Travelling with children who require carseats

cruizinnanapop

Hello there!  We are not first time cruisers, but taking our entire family on a cruise in Feb. Eight adults and seven grandchildren.  There are two kiddos that are still required full carseats, ages 18 months and 2 1/2 yrs.   Then there are two that are in boosters.  We are driving to Cocoa Beach the day before, then being shuttled to the port.  Carseats these days are HUGE!!  No joke...they are enormous...do the parents put them in the shuttle to the port and then are they checked with the porters like luggage? What about excursions??  I can't imagine getting on and off the ship carrying these enormous seats...I have to admit, I'm a little stressed thinking about this!  Any advise from experienced "family cruisers" is appreciated!!

Nervous Nana

Edited by cruizinnanapop

Along with the responses you will receive here I would suggest also posting this on the Family Cruises forum for additional input to your question.  Here is that link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/28-family-cruises/

I'm sure you will get good information from other families with similar circumstances.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Do double-check for each port-of-call, but in most countries there are dispensations for taxis & buses which mean that child & booster seats are not required by law. Whether you are happy to do that is up to you.

If you rent a car I doubt there's any dispensations, but as long as you book those things with your vehicle booking in advance that shouldn't be a problem.

JB :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Along with the responses you will receive here I would suggest also posting this on the Family Cruises forum for additional input to your question.  Here is that link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/28-family-cruises/

I'm sure you will get good information from other families with similar circumstances.

Thank you

The "shuttles" are buses or LARGE vans that don't require child seats.  If you take ship's excursion, you will also be in a bus.  Research your ports....you may find fun things via walking or public buses, so you won't need to lug all of those seats!

Carseats are treated just like luggage when you transfer to the port and when you arrive they can be checked (again)just like luggage.  Where they are stored in the cabin can be a concern in a regular cabin as those tend to be tight on storage space

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gadaboutgal said:

Carseats are treated just like luggage when you transfer to the port and when you arrive they can be checked (again)just like luggage.  Where they are stored in the cabin can be a concern in a regular cabin as those tend to be tight on storage space

Store them in the shower, when the shower is needed temporarily put them on a bed.  It really is less of a big deal then people make it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Store them in the shower, when the shower is needed temporarily put them on a bed.  It really is less of a big deal then people make it.

we store them in the closet, because the showers can be too wet.

We also do not send the car seats with the luggage, because they will be thrown around like luggage. The only way to ensure the safety of your car seat is to bring it as a carry-on.

• Like 2