TENDER / SHUTTLE HOURS ON 24 HR STAY IN CABO SAN LUCAS

Beave8920

We are taking the 5 day Royal Princess cruise  which stays over night in Cabo.  Obviously it's a tender port but since we are staying overnight, I was wondering how late the tenders run and/or how early they start on the second morning.

I've tried to find the info here on the boards but haven't been able to find anything.  I appreciate any info on the matter.

We did three weeks on the Royal in October where we had Cabo as an overnight each cruise.

They run all night every 30 minutes or so. The Patter did tell us the frequency of tenders/water shuttles would increase again at 7 am and by the looks of it, they were right on. We had five ship tenders and another three local tenders waiting just a bit before 7. 
IMG_6802.JPG
Edited by idahospud
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, idahospud said:
We did three weeks on the Royal in October where we had Cabo as an overnight each cruise.

They run all night every 30 minutes or so. The Patter did tell us the frequency of tenders/water shuttles would increase again at 7 am and by the looks of it, they were right on. We had five ship tenders and another three local tenders waiting just a bit before 7. 

Thanks Idahospud........I had no idea they ran all nite, but that's good to know.  Since the Royal is a larger ship with more passengers, we are going to delay our exit to avoid the crowds......and hoping they didn't run the last tender back to the ship at 9 or so!  

7 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Wow!  I would have never thought that many.  Lot's to learn.

Well, they double as the life boats for the ship you are on.....so ya figure they've got to hold a bunch!  I believe the local tenders in Cabo (which are private vendors) hold more than the ship tenders.  And when there are 2 or 3 ships in port at one time, they combine both.

I guess they figure the faster they get you to shore, the quicker you'll spend your money!

29 minutes ago, Beave8920 said:

Thanks Idahospud........I had no idea they ran all nite, but that's good to know.  Since the Royal is a larger ship with more passengers, we are going to delay our exit to avoid the crowds......and hoping they didn't run the last tender back to the ship at 9 or so!  

The ship started handing out tender tickets at 10 am for the 1 pm arrival. Tender tickets were no longer needed after 3:30. So delaying your exit is a smart move.

Yeah, they started calling tickets with #1 and moved to open tender after calling tender #90.  As written above (also Royal) we didn't go open tender until about 3:30 in the afternoon.

I can confirm the shore side tenders operated all night with a frequency of about every 30 minutes once the main migration had been completed.  Many of the overnight tenders were largely ships crew taking advantage of a most rare port call that included off duty hours.  There were some bleary eyes the following day (both pax & crew).

11 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Can anyone tell me how you are suppose to know what time you need to be on shore for a Princess booked excursion?

You will get a notice in your room with a location and time.  Normally you meet on the boat, you get priority on the tender, but travel as a group.

19 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Can anyone tell me how you are suppose to know what time you need to be on shore for a Princess booked excursion?

Princess excursions have excursion tickets. These are delivered to your cabin by your cabin steward on boarding day. The ticket mentions the location and time to meet. If it's an early excursion, meaning one soon after the ship arrives, the meeting location is normally on the ship. Just go there. As a group you will be brought to the tender. If it is a later day excursion the ticket will explain time and location to meet your guide.

Edited by skynight

i had an excursion i was on the same cruise as idahospud.

i pre-ordered my excursion online.  i'm glad i did as they sold out of most of them the first day.  in my room the tickets were in an envelop on the desk. there was in large letters on the ticket what time to meet in the theater.

once you go to theater, they have someone at the doors directing you to a couple of rows for each excursion.  we were given a sticker of a certain color and a number.  i think i was yellow 2.  so all of the yellow 2s sat together.  they called them in some order and you were led to either the front or midship tender depending on color.  its actually very similar to disembarkation with colors and numbers.

as we exited the tender on the docks, just outside of the princess, the excursion guys were making lines, they were looking for your sticker color and number combo, but there is also a big number on your ticket, like G1005  so they have that number too.  it is really easy to find them, you literally stumble over them leaving the velvet roped area.

they ask you to stand in line while they collect everyone form that set of tenders, then they walk you off the docks, through the shopping area to the bus.  make sure you tell them you have to use the bathroom or not, the bathrooms are by the bus area.

then enjoy excursion.

We did the restarted overnight in 2015 on the Star and the shuttles/tenders stopped at 11PM, glad to hear they are now running later.  They really screwed up on our first Star overnight  - major delays getting ashore - we got to anchor at 2PM and EVERYONE was ready to get off the ship at the same time.  

Edited by Ferd Berfle