Rude passengers!!!

AndyMichelle

17 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I have to defend the reception staff on Oceana, they were an absolute joy. 

We had a noise issue that they handled perfectly, moved us (almost) immediately and sent us a bottle of wine as an apology. 

They were always smiling and overly helpful, a real credit to P&O. 

Andy 

Andy, where were you on the ship? We are looking at Oceana for next year so I would be interested to know your cabin number so that we can avoid it.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:31 PM, groovechick said:

My adult daughter's petite and we've had several instances of her being barged out of the way/knocked over by rampaging passengers when queing for tenders/getting on and off shuttles/entering/exiting the theatre or other busy venue. As a result she now tends to cling on to me or her 6 ft athlete brother for dear life whenever we are in a busy area.

Two instances I've seen in our handful of cruises: elderly gentleman in a motorised wheelchair lashing out with his walking stick at anyone he perceived to be in his way and swearing like a trooper, this in the middle of the day in a mildly busy area; elderly couple at dinner in the MDR clicking their fingers at the waiter, shouting "Come here boy", talking about him as if he wasn't there when he was serving them and generally treating the lovely waiter like dirt, with the kind of attitude one associates with colonial types in films set around the turn of the century. 

Having just returned home we have decided there are two types of elderly people, lovely polite ones, happy to chat and share their tables when there are no others free and insist on letting those who are in the queue for lifts before them go first.

And then there are (the minority I would add) who are like you describe - we called them "the entitled". They barge past you to get onto a lift when you are trying to leave one, they insist on being first just because they are driving a buggy, they sit in the costa area all day long reading so those who want a coffee have no where to sit. The best one this time was in the buffet restaurant. They were three of us at lunchtime and we found a table for two next to a table of four. The table of four had one person sitting there. We asked her if we could have one of the chairs so the three of us could sit at the table for two. She objected because her husband was going to come back with his food and he wouldn't be able to get through to the table. The other side of us where the good ones as they were happy for use to use a spare chair from their table. Funny thing was when the husband returned he has no difficulty getting to his table.

Best comment of the cruise was an elderly gentleman replying to a question of whether he was interested in booking a future cruise - "June 2021" he said "don't be silly, I'm not even sure I will still be alive then"

• Like 1

One of the things that got me was In the buffet one morning I had gotten to a table first with my hand on the back of the seat, looked round to see how far behind me the kids were as it’s sometimes easier to help them get seated before I do, turn back to face the table and this woman proceeded to sit at the other side shouting to the other two she was with. She wasn’t bothered in the slightest that I was already there. 
I just kinda glared and left. Sometimes I really want to say something to people like this but I don’t want to make a big show of it in front of everyone. 

it wasnt easy to find one that day as it was a sea day and it’s definitely more difficult with kids in tow walking round and round until you get an empty one. 

we would have stayed away from the buffet had it not been a late wake up. Unfortunately we were woken up to be informed of a helicopter evac and then an hour later let know that it was successful. So I wasn’t in the best of moods to start with. 

2 hours ago, gazwag said:

Having just returned home we have decided there are two types of elderly people, lovely polite ones, happy to chat and share their tables when there are no others free and insist on letting those who are in the queue for lifts before them go first.

And then there are (the minority I would add) who are like you describe - we called them "the entitled". They barge past you to get onto a lift when you are trying to leave one, they insist on being first just because they are driving a buggy, they sit in the costa area all day long reading so those who want a coffee have no where to sit. The best one this time was in the buffet restaurant. They were three of us at lunchtime and we found a table for two next to a table of four. The table of four had one person sitting there. We asked her if we could have one of the chairs so the three of us could sit at the table for two. She objected because her husband was going to come back with his food and he wouldn't be able to get through to the table. The other side of us where the good ones as they were happy for use to use a spare chair from their table. Funny thing was when the husband returned he has no difficulty getting to his table.

Best comment of the cruise was an elderly gentleman replying to a question of whether he was interested in booking a future cruise - "June 2021" he said "don't be silly, I'm not even sure I will still be alive then"

How old do you have to be to join this old gits club.I'm 67,just wondering how long I have to wait.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, wowzz said:

Let's just hope and pray that any new contract is not won by Starbucks,  probably the worst coffee in the world!

Certainly agree with you there.  Its vastly overpriced too.  Costa is okay but I prefer Cafe Nero or an independent coffee shop.

6 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Andy, where were you on the ship? We are looking at Oceana for next year so I would be interested to know your cabin number so that we can avoid it.

Stay away from the lido deck and you will be fine. 

We were underneath the galley for the buffet, L330, it was horrendous until 3 in the morning then started again at 5...

It sounded like they were dropping and rolling beer kegs. 

We hadn't paid a lot so took what we were given, but it was unbearable, even for tolerant people like us. 

Andy 

33 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I'm 53 and already in Brian... 😊

Andy 

Oh great,do you get a handbook telling you how to spread this nori thingy so theres no queues in the MDR.Or where to hide your scooter when using the running machine in the gym.

4 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Oh great,do you get a handbook telling you how to spread this nori thingy so theres no queues in the MDR.Or where to hide your scooter when using the running machine in the gym.

You get to sit outside the lifts all day on your scooter shouting at able bodied passengers in the lift to use the stairs.. 

You cant get on the running machines because the able bodied people from the lift beat you there... 😊

Andy 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Britboys said:

Certainly agree with you there.  Its vastly overpriced too.  Costa is okay but I prefer Cafe Nero or an independent coffee shop.

Totally agree with you on every point. Although, some independents can be a little a disappointing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

You get to sit outside the lifts all day on your scooter shouting at able bodied passengers in the lift to use the stairs.. 

You cant get on the running machines because the able bodied people from the lift beat you there... 😊

Andy 

Don't forget I was a London white van/plumber man.Nobody will get in front of me,lol.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Britboys said:

My grandmother always used to serve that up.  I quite liked it as a child but couldn't face it now - far too sweet even without sugar.

Lol,when I was a kid my Mum and Dad always had a bottle in the cupboard even though we were all tea drinkers.Last time I saw it,an old bloke running a café in Leyton served it in the late 80s.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Thing is I, don't think it's coffee,it's chicory.

Very true:

Sugar, Water, Chicory Extract (25%), Dried Coffee Extract (4%)

But the coffee extract is concentrated and provides the strong coffee flavour cooks want in cakes etc - it's a coffee essence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/coffee_essence

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Very true:

Sugar, Water, Chicory Extract (25%), Dried Coffee Extract (4%)

But the coffee extract is concentrated and provides the strong coffee flavour cooks want in cakes etc - it's a coffee essence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/coffee_essence

Double yuk,lol.

18 hours ago, gazwag said:

Apparently as we reach old age there are personality changes, one of which is underlying personality traits which we suppress during life begin to surface. Why do we suppress them? to make it possible to exist in a social environment where compromise is needed. So that grumpy old man has always been that way inside his brain and he did not know he was supressing it.