Cruise Critic Community
matymil

A few questions about our first cruise with a baby

16 hours ago, bamelin said:

I see a few other threads were linked including mine which I posted last week.  Great advice in all of them -- my kid will be 16 months too.   I highly recommend a travel stroller -- Purchased the Mountain Nano which I think is going to be great.  Other recommendations include the Baby Jogger City Tour 2 or the Babyzen Yoyo+ (although this last one is crazy pricey).  All 3 of these strollers should fit in the carry on compartment of the plane which is huge -- damage can occur if you check your stroller.  The Babyzen Yoyo + fits in even the smallest of compartments and for many parents replaces their larger strollers completely.  We already had a huge SUV style Graco stroller so we went with the Mountain Buggy Nano we got on sale -- got it for a great price and it will get lots of use as our secondary travel stroller when we cruise and likely get use in the spring and summer at home too.

The cruise line will provide a pack n play (just ask them to add it to your reservation).  We generally co sleep so will use the pack n play when we need somewhere to put him while we are all awake.  

For clothes I'd recommend just packing enough for the cruise -- while I DO plan on doing laundry that's because we will be away for 14 nights -- on a 7 night I'd just pack enough.  You could get the $50 unlimited laundry package or do 1 bag of laundry which I believe costs $20. (edit: I was assuming you were on a HAL ship -- you will have to look up all the various laundry options -- a lot of ships have laundromats but who really wants to do laundry on a cruise?)

Some of the best advice I got here is to bring doggy poopy bags, disposable bibs rather than ones I'd need to wash, oh and to bring a blow up tub for swimming on the balcony as well as bathtime at night.  There were a lot of things in those threads I hadn't thought of and it really helped me with envisioning what we need to pack. 

We also have a balcony...you guys were able to put alittle blow up out there with no problems?