Pool Towel Charges

bala1130

9 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Hit and miss. Done B2B2B, one week scan and note on door to turn back in at end first Cruise. Second Leg scanned them out, didnt when turned in and no note. Third no scan during Cruise. Got off Serenade today, scan and note last day. Hundreds rushing down turn in their Towels after Dinner

Agree. It's only been on our more recent cruises we've experienced it. 

We seem to get the note even after turning in all towels.  Think that is a standard piece of junk mail.  Haven't had charges after a cruise for several cruises now. 

Found that checking out towels ONCE (exchange when needed without scan) and turning in towels ONCE with the SAME cruise card seems to prevent charges after the cruise.  We have never actually been charged on the final bill, just twice after we got home (both times checked out some towels with different card than checked back in).  Charges were removed, but the phone people wanted to check with ship, blah, blah,....

What I've never understood about RCCL all these years is - do they really think people are desperate enough to steal some raggedy, thread bare towels that a thousands of people have had their sweaty bodies lay on for hours n hours on end? 😎

Yeah they're cleaned as are the cabin towels, but neither are something people should be taking home or for that matter bragging to their friends  "look at these towels I took from the ship, they're amazing aren't they?"  🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok, we don't have kids.... But, on day one we check out 4 towels with our 2 seapass cards.  We do NOT check them back in until the last day.  When we do, I ask the attendant if that's all of them, they say yes.  Never had a problem. 

During the week, we just exchange them at the station.  Exchanging without checking in/out. 

So, from day one we have 4 in our "care", and we return 4.  We don't have to get extras on a beach day, we already have them. 

I guess the fewer times I have to transact with the seapass, the few times it can get hosed up.

Now, this trip we'll have problems, just watch.  😎

• Like 1

Last year on Oasis, my kids returned the towels without scanning their card and the charge appeared on my account.  I just went to guest services, stood in line for about 15 minutes, and when it was was my turn I gave the agent my card, and the charge was removed.  Didn't have to say a word other than (good evening. I'm bummed because the cruise is over.  Great. Thank you and have a lovely evening).

I had a towel attendant tell me mid-cruise that I still had a towel outstanding when I turned in my towels at the end of the day. I just went through and detailed every in/out I had made and he reversed on his end then and there. 

There was zero doubt that I had turned in all my towels. Since I get 2 out at a time, I figure it was a mis-scan upon one of the returns (most likely when I was returning towels at the dock before getting on the ship in Cozumel). 

3 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

What I've never understood about RCCL all these years is - do they really think people are desperate enough to steal some raggedy, thread bare towels that a thousands of people have had their sweaty bodies lay on for hours n hours on end? 😎

Yeah they're cleaned as are the cabin towels, but neither are something people should be taking home or for that matter bragging to their friends  "look at these towels I took from the ship, they're amazing aren't they?"  🤦‍♂️

You wouldn't believe how many pool towels are "lost" (stolen)

3 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

It isn't just people wanting to take towels home... the bigger problem is people grabbing towels, laying them on chairs to save a seat, and never ever ever coming back to deal w/ them.  Makes other guests unhappy, and makes more work for the employees tasked w/ cleaning & clearing the deck.  And they can't keep a fresh supply available for others when people are leaving towels laying around, w/ nobody knowing if the towel is still in use.

How hard is it to take care of and return a towel that was given to you?  With people griping about the pain of having to do that, there isn't much hope for solving the rest of the world's problems.

7 minutes ago, styxfire said:

It isn't just people wanting to take towels home... the bigger problem is people grabbing towels, laying them on chairs to save a seat, and never ever ever coming back to deal w/ them.  Makes other guests unhappy, and makes more work for the employees tasked w/ cleaning & clearing the deck.  And they can't keep a fresh supply available for others when people are leaving towels laying around, w/ nobody knowing if the towel is still in use.

How hard is it to take care of and return a towel that was given to you?  With people griping about the pain of having to do that, there isn't much hope for solving the rest of the world's problems.

Not to mention all the towels that were just left behind at every port because someone didn’t want to carry back a wet sandy towel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suesnake2002 said:

And this is why I bring my own beach/pool towels!!!

I also check my acct before the end of the cruise. 

Now if I can only get them to stop charging me for drinks with the deluxe bev pkg. (And yes i tip)

Apparently not enough. 😂

• Haha 2

We check out 2 towels on one card at the beginning of the cruise and will just exchange them until the last day.  On port days we might do a third but we will also keep that and just keep on exchanging until port days are over.

I do have a story about a lost towel.  As I was getting on one port I helped this very intoxicated passenger to his room.  One of the times he stumbled I lost my towel.  After the incident I immediately called the front desk and they took it off of my account.

12 hours ago, matj2000 said:

This sounds like an episode of "Leave it to Beaver".

They are on a cruise, give them some slack...

Not a chance!  The kid should pay.  It's  about time to teach responsibility rather than "it's not my fault ".

• Like 2

5 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

And this is why I bring my own beach/pool towels!!!

I also check my acct before the end of the cruise. 

Now if I can only get them to stop charging me for drinks with the deluxe bev pkg. (And yes i tip)

Suesnake, I always check my account a couple of times on a cruise because I am ALWAYS charged, at least once on every cruise, for a drink and I have the deluxe bev pkg (HAHA, and I also tip extra for every drink). I just returned yesterday from an 8 day cruise and two days in when I asked for a copy of my charges, sure enough, there was a charge for a glass of wine in the Viking Crown Lounge.  I said to the GS person that I was sure this had to be a charge for a glass of wine, but could they check.  Yep, and the comment was that "this should never happen".  But it does, and I think it is because I pre-purchase the drink pkg and the bartenders are probably more used to the sticker on the card when the pkg is purchased on board, so they don't notice the DX printed on the card.  Anyway, as I said, I always check a couple of times during the cruise so I can take care of it before the final bill.

17 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

^ This towel protocol was what I experienced as well, in a GS on Grandeur in 2014.  I was hoping it would still be done this way for us on our Grandeur cruise next year (OS). 

But this:

...is disappointing to hear and dashes my hopes.:classic_sad:  It may sound silly, but I enjoyed the whole 'hassle-free-ness' of that little suite perk and will be a little saddened to not have it any more.

Sorry.

But we had to do the towel checkout and check in for cruises in Aug 17 and 18, and April this year.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not to mention all the towels that were just left behind at every port because someone didn’t want to carry back a wet sandy towel.

Oh, that didn't occur to me but i bet you're right, I bet that happens.

😞

20 hours ago, styxfire said:

I couldn't agree more!

Our routine is this - we go find somewhere to sit, the wife then unpacks the 'essentials' like reading,sun cream etc and I'll go get the towels.

When we choose to leave ( for whatever reason ), we pack up and 'x' number of towels are returned on our way to wherever we go next!

Like you say, what's particularly difficult about that!

On 11/9/2019 at 8:03 AM, matj2000 said:

Nope no slack.   It's about learning responsibility.   Kids today are given a pass on things because they are kids way to often.  If you're responsible enough to hang out away from mom and dad you're responsible enough  to keep up with your stuff 

• Like 3

My daughter was charged for two towels on the last night.  She had not even used them In two days and had returned them.  She went to GS, got the charge removed and came home to the charge on her credit card,  Everything was straightened out after we were home but really should not have had to deal with it.

12 hours ago, SRF said:

Sorry.

But we had to do the towel checkout and check in for cruises in Aug 17 and 18, and April this year.

Well, poo.:classic_sad:   Thanks for the info.  I guess I'll have to put on my big girl pants and go to the towel hut to check out our towels.

During the time when there was no towel check-out, I was one of the guilty ones.

I was on CocoCay with my two teens.  They wanted to parasail.  Mom had NO intention of parasailing, but wanted to take pictures.

I went to a remote part of the shoreline that had a view of the parasailing area, and laid out my towel on a rock and sat down to wait for my kids' sail.

Up they went, I snapped the pictures, then went to meet them where the boat dropped them off.

As we traveled back to the ship on the tender, I looked back at CocoCay, and there on that rock...……………….The Towel.

Oops.

On 11/9/2019 at 9:03 AM, matj2000 said:

Heck, if you want to stand in line to get the towel charge removed because your kids couldn't give 2 hoots about returning them, then have at it.  I have better things to do on MY cruise than clean up the financial issues that my kids put me into because of laziness and lack of concern.   I must have missed the Leave it to Beaver episode where the Beav and Wally were hauled down to Guest Services on the cruise ship so Ward wouldn't have to pay a towel charge.