New P & O ship for 2022

Brumken

Have I imagined it or did  P & O announce that in addition to Iona in 2020 there would be another new ship in 2022?  The reason I am questioning it is that at the Peninsular Cocktail Party on a recent cruise the captain mentioned Iona and a new Cunard ship for 2022 but made no mention of another P & O ship. 

12 minutes ago, Brumken said:

Have I imagined it or did  P & O announce that in addition to Iona in 2020 there would be another new ship in 2022?  The reason I am questioning it is that at the Peninsular Cocktail Party on a recent cruise the captain mentioned Iona and a new Cunard ship for 2022 but made no mention of another P & O ship. 

Yes, there will be another addition to the P&O fleet in 2022.

Brand new ship - Arriving 2022

Exciting news! A second new P&O Cruises ship will be joining the fleet, arriving in 2022. To be created in the image of her sister ship (arriving 2020), she will share the title of 'the largest cruise ship to be built exclusively for the British cruise market'. A next generation ship, guests will be treated to a range of innovative new features and experiences on board.  

Stylish interiors, the very latest dining trends and ground-breaking entertainment; our teams are busy plotting and planning it all at this very moment.

We will, of course, keep you updated so watch this space for all the latest updates.

Edited by P-L-B

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Oh God, I can see the end of my cruising.  They will sell Aurora and Arcadia and that will be that 😞

Aurora happens to be one of our favourite ships and hopefully it will be around for quite a while yet.

Having said that we are booked on Iona next year so we will see how that goes.

Although, the apparent reduction in formal nights and possibly no opportunities for Dancing my put us off.

• Like 1

I am quite looking forward to Iona and her sister, Iona looks to have lots of new features that will make for more interesting cruising. The RCI forums rarely complain that their big ships feel overcrowded, so I hope that the Excellence class will follow suit.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I am quite looking forward to Iona and her sister, Iona looks to have lots of new features that will make for more interesting cruising. The RCI forums rarely complain that their big ships feel overcrowded, so I hope that the Excellence class will follow suit.

I am with you on this John.

34 minutes ago, philred said:

can see all future new builds being in excess of 5000 passengers not good news for the majority on here myself included

Agreed. I suspect that the majority of long standing P&O passengers prefer the smaller ships and for many Iona is a step to far. This was brought home on a recent cruise on Oceana (3 Oct, Canaries) when at the Peninsular coctail party the anouncements re Iona were met with an obvious lack of enthusiasm. So much so that the officer making the announcements actually commented on the fact! It is interesting that the new Cunard ship being introduced in 2022 is roughly the size of Azura and Ventura; 113K tonnes and 3000 passengers.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Oh God, I can see the end of my cruising.  They will sell Aurora and Arcadia and that will be that 😞

So switch lines. Some are still building small(er) ships. After my recent cruise of Spirit of Discovery, going back to P&O is going to feel like a big let down I suspect.

I am going on Silversea next month. I have 5 further cruises booked with P and O in 2020 and 2021, all but one on Aurora or Arcadia (one is on Azura but that was because of the itinerary only though I quite like Azura). I strongly suspect that I am going to be spoiled for the larger lines and ships. The pattern for 2021 onwards will probably be fewer cruises with the more expensive lines. I'll very likely try Viking.

Edited by Clodia
typo

18 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Agreed. Although I think that both of those will be around for five if not ten years.

The sister doesn't launch for another three years, so even if they do get rid of another ship to make way, there are three contenders. Meaning that the other two might stay.

Oceana and Aurora are both coming up for 20 - so they are the likely front runners. (Arcadia isn't 20 until 2025 and Ventura in '26).

Still rubbish though - for those of us who prefer small to mid-size ships.

18 hours ago, philred said:

can see all future new builds being in excess of 5000 passengers not good news for the majority on here myself included

Yep. I can see Ventura and Azura being classed as "small" ships of the P&O fleet in the future.

The really ought to convert one of those to adults only at some point too.

Generally I prefer the "smaller" ships ie Oriana/Aurora, though I really like Arcadia.  However, I must admit to having a soft spot for both Azura and Ventura.  As long as there's something no bigger than those two, I'd like to think that there will be itineries that continue to appeal to us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, happy v said:

I thought it just meant they wanted us to book even further in advance now, and they would carry on still bringing one out every six months.

I assumed that because there were 12 months of new cruises available, rather than the usual 6. then the next launch would be in 12 months, we need to wait and see who guessed correctly.

8 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

We tried Azura and did not like her at all.  As for trying smaller ships, Fred is so-so and the others are far too expensive.

Like you Jean, we love Aurora, but were pleasantly surprised by Britannia. The experience is very different to Azura/Ventura. Although more passengers, it doesn't feel crowded with plenty of quiet places and is very elegant. 

It opened our eyes and we are now looking forward to Iona. 

Must dash, off to pay my respects to our heroes then down to Ocean terminal to board Oceana.. 

Did I mention I was going on a cruise today😊

Andy 

11 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

We tried Azura and did not like her at all.  As for trying smaller ships, Fred is so-so and the others are far too expensive.

I wouldn’t rule out all the large ships based on one experience on Azura Jean. We have cruised on every ship in the P&O fleet (most of them more than once) and Azura was our least favourite. Our favourite ship is Aurora but Britannia runs her a very close second. Cabins, facilities and Select Dining restaurants are far superior on Britannia but we prefer the passenger profile on Aurora.

We loved Oriana and Oceana but had to stop cruising on them as they don’t have  any accessible balcony cabins with wet rooms. We didn’t like Arcadia at all, for many reasons, but we did have a lovely corner wrap aft suite (prior to my wife needing a wet room). Ventura and Azura are our least favourite ships as they have a similar passenger profile to Britannia but lack the modern facilities and don’t have a Crows Nest.

We are going on Iona with an open mind, but it will be the Maiden Cruise, which we think is likely to have a slightly different passenger mix to an in-season cruise. Although we prefer the adult only and traditional cruising aspects of Aurora, when we are on her we miss the modern cabin facilities, Select Dining restaurants, Limelight Club and vastly improved accessibility aspects of Britannia. As an aside, much is said of passenger to space ratios, but we have never found Britannia to feel any more crowded than Aurora. We find that you can always find quiet spots on all the ships. 

2 hours ago, Les_ldh said:

Have a fantastic cruise Andy, only 7 months for me.

Les.

Thanks Les. 

I think we got a bit carried away with the cheap deals... 

Had an email from P&O the other day saying 'only 23 weeks until your cruise' then realised that is our third upcoming one!! 

Little and often suits us at the minute. 

7 months will fly by. 

Andy