEL FREE TO
CRUISE YOUR WAY

• Like 2

7 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Sadly, this is not just unique to cruising though.  It happens everywhere.  People walking 4 abreast in the mall, slowly, I might add, making it impossible to get around.  Not paying attention to where one is going is so universal these days, thanks to cell phones, there are times when I feel like paying attention is unusual.  Since any cruise ship is just a microcosm of society, it's not surprising that one would see such behaviors when on board.  Regardless, I try very hard (like most, I'm sure) not to let such things become a fly in the ointment when I'm cruising.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Sadly, this is not just unique to cruising though.  It happens everywhere.  People walking 4 abreast in the mall, slowly, I might add, making it impossible to get around.  Not paying attention to where one is going is so universal these days, thanks to cell phones, there are times when I feel like paying attention is unusual.  Since any cruise ship is just a microcosm of society, it's not surprising that one would see such behaviors when on board.  Regardless, I try very hard (like most, I'm sure) not to let such things become a fly in the ointment when I'm cruising.

True but to say "they" have never witnessed it is a big stretch, unless they stay in suites /Haven and don't leave that area.

Especially since they mentioned how much they cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/7/2019 at 4:13 PM, The Wanderer_112358 said:

I wish that NCL would build a ship with no water slide, no climbing wall, fewer dining rooms and more lower priced cabins.  I think that people would flock to it.

They do, it is called the Spirit.  

On 11/7/2019 at 4:19 PM, adam_s_allen said:

From the live threads of the Encore sailing there are up charge menu items in the specialties, at least at Ocean Blue.

The current model is better than what is was 1 1/2 years ago. When we sailed the Getaway in 2018, everyone paid a $25 up charge on top of the dining plan to eat at Ocean Blue. At least now, there are many menu items where you can enjoy the venue without adding to the tab. If you don’t want to spend more on-board, you can just go without lobster and enjoy something else on the menu. This method is much better as you would expect a land based restaurant to charge a premium for surf & turf vs the price for a seafood pasta. 

1 hour ago, beerman2 said:

True but to say "they" have never witnessed it is a big stretch, unless they stay in suites /Haven and don't leave that area.

Especially since they mentioned how much they cruise.

I do only stay in the Haven or suites on NCL, but I'm also disabled and on a mobility scooter and my experience is that people have gone out of their way to be gracious to me even when I am outside of the Haven.  I was thinking this was my experience, perhaps it's just my attitude?  Life's too short so I choose to only see the good.

• Like 1