Grandeur of the Seas in Winter, some Questions

LB_NJ

We are thinking of a winter trip on Grandeur of the Seas.

We like smaller ships and would just drive to Baltimore on the day of departure so no  having to deal with airlines so Grandeur of the Seas in February seems like a reasonable getaway.  

However, I do have some questions for those who have sailed on her at this time of year out of Baltimore.

1.  I have read that there is an indoor pool available.  At this time of the year is the water in the pool over 75 degrees and is it open.

2. How bad does the ocean get, I am thinking about saving a few dollars and getting a guaranteed stateroom which might put me in front of the boat where it might rock a bit more than my usual choice of mid ships to slightly aft.

3. Anything I should know about a winter sail on Grandeur.  Have only sailed in warm weather and the only other RCL ships I and/or my wife have been on were Empress (a little old but we liked it) and Anthem (too large). 

The Solarium pool is covered and is open year round for those age 16 and over.  Note that when it is cold outside, they might allow younger guests in the Solarium pool for various periods during the day.

You can get some rough seas, but it all depends on the weather.  The bay should be relatively calm until midnight on sail day, but the Atlantic can kick up waves for a day or so.  That’s when these show up. 

1D154176-5119-482C-B76C-BE23E5FA63AB.thumb.jpeg.776c63b94d2f60f36fef6fb5ac36029e.jpeg

If winds and seas are up, they will close access to the outside promenade deck.  

We were midship on deck 3, and could feel some of the motion, but not as bad as on upper decks. 

• Like 1

Of course it will be cold on your sail away day and on your return. Depending on your itinerary, it could be a day or two before you reach warmer weather.  I don’t know you’re driving distance to port, but keep in mind a winter storm could mess up the highways. 

Regarding your guarantee location, once your cabin  is assigned, often you may change to another cabin in the same category… if one is available. 

Of it were me, I would give it a try!

enjoy

m

We have no experience with this ship or itinerary so can’t “ speak “ from experience. We were booked on the sailing out of Baltimore on Grandeur in Feb. 2020 and canceled . We canceled because of our past experience last month on our cruise from Québec to FLL.  We ran into two storms , missed a port due to weather and it was pleasant enough but chilly on deck.  Don’t forget, you’ll need clothing for two temperature ranges.  

We enjoyed our cruise to Bermuda from Baltimore and might repeat that again. 

Atlantic coastal weather and storms can be a factor in any season.  We took Anthem from NJ to the Caribbean and back in December.  It was pretty smooth that trip.  It is just luck when it comes to weather.  But crew experience is key when the weather turns.  RCCL updated their forecasting and weather tracking a while back after the infamous Anthem cruise that was all over the news.   We took Grandeur out of Baltimore once and hit a major storm.  Expect the weather to always be a factor and prepare for it on any cruise.

4 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

We like smaller ships and would just drive to Baltimore on the day of departure so no  having to deal with airlines so Grandeur of the Seas in February seems like a reasonable getaway.  

However, I do have some questions for those who have sailed on her at this time of year out of Baltimore.

1.  I have read that there is an indoor pool available.  At this time of the year is the water in the pool over 75 degrees and is it open.

2. How bad does the ocean get, I am thinking about saving a few dollars and getting a guaranteed stateroom which might put me in front of the boat where it might rock a bit more than my usual choice of mid ships to slightly aft.

3. Anything I should know about a winter sail on Grandeur.  Have only sailed in warm weather and the only other RCL ships I and/or my wife have been on were Empress (a little old but we liked it) and Anthem (too large). 

1: the solarium pool is for 16 and up.  If the weather is bad, they MIGHT allow the younger ages in for a couple of hours a day.  It won’t be over 75 degrees most likely.

2: seas could be glass.  Or you could be dealing with ten foot swells.

3. muster stations are mostly outside and they don’t adjust for weather.  It won’t get truly warm until the second full day.  

We sailed Grandeur in Dec '18 just before Christmas.

Solarium pool was open for kids on the cold days.

We had some seas on first sea day south....but we lived 😉

Muster was inside because of the weather

Edited by dodgestang

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Atlantic coastal weather and storms can be a factor in any season.  We took Anthem from NJ to the Caribbean and back in December.  It was pretty smooth that trip.  It is just luck when it comes to weather.  But crew experience is key when the weather turns.  RCCL updated their forecasting and weather tracking a while back after the infamous Anthem cruise that was all over the news.   We took Grandeur out of Baltimore once and hit a major storm.  Expect the weather to always be a factor and prepare for it on any cruise.

I see that you are local to me! We are in Oaks...do you drive to Baltimore the day of or do you sleep over...We are on Grandeur's  Thanksgiving sailing ins 2020...so we have time to plan but just wondering! Thanks

We sail out of Baltimore in the winter frequently.  As others have said, the weather and the seas could vary within a large range.

When we sailed Grandeur in January 2014, it snowed on Embarkation Day.  One of my favourite memories from that cruise is the unmitigated excitement of so many crew members that had never experienced snow before!  Many of them were out in the terminal parking lot making snowmen and having snowball fights, and several others were doing the same (yes, even a snowman) out on the pool deck.  And they were taking so many selfies with snow.😀  Their joy was infectious.  Then, later, once we were underway, seeing them shoveling snow of our cruise ship headed to the Caribbean was a little funny in a surreal way.  (The outer decks were closed to passengers until they got all the snow removed).

• Like 3

We sailed on Lady G twice.

Christmas/New Year  in 2017(NY2018) and 2018(NY2019). Both were to Southern Caribbean.

In 2017 inside and outside pools were heated all the time. In 2018 outside wasn't heated and inside was heated inconsistently.

Second year we did not have storms. During the first we had bad storm on the last (sea) day of cruise which unfortunately fell on Jan 1st and many were not in position to take it after all New Year celebrations. 🙂

It was shaky and it was very cold near the windows in buffet.

Overall we enjoyed Grandeur very much and are returning on her in April, just not for Christmas/New Year cruises as they are now discontinued and replaced with 2 separate ones 7 or 8 dayers and IMHO during the winter you need to sail deeper into Caribbeans rather than Bahamas.

2 hours ago, spookwife said:

1: the solarium pool is for 16 and up.  If the weather is bad, they MIGHT allow the younger ages in for a couple of hours a day.  It won’t be over 75 degrees most likely.

2: seas could be glass.  Or you could be dealing with ten foot swells.

3. muster stations are mostly outside and they don’t adjust for weather.  It won’t get truly warm until the second full day.  

2 hours ago, dodgestang said:

We sailed Grandeur in Dec '18 just before Christmas.

Solarium pool was open for kids on the cold days.

We had some seas on first sea day south....but we lived 😉

Muster was inside because of the weather

Yes, I have mustered inside on the Grandeur in the winter.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

As others have said, the weather can go either way, but I would strongly warn against taking a guarantee these days.

I once had 4514. The waves weren't even "that" high.  It was a very unhappy experience.  I cruise often, am a very good sailor, and never suffer from mal de mer.  But that cabin was NOT good.  And there are quite a few cabins FARTHER forward.

You could indeed get a cabin very far forward, so be warned.

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

As others have said, the weather can go either way, but I would strongly warn against taking a guarantee these days.

I once had 4514. The waves weren't even "that" high.  It was a very unhappy experience.  I cruise often, am a very good sailor, and never suffer from mal de mer.  But that cabin was NOT good.  And there are quite a few cabins FARTHER forward.

We are totally forward on deck 8..so this scares me!!!!

9 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

ALWAYS NICE IN THE SOLARIUM POOL AREA.

SMOOTH AS THE SKIN ON A POOL TABLE OR ROUGH AS HECK.

DONE MANY SAILINGS FROM BALTIMORE AND CAPE LIBERTY IN THE WINTER AND SEVERAL TIMES ON THE GRANDEUR OUT OF BALTIMORE.  The first day is to settle in, enjoy some good food, have a few drinks, unpack and enjoy the ship.

By the next day you will be a few hundred miles to the South and most times in shorts..

3 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

In cabin 2520 now.

19 hours ago, GalwayGirl03 said:

I see that you are local to me! We are in Oaks...do you drive to Baltimore the day of or do you sleep over...We are on Grandeur's  Thanksgiving sailing ins 2020...so we have time to plan but just wondering! Thanks

When we sailed Grandeur it was a very easy drive on the day of the cruise (on a Friday) from our area down I-95 to Baltimore and the port is just off an exit.  Very easy to drop off luggage, park and board.  The drive through drop off and  parking is perhaps 3 hours total. One of the easiest and most convenient ports really.  The ship is older and smaller but the crew has always been high service and very friendly.

4 hours ago, SRF said:

OS? or the Seaview or the Royal Suite?

We are in the VO...we stayed in this room on enchantment and had no issue but that was a warm water cruise.

Thanks Tee Rick...we may stay down the thursday night bc some hotels offer free parking with your stay but I am glad to hear we could do it same day without issue.

16 hours ago, GalwayGirl03 said:

We are totally forward on deck 8..so this scares me!!!!

We sailed through bad weather while in 8500.....it isn't really that bad and if the movement is too much you can retreat the centrum 😉 or do what I did....take some Dramamine and go to bed.  Woke up 8 hours later fully refreshed and in smooth seas!

Edited by dodgestang
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:35 AM, LB_NJ said:

I've sailed on the Grandeur quite a bit (mostly during the winter) and really like the ship.  Next to the Radiance class the Vision class ships are my favorites. Very friendly staff.  The weather on deck can be chilly (maybe cold to some) but the solarium where the adult pool is located is warm and cozy.  My cabins have nearly always been midship and I don't think ever in the bow but I have never noticed any excessive rocking. I have been on the Harmony and I did not like the layout or the size.  Even my very athletic 14 year old granddaughter, who was with me, hated the long lines she had to stand in to enjoy all the activities ( slides, flowrider, ice skating, etc.) Love sitting up in the Viking Crown Lounge or on Deck 6 aft and looking out over the seas.  Lots of glass to enjoy the cruise even if you are in an inside cabin.  Hope this helps... Think we might be on the same cruise in Feb.

On 11/9/2019 at 8:27 AM, GalwayGirl03 said:

We are in the VO...we stayed in this room on enchantment and had no issue but that was a warm water cruise.

Thanks Tee Rick...we may stay down the thursday night bc some hotels offer free parking with your stay but I am glad to hear we could do it same day without issue.

GalwayGirl03, there is easy parking at the port but of course not free.  I believe it is $15 per day.  Maybe we will run into each other in Oaks someday.  We shop there all the time.

On 11/10/2019 at 2:50 PM, TeeRick said:

GalwayGirl03, there is easy parking at the port but of course not free.  I believe it is $15 per day.  Maybe we will run into each other in Oaks someday.  We shop there all the time.

Technically $15 per night.  So an 8 night cruise is $120 for parking.