Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
styme123

Are there EZAir cons or negatives?

Recommended Posts

I've never used EZAir and am thinking about using it for international flight from NY to London for summer BI cruise. Has anyone had negative experiences with it? I've been hearing positive ones mostly.  When I was speaking to a PCP they did say that if I ticketed my flight and a good refare price came up I wouldn't be able to use the promo. Also that the ticket is not really mine until I pay for it, more of just holding it for me, so seats aren't always guaranteed. Some of the airlines also charge for seat assignment which is not factored into the price. That price could be as much as $120 (Brit Airways).  TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, styme123 said:

I've never used EZAir and am thinking about using it for international flight from NY to London for summer BI cruise. Has anyone had negative experiences with it? I've been hearing positive ones mostly.  When I was speaking to a PCP they did say that if I ticketed my flight and a good refare price came up I wouldn't be able to use the promo. Also that the ticket is not really mine until I pay for it, more of just holding it for me, so seats aren't always guaranteed. Some of the airlines also charge for seat assignment which is not factored into the price. That price could be as much as $120 (Brit Airways).  TIA

Can't really answer your question as we are using EZ air for the first time, also flying to London (Norwegian fjords cruise). But, we immediately had seats assigned for our outgoing flight on British Airways. On our return flight, on a different airlines, the seats were not assigned at the time we made the booking though I was able later to call and got seats assigned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest negative of EZ Air tickets is that they are not normal airline tickets. Princess purchases them in bulk, thus they are called "bulk" tickets. If everything goes as planned there is not an issue. But if there are issues with the airline operations the bulk tickets usually get last choice of rebooking. It does not happen often but it is something people should consider more often before purchasing such tickets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We flew Air Canada this fall through EZAir. We did not get to choose our seats. We had an assignment when I signed in 24 hours before our flights. On our first flight, we were in consecutive rows and not seated beside each other. That was fine for a two-hour flight. We had seats beside each other for our flight from Toronto to Heathrow.

 

When we flew on Virgin Atlantic back from London a couple of years ago, I was able to log in and choose our seats three days before our flights by joining Virgin's frequent traveler club for free before we left. I could have paid to choose our seats earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Can't really answer your question as we are using EZ air for the first time, also flying to London (Norwegian fjords cruise). But, we immediately had seats assigned for our outgoing flight on British Airways. On our return flight, on a different airlines, the seats were not assigned at the time we made the booking though I was able later to call and got seats assigned.

Huh, when I try and pick the seats on my flight through EZAir it says to contact Brit Air directly to pick seats. Maybe it's because of the code sharing with AA. Did BA charge you to pick your seats? On their website it's $34 for the option and additional $84 for the ones we wanted in economy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frugaltravel said:

The biggest negative of EZ Air tickets is that they are not normal airline tickets. Princess purchases them in bulk, thus they are called "bulk" tickets. If everything goes as planned there is not an issue. But if there are issues with the airline operations the bulk tickets usually get last choice of rebooking. It does not happen often but it is something people should consider more often before purchasing such tickets.

I heard this as well. Also if there is a problem Princess wasn't much help to correct it. Where if you are booked directly with the airline they are more likely to. Not sure if that's true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, styme123 said:

Huh, when I try and pick the seats on my flight through EZAir it says to contact Brit Air directly to pick seats. Maybe it's because of the code sharing with AA. Did BA charge you to pick your seats? On their website it's $34 for the option and additional $84 for the ones we wanted in economy.

If it is a BA codeshare on AA flight, no seat selection.  

I have flown business LAX to AMS and return via Shannon.  Just booked LAX to Rome next summer at great Business fares which are not due until final. 

Key is to talk to actual carrier after booking and get THEIR confirmation # so you can deal with their website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another advantage is I can go early or stay late, don't have to fly into port ship is departing from, can fly into one city (or country) sight see before or after and depart from another. Can even add a stop outbound or inbound.

And if you are trying to book the illusive Biz cabin using FF miles, EZair gives you months to look while still having a confirmed seat.

Flight can also be changed/cancelled after final (until 6 weeks ?) in advance of cruise with no penalties

All I'm seeing is wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seat reservation policies vary by the airline.

 

o Some allow you to select seats when the EZAir reservation is made.

o Some allow you to select seats only when the ticket is paid for.

o Some do not allow seat selection until 24 hours before the flight.

o Some do not allow seat selection until you check in at the airport.

o Some charge for seat assignment in advance and some do not.

o Some that charge in advance have no charge starting 24 hours before the flight.

o Some have no charge for middle seats but do have a charge for aisle or window seats.

 

So the seat selection process is not under the control of EZAir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biggest advantages of EZAir:

o A flexible fare can be changed or cancelled up to 45 days before travel begins.

o Fares of overseas flights are significantly less than other ways of booking.

 

Biggest disadvantages of EZAir:

o Not all airlines are included.

o Not all flights are included on included airlines.

o Need to watch connection times. "Legal" connection times may not be practical connections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, caribill said:

 

Biggest disadvantages of EZAir:

o Not all airlines are included.

o Not all flights are included on included airlines.

o Need to watch connection times. "Legal" connection times may not be practical connections.

You missed one of the biggest disadvantages which I mentioned above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, geoherb said:

We flew Air Canada this fall through EZAir. We did not get to choose our seats. We had an assignment when I signed in 24 hours before our flights. On our first flight, we were in consecutive rows and not seated beside each other. That was fine for a two-hour flight. We had seats beside each other for our flight from Toronto to Heathrow.

 

When we flew on Virgin Atlantic back from London a couple of years ago, I was able to log in and choose our seats three days before our flights by joining Virgin's frequent traveler club for free before we left. I could have paid to choose our seats earlier.

Once you get your ticket # (which is different than the one that shows on Princess, call to get it) you can buy your seat from the Air Canada website or by calling them. I did. I only paid $25 more but wished I had paid $65 as that came with 1 bag free checked luggage + the front of the Montreal to SFO  nonstop flight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, styme123 said:

Huh, when I try and pick the seats on my flight through EZAir it says to contact Brit Air directly to pick seats. Maybe it's because of the code sharing with AA. Did BA charge you to pick your seats? On their website it's $34 for the option and additional $84 for the ones we wanted in economy.

Our British Airways flight was not a codeshare. And we did not have to pay to pick seats; they were just assigned.

 

We did have to call Virgin Airways for seats on out return flight. Maybe that was because it was Air France operated by Virgin Airways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, caribill said:

Need to watch connection times. "Legal" connection times may not be practical connections.

I have read on some reviews that EZAir can sometimes change your non-stop flight to a longer stop over one to keep their profit margin up. Meaning you book non stop, pay for your ticket then toward the time your ready to fly they change your ticket to a less desired stop over flight which might be cheaper for them but not what you want timing wise. The PCP that I spoke to said yes they can do that if they need to. They also said if the flight I'm on is canceled I would have to pay additional charges for a new flight. I would imagine the flights at the last minute would be very costly. I don't fly that often so I don't know know if that's the same if I booked directly with the airlines that would be the same.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Once you get your ticket # (which is different than the one that shows on Princess, call to get it) you can buy your seat from the Air Canada website or by calling them. I did. I only paid $25 more but wished I had paid $65 as that came with 1 bag free checked luggage + the front of the Montreal to SFO  nonstop flight

Do you mean once your ticketed and paid through EZAir or just booked a reservation you called.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, styme123 said:

Do you mean once your ticketed and paid through EZAir or just booked a reservation you called.

I did it once I booked my flight, paid months later. Flew in April 2019

Edited by Ombud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I did it once I booked my flight, paid months later. Flew in April 2019

Then you certainly don't mean ticket number, you mean record locator number. You only get a ticket number once a ticket has been paid for and issued.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I called BA about assigning a seat and they said they couldn't assign me a seat until I paid for the ticket in full. The problem is BA charges to pick your seat. So the price of my EZAir is not really the say $330 that I booked it for but more like $600. It was $150 to increase the economy class to just have the option to choose and $34 to pick and $84 to pick the actual seats I wanted in economy. I wish EZAir bundled it all together instead of me thinking that was my end price. Then I can see if it's still a good deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love using EZAir in that I can afford to buy First/Business Class.  This way, I get use of their fabulous lounges at the airports; get free luggage; priority check-in and TSA pre-check; get to pick my seats immediately on the Princess site with no extra charge; then the seats!  No problem with long flights when in Bus.;  I do keep close eyes out on my flights both through the Princess site and the actual airline site.  There have been slight time changes(5-10 minutes) and recently one of my international flights changed planes and therefore my seat numbers changed.  I was not notified, but it is my responsibility to keep on top of my flights. This particular flight, also, isn't until next August;  and finally, the best part, I am able to rebook my flights which I do on the average of 1-3 times per cruise, as the prices went down!  So definitely can recommend EZAir if you can fly Bus. class as have not yet had flights cancelled etc.  But I must admit, because of what I have read on CC, I do keep a close eye on my flights, especially in the last 40 days or so.  I make sure have been ticketed, same seats, etc.

 

Pooh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, PoohUnderstands said:

I love using EZAir in that I can afford to buy First/Business Class.  This way, I get use of their fabulous lounges at the airports; get free luggage; priority check-in and TSA pre-check; get to pick my seats immediately on the Princess site with no extra charge; then the seats!  No problem with long flights when in Bus.;  I do keep close eyes out on my flights both through the Princess site and the actual airline site.  There have been slight time changes(5-10 minutes) and recently one of my international flights changed planes and therefore my seat numbers changed.  I was not notified, but it is my responsibility to keep on top of my flights. This particular flight, also, isn't until next August;  and finally, the best part, I am able to rebook my flights which I do on the average of 1-3 times per cruise, as the prices went down!  So definitely can recommend EZAir if you can fly Bus. class as have not yet had flights cancelled etc.  But I must admit, because of what I have read on CC, I do keep a close eye on my flights, especially in the last 40 days or so.  I make sure have been ticketed, same seats, etc.

 

Pooh

TSA PreCheck is not a benefit of a business class ticket. If you get it and you are not enrolled in global entry or pre-check then it is something random that the TSA gives to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sure posters can come up with all kinds of disadvantages, but to me, the low cost for overseas travel and the ability to change and cancel up to 45 days in advance outweighs any of these disadvantages. EZAir or FlightEase on HAL has allowed us to fly business class whenever we cruise in Europe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

TSA PreCheck is not a benefit of a business class ticket. If you get it and you are not enrolled in global entry or pre-check then it is something random that the TSA gives to you.

The poster might be old. My in laws don't have precheck but they always get it and we think it's because of their age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fluffybunny22 said:

The poster might be old. My in laws don't have precheck but they always get it and we think it's because of their age.

 

Until about a year ago, TSA PreCheck was given to many airline frequent flyer program members, but once many more people joined the PreCheck program by paying for it, the TSA eliminated the PreCheck for FF members who had not purchased it.

 

Possibly this is still happening for your in-laws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, styme123 said:

I have read on some reviews that EZAir can sometimes change your non-stop flight to a longer stop over one to keep their profit margin up. Meaning you book non stop, pay for your ticket then toward the time your ready to fly they change your ticket to a less desired stop over flight which might be cheaper for them but not what you want timing wise. The PCP that I spoke to said yes they can do that if they need to.

This has happened several times in the past when the airlines told Princess the price for the non-stop would be higher, but the original price could be kept if connecting flights were taken instead. To keep the original price, Princess switched the people to the connecting flights. I have seen several posts saying this does not happen anymore, but I can't be sure.

 

They also said if the flight I'm on is canceled I would have to pay additional charges for a new flight. I would imagine the flights at the last minute would be very costly. I don't fly that often so I don't know know if that's the same if I booked directly with the airlines that would be the same.    Any last minute cancellations would be after the airline has been paid for the booked flight(s). In that case, the airline (not Princess) is responsible for rebooking you on new flight(s) that will meet your schedule needs at no additional cost.

 

see above in red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...