When to buy water

Travelicious

Is it any less expensive to purchase water before boarding (online) or after boarding?  I know, I know - I can get water from the buffet in a reusable bottle, which I always do.  But I'm going with my older mother on this trip, and want to have water available for her in the room.  Thanks!

44 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

So the price I'm seeing for my cruise just has the 20% added on, I guess.  I was thinking there were different prices.  Thanks for the responses.  I'm pretty sure I'll order ahead of time.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

You do know their is water available everywhere including in the cabin???

He’s only been a member of cruise critic since 2010. I’m sure he appreciates being told their is water in their cabin. Perhaps you could explain to him that the ship floats in water as well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hi all - sorry, just joined & am sailing on the Escape in just under 2 weeks. It is our 1st cruise & we can’t wait. Why would we need water? Isn’t there water on the ship? Any help, would be greatly appreciated.  If it is helpful to know, we did purchase a beverage/alcohol package. 

2 hours ago, Csmommy1 said:

Hi all - sorry, just joined & am sailing on the Escape in just under 2 weeks. It is our 1st cruise & we can’t wait. Why would we need water? Isn’t there water on the ship? Any help, would be greatly appreciated.  If it is helpful to know, we did purchase a beverage/alcohol package. 

If you prefer bottled water in your cabin, it is not included in the drinks plan. You can order 6, 12, or 24 now boxes of spring water delivered to your cabin. The water in the bathroom faucets is not filtered. While tastes differ, I won’t drink it. You can fill your own reusable bottle from the buffet but you must use a small glass so the bottle is not near the spigot. I need water at my bedside and running to the buffet is inconvenient at best. 

7 hours ago, Csmommy1 said:

We use bottled water for sure shore excursions and put them in our backpacks. 

7 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

While tastes differ, I won’t drink it.

You won't.  I would.  I downed nearly 3 quarts of it while walking around port one day last week and I'm still alive to tell the tale.  I found the taste (from a deck 14 cabin faucet on the Bliss) to not be objectionable but I also drink Brita-filtered tap water at home.

11 hours ago, honeybear'scruisevacation said:

I always buy mine from the vending machine after check in.  They are $1.50 each.

This is an interesting idea. Has anyone else done this and not had a problem boarding the ship with their bottles?

On my last NCL cruise on Escape, I purchased the 6 bottle package for my cabin so we'd always have water at night without having to remember to get some from somewhere else. And while I'm ok with the water from the buffet or other places, I'm not interested in the sink water in my cabin.

And, one of my requests to my cabin steward is to provide us with a filled bucket of ice every day.

The bottle water companies just love that people buy a product that is available for 'free' from taps.

Cruise ship tap water is more pure than most municipalities provide.

Bottled water is a suckers buy.

If someone had asked me when I was graduating from high school, in the 60s, and I had replied that I was going to put water in a bottle and sell it for a couple of bucks a pop I would have been laughed out of the area.

And for those who like to quote 'studies', make sure that you find out who commissioned the studies. Generally it will be the bottled water industries.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

The bottle water companies just love that people buy a product that is available for 'free' from taps.

Cruise ship tap water is more pure than most municipalities provide.

Bottled water is a suckers buy.

Normally I leave these comments alone.

Until the poster starts insulting people because they have a preference. 

First of all, you're just wrong.  Unsupportable, undemonstrated, wrong.  Anyone who says that the water manna of the gods is coming out of a ship's tap is either ignorant of the facts or just lying to you.  Ship's water is distilled.  But it's not melted glacier water for goddsake.  If you want to do a chemical side by side test of tap water and every brand of bottled water we'll all be happy to hear about your results, otherwise shut it.

I don't understand why some people can't just lay out their position (whether it's wrong or not) without bringing insults to the other posters in to it.

People who buy bottled water are not suckers.  They are not getting screwed by bottlers.  They are consumers who make a choice who don't frankly give a crap whether other insulting users like it or agree with it or not.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Csmommy1 said:

There is water everywhere on the ship that is drinkable including the bathroom sink. You can carry a water bottle and fill it in buffet. We still buy bottles of water to carry off ship. I don't like packing a bottle or worrying about leaving my favorite bottle on the ship or on a beach.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

Put water from your sink in a bottle. Put it in the fridge. It will be indistinguishable from the water NCL sells you - because it's the exact same water. 

You think that the ships ocean water is the same as the bottled stuff for purchase? I wish they gave tours of the ships bottling plant ..... SMH....

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

Put water from your sink in a bottle. Put it in the fridge. It will be indistinguishable from the water NCL sells you - because it's the exact same water. 

Does anyone else get that water with lead and water without lead are "indistinguishable"?

So people who tell you that "because they taste the same they are the same" are people who are uninformed and should not be trusted to inform you.

3 hours ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

If someone had asked me when I was graduating from high school, in the 60s, and I had replied that I was going to put water in a bottle and sell it for a couple of bucks a pop I would have been laughed out of the area.

And for those who like to quote 'studies', make sure that you find out who commissioned the studies. Generally it will be the bottled water industries.

Yet boomers are blamed for destroying the environment. I miss paper bags too.

Edited by trummy
  • Like 1

We pre-purchased 12 bottles for our 7 day cruise in Hawaii. We only ended up drinking 6 or so with all the other drink options available. 12 was way too much for the two of us for 7 days. If I were doing it again, would definitely order less. The bottles were larger than I expected. We ended up leaving the untouched ones in our cabin as we didn't want to bother with them. They probably just moved them to someone else's cabin!

9 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

This is an interesting idea. Has anyone else done this and not had a problem boarding the ship with their bottles?

On my last NCL cruise on Escape, I purchased the 6 bottle package for my cabin so we'd always have water at night without having to remember to get some from somewhere else. And while I'm ok with the water from the buffet or other places, I'm not interested in the sink water in my cabin.

And, one of my requests to my cabin steward is to provide us with a filled bucket of ice every day.

I have been on 5 ncl cruises and do it everytime.  It is after security.  They also sell soda and energy drinks.