Baltic, Iceland, Norway and the U.K.on a cruise

41 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Literally . It's always been cool and rainy when we've visited . Good trekking weather !

When we were there, it was July and around 45 Celcius, a few beers were consumed to make sure we stayed hydrated.😋

When I met my wife in 1976 the lilacs were in bloom . When drove back to Florida I took a bloom home as a car scent and so I still associate that smell with her . The lilacs were in bloom outside of the wall .

DSC07228%202_zpsjwsbbz71.jpg

DSC07251%202_zps05xl9jre.jpg

And so was the Baltica festival

DSC07230%202_zpss0tbpw13.jpg

It included music and Folk dancing

DSC07240%202_zpsdbk3yscy.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_1697%202_zpsdy4gbmsd.jpg

Large log seat

DSC07292%202_zpsumysw0xl.jpg

Heading toward St. Petersburg

DSC07312%203_zpspbznytud.jpg

DSC07310%202_zpswvem0q36.jpgSomething that we missed this time from our previous visit to Tallin was a balloon ride

IMG_0037_zpsh0s540wm.jpg

We had hoped to get a balloon cam shot of the Zuiderdam . Will you settle for the Eclipse ?

IMG_0064-008_zps9jxrubur.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

The Eclipse is nice, I will be on her in April 2021.

One of out favorite ships ! We've only been on her thrice . An east bound TA , Baltic cruise with our oldest grandson and a trip to the ABC islands for our anniversary . We booked the Zuiderdam for another trip to the ABC's on December 10th so will be going Dutch all the way . The Japan to Canada looks great and sounds like one that we would like to do . 

At this point in the cruise we were sailing to Saint Petersburg . I recently reviewed this portion of the cruise on another thread . If you wish to see or read about it you can find it here beginning with post # 341 .

We will continue with Helsinki , our next stop after Saint Petersburg .

• Like 1

DSC07662%203_zpskwvfujba.jpg

We arrived in Helsinki before 7 but the shuttles didn't run until 8:00 . We couldn't see where to meet the shuttles from our cabin so we went forward for a better look .

DSC07674%202_zpsy2nxwpe5.jpg

They were beyond the dirt pile at the end of the blue building

DSC07672%202_zpsxk29hp13.jpg

IMG_2745%202_zpsk4omte0v.jpg

They let us off near this statute that reminded me of Gort in The Day the Earth Stood Still .

IMG_2750%202_zpszfc2cxrh.jpg

It also reminds me of a line from a song , Like Klaatu's robot man , your looks have killed again  from It's the eighties where's our rocket packs ?

gort%201_zpsytg0moy8.png

Our plan was to tour down the pacific coast either by train, car or coach for two weeks, visiting some friends in Oregon and mainly seeing some of the landmarks/national parks and San Francisco. I am still not sure what the Eclipse does after it gets to Vancouver in May. I am assuming Alaska.

The Helsinki Cathedral looked closed

IMG_2763%202_zpsip9duvga.jpg

DSC07675%202_zps7ynfbfud.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helsinki_Cathedral

And so we hiked to our farthest walking point , Uspenski Cathedral  , which is suppose to be the largest Russian Orthodox Cathedral in Western Europe .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uspenski_Cathedral

IMG_2780%202_zpsr4twpwyg.jpg

There was a service so we didn't take photos inside 

IMG_2794%202_zpst2kmvzbq.jpg

We walked past The Bridge of Love which is covered with locks 

IMG_2777%202_zpsvrzs7d9f.jpg

16 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

They let us off near this statute that reminded me of Gort in The Day the Earth Stood Still .

IMG_2750%202_zpszfc2cxrh.jpg

This scupture in Kasarmintori is the National Memorial for Winter War. If you look on those portholes you should see see some historical pictures from the wartime.

1 hour ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

It had been 13 years since we were last here and some things had changed

Europe%2006%20031_zps4iyyyjha.jpg

IMG_2811%202_zpsuupkpnzw.jpg

Although, there are now 70 of these modern Transtech Arctic units roaming on Helsinki tram network, there is significant number of those older Valmet trams from 1970s and 1980s around, although not exactly as pictured in your photo as now these have been extended with a low-entry middle section.

3 hours ago, Hezu said:

This scupture in Kasarmintori is the National Memorial for Winter War. If you look on those portholes you should see see some historical pictures from the wartime.

Although, there are now 70 of these modern Transtech Arctic units roaming on Helsinki tram network, there is significant number of those older Valmet trams from 1970s and 1980s around, although not exactly as pictured in your photo as now these have been extended with a low-entry middle section.

Thank you for sharing this information .

24 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:
The tram ride was $5 each and admission to the church $6 each

I wonder if you remember the prices right or paid too much since the single ticket for Helsinki region public traffic's AB zone is just 2.80 € (or 4 € if bought from a bus driver) and Temppeliaukio church entrance is 3 €/person.

Also worth a mention for those who are going to visit Helsinki: the single public transport tickets are valid for 80 minutes, so in many cases you might be able to travel to both directions with one single ticket. And zones A and B cover the whole central Helsinki and adjacent parts of the neighbouring cities Espoo and Vantaa, so that should be sufficient for most destinations if you arrive to Helsinki on a cruise ship and are interested in the most commonly visited sights.