Rude passengers!!!

AndyMichelle

19 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

so it’s like the Costa cafe thing in the day where you can pay for a coffee but all the cakes, biscuits etc that are there are the same ones as upstairs and you get them free when you buy the coffee ? 

see cos I think really if the food that’s in the cabinet is free in the cafe bit cos it’s exactly same as the buffet then really you shouldn’t need to buy a coffee to get it to be honest. It annoyed me that slightly but I was having a tea anyway but kids wanted something to eat and was easier than going upstairs. —. So if it is like this and during day then I kinda understand. No need to be rude though 

if the person was taking food out when it was night at the chargable Italian restaurant bit then no was definitely not on and very poor form. 

As I said earlier, customers were complaining because they were paying and this guy helped himself. 

Andy 

3 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

that’s not just rude tho. If it’s a chargable restaurant why is it not theft

I don't know what happened after, but the crew, especially the waiters, are very reluctant to challenge passengers, so I doubt anything was done. 

Andy 

Just imagine the karma that the rude people are collecting.  

Unless the ship is sinking, generally there is no reason to push, shove, or butt in line.  I always marvel at the people who are in a huge hurry to be first on the ship.  They are probably the same ones in a big hurry to be the first off the ship, and also in a big hurry everwhere else.  

And my father, who was in the military during WWII, taught me that you never, ever belittle or berate people who are preparing your food or sorting your mail.  

A little kindness to the crew and a smile works wonders.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

And my father, who was in the military during WWII, taught me that you never, ever belittle or berate people who are preparing your food or sorting your mail.  

A little kindness to the crew and a smile works wonders.

Totally agree with that!

Not really people being rude but something that made us feel a little uncomfortable happened a number of times on P&O's Britannia was when we were being served our meals a number,anywhere between 1 & 4,officers(I assumed they were as they were wearing white uniforms!),would watch the waiters serving the food rather closely,can't have been much fun for the waiters never mind us!

After 20+ cruises we’ve seen some rude behaviour on occasions and thinking about it most of those have been on August (school holiday) cruises. It’s not “rude” behaviour as such but the worst incident we’ve seen is two adult males squaring up. The son of one of the men did something to annoy the other chap who then made a comment. Next thing dad jumped up and threatened him so it looked like they were going to start fighting. Luckily crew jumped in just in time and separated them.

Edited by DamianG

43 minutes ago, I_r_a said:

In the Bible it says, "The rude you will always have with you".

Ira

It also decrees

“whatever is in the seas and in the rivers, that do not have fins and scales...you may not eat of their flesh” (Leviticus 11:10-11)

which makes lobster night quite difficult.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dinglebert said:

It also decrees

“whatever is in the seas and in the rivers, that do not have fins and scales...you may not eat of their flesh” (Leviticus 11:10-11)

Not for the dyslectics!

2 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

It also decrees

Not too good for prawn cocktail, or moules marineres either.

I have seen passengers be rude a few times. The worst story though that I have heard came from a friend who used to work for P&O. This older couple (the lady was in a wheelchair being assisted by her husband) had booked excursions before joining the ship. During the cruise they went to enquire about another excursion and they mentioned to him one they had already booked for a port coming up. So after they left he checked which one they had booked on the system, only to immediately realise it was not suitable for wheelchairs. There was alot of cobbled streets involved and steep hilly areas, and he was concerned the gentleman would struggle pushing his wife around. So he contacted them with his concerns and suggested a similar excursion that he would advise them to go on which would be easier for a wheelchair user, but they said they would be fine. On returning from excursions that day, there was a lengthy complaint in at the office from that same couple to say they hadn't been warned, he hadn't done his job, and that it had spoilt their day. 

Sadly he was used to it as this type of thing occurred quite often. It certainly opens your eyes to people's behaviour and expectations too.  

• Like 1

If you want to see rude passengers go to the kids buffet (Noddy's tea?) 5pm on family friendly ships.

Sign says for kids and their families only.

P&O have to put a guard on the entrance (Pudding Police) as some passengers lose the ability to read or are desperate for a jam tart or jelly and ice cream.

The amount of agro and rude comments the staff get is an entertainment show in itself.

On 11/9/2019 at 6:53 PM, Vampiress88 said:

so it’s like the Costa cafe thing in the day where you can pay for a coffee but all the cakes, biscuits etc that are there are the same ones as upstairs and you get them free when you buy the coffee ? 

see cos I think really if the food that’s in the cabinet is free in the cafe bit cos it’s exactly same as the buffet then really you shouldn’t need to buy a coffee to get it to be honest. It annoyed me that slightly but I was having a tea anyway but kids wanted something to eat and was easier than going upstairs.

Actually if you ask (and I stress ask not take) for a piece of cake, biscuit or whatever from the coffee shop without buying anything, then they will serve you, albeit the staff are clearly unhappy about doing so.

16 minutes ago, picsa said:

Actually if you ask (and I stress ask not take) for a piece of cake, biscuit or whatever from the coffee shop without buying anything, then they will serve you, albeit the staff are clearly unhappy about doing so.

brilliant. Thank you I didn’t know you could ask. I just thought I had to buy a drink which I did cos i was having one anyway but it’s nice to know that I could. We try very hard not to sit in that coffee cafe unless we are having the drinks as I know it’s not fair to others when you can’t get a seat there. We tried once on a sea day and it was rammed! Ended up getting a to go and sat in the very quiet buffet doing a crossword. (Had no kids with us even better😂)

would have been good to know when hubby stole my cookie that I could go back and ask for another too but I didn’t need another pot of tea so lost out there. 

17 minutes ago, picsa said:

If they had the hump over it,I wouldn't bother.I'd rather go up to the buffet.

7 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

brilliant. Thank you I didn’t know you could ask. I just thought I had to buy a drink which I did cos i was having one anyway but it’s nice to know that I could.

That is what they rely on, people assuming.

However at the end of the day what are they going to say? "No, you can't have a free cookie"!

5 minutes ago, brian1 said:

If they had the hump over it,I wouldn't bother.I'd rather go up to the buffet.

Yes, the staff are clearly unhappy - I suspect orders from above. Although interestingly on other Carnival Corp brand ships there is no such unhappiness asking for a biscuit, etc from the paid coffee shop - in fact the opposite, positively welcomed.

As for being forced to go the the buffet because a member of staff was miserable because their manager was being grumpy - no thanks.

Edited by picsa

4 minutes ago, picsa said:

That is what they rely on, people assuming.

However at the end of the day what are they going to say? "No, you can't have a free cookie"!

Yes, the staff are clearly unhappy - I suspect orders from above. Although interestingly on other Carnival Corp brand ships there is no such unhappiness - in fact the opposite, positively welcomed.

As for being forced to go the the buffet because a member of staff was miserable because their manager was being grumpy - no thanks.

That's true,on Princess you have to pay for beverages but you can have any food behind the counter which is a bit more extensive than a cookie. Is that because it's a Costa franchise on PandO,maybe.

On 11/9/2019 at 6:53 PM, Vampiress88 said:

see cos I think really if the food that’s in the cabinet is free in the cafe bit cos it’s exactly same as the buffet then really you shouldn’t need to buy a coffee to get it to be honest. It annoyed me that slightly but I was having a tea anyway but kids wanted something to eat and was easier than going upstairs. —. So if it is like this and during day then I kinda understand. No need to be rude though 

if the person was taking food out when it was night at the chargable Italian restaurant bit then no was definitely not on and very poor form. 

I don't think they are the same as those in the buffet, these are normally full gateau size and they will cut you a slice of your chosen one, and the mid morning sarnies are specially made for the coffee shop, and the biscuits are also specially made.  However you can normally request one even without a coffee, but you won't always receive one.

My adult daughter's petite and we've had several instances of her being barged out of the way/knocked over by rampaging passengers when queing for tenders/getting on and off shuttles/entering/exiting the theatre or other busy venue. As a result she now tends to cling on to me or her 6 ft athlete brother for dear life whenever we are in a busy area.

Two instances I've seen in our handful of cruises: elderly gentleman in a motorised wheelchair lashing out with his walking stick at anyone he perceived to be in his way and swearing like a trooper, this in the middle of the day in a mildly busy area; elderly couple at dinner in the MDR clicking their fingers at the waiter, shouting "Come here boy", talking about him as if he wasn't there when he was serving them and generally treating the lovely waiter like dirt, with the kind of attitude one associates with colonial types in films set around the turn of the century. 

Edited by groovechick

14 minutes ago, brian1 said:

That's true,on Princess you have to pay for beverages but you can have any food behind the counter which is a bit more extensive than a cookie. Is that because it's a Costa franchise on PandO,maybe.

It isn't a franchise, P&O just licence the name.

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I don't think they are the same as those in the buffet, these are normally full gateau size and they will cut you a slice of your chosen one, and the mid morning sarnies are specially made for the coffee shop, and the biscuits are also specially made.  However you can normally request one even without a coffee, but you won't always receive one.

I would receive one, trust me.

Well this is all news to me - so thank you all. 

I hate the buffet, but if you can pay for a semi-decent coffee (depends on your viewpoint, but at least it's not standard ship coffee) and have a cake or two with it that suits me fine.  Is that across the ship, or just certain venues?