Chances of obstructed view stateroom for Anthem GTY

bte52

My Wife and I are booked on Anthem of the Seas sailing from Cape Liberty on March 1, 2020. This will be our 4th cruise on Anthem. I have always booked our cruises by picking our own Stateroom. The savings was just to much to pass up on this cruise by allowing RCCL to pick our room. I booked GTY for a balcony stateroom. I realize that nobody has a crystal ball and can say for sure but what are the chances we get an obstructed view balcony. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you for reading.

When we sailed Anthem there was also a great deal available for balcony GTY.  I called and asked the rep what the chances are of getting an obstructed view.  He said to assume you're going to be allocated an obstructed view and possibly be pleasantly surprised if you're not.  I chose to pay a little more to choose my cabin.

• Like 1

As my agent used to tell me about booking GTY’s: Look at the deck plan, and look for the absolutely worst cabin that you can find. If being assigned to that cabin won’t ruin your cruise, and if you’ll consider anything better a pleasant surprise, then the GTY option is for you.

• Like 1

Assuming it hasn't already been allocated on the backend, right now CruisingPower shows 44+ available balconies and 3 available obstructed balconies. 

That makes it seem like your odds are pretty good; but they could have already set aside some obstructed to cover the gty rooms; they may offer upgrades to people currently in obstructed, people in obstructed may choose to pay for a non-obstructed, etc. Really no way to actually figure out likelihood.

• Clarea changed the title to Chances of obstructed view stateroom for Anthem GTY

We did GTY and were assigned a Deck 6 cabin with a partial obstruction on Anthem fairly quickly.  We ended up upgrading to a Jr Ste GTY for a great price, which was also assigned on Deck 6 about 30 days out, then we won a RoyalUp for a GS a week out.  

All that to say, yes, we had already heard chances were great, and that's what we were assigned.

• 1 month later...

I am a little confused by this. We booked an ocean view balcony GTY on Symphony and I don't remember any mention of a possible obstruction and when I look at our receipt, it says "Stateroom Obstructed View Percentage: 0%" which I took to mean the balcony would not be obstructed.

Is this not the case?

2 minutes ago, kaizen23 said:

I am a little confused by this. We booked an ocean view balcony GTY on Symphony and I don't remember any mention of a possible obstruction and when I look at our receipt, it says "Stateroom Obstructed View Percentage: 0%" which I took to mean the balcony would not be obstructed.

Is this not the case?

Oasis class does not have obstructed view balconies like Quantum class.

Just now, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

Symphony layout is not the same as Anthem - her OV balconies are not obstructed.

Appreciate the lighting-fast reply. I was wondering

1 minute ago, Saab4444 said:

Oasis class does not have obstructed view balconies like Quantum class.

Appreciate the lightning-fast replies, thanks.

It's nice they were able to design out the obstructed view balconies, hopefully that will be the case on future ships as well.

27 minutes ago, kaizen23 said:

Appreciate the lighting-fast reply. I was wondering

Appreciate the lightning-fast replies, thanks.

It's nice they were able to design out the obstructed view balconies, hopefully that will be the case on future ships as well.

Actually, Oasis class (Symphony is Oasis class) was designed before Quantum class (Anthem is Quantum class), so they designed "in" the obstructed view balconies on Anthem.😉

We did the GTY game for a purpose of the moment cruise on Anthem last October.  We were assigned on Monday before sailing on Saturday.  We got a balcony on six, and when they say obstructed, they mean it.  Our view was a small aperture between two life boat davits on either side,  and the lifeboat below.   I would guess we had maybe half of the normal view.  It was fine with us, we knew the rules and got what we bargained for. Biggest problem was the smoker next door. 

43 minutes ago, mjldvlks said:

We did the GTY game for a purpose of the moment cruise on Anthem last October.  We were assigned on Monday before sailing on Saturday.  We got a balcony on six, and when they say obstructed, they mean it.  Our view was a small aperture between two life boat davits on either side,  and the lifeboat below.   I would guess we had maybe half of the normal view.  It was fine with us, we knew the rules and got what we bargained for. Biggest problem was the smoker next door. 

More view than I had.  

IMG_3153.JPG

On 11/9/2019 at 6:36 PM, pippy32388 said:

On Anthem a lot of the obstructed view balconies are on deck 6 and some on deck 7. Sometimes if they assign you to an obstructed view balcony you can call them up and ask them to switch you to another room in the same category. 

We just got assigned cabin 8254 on Anthem...so will that likely be an obstructed view do you think?

I've had good luck with GTY bookings on Quantum / Anthem.  YMMV.

Quantum: Booked Inside GTY, assigned deck 13 mid-ship Balcony #13186.

Anthem: Booked Balcony GTY, assigned deck 6 forward Balcony #6530.  Forward view was partially obstructed by bulkhead, but it eliminated most of the water intrusion in high seas.

Anthem: Booked Balcony GTY, assigned deck 7 mid-ship Balcony #7200.

Anthem: Booked Inside GTY, assinged deck 3 aft Oceanview #3246.