AARP_Gift Cards

richfret

Thought I would give the AARP site another try this morning and reviewed the gift card offers.  There are no TRAVEL cards in the members-only section nor in the general offerings so it looks like that part of the program is over with.  That's a shame since it was an easy 10 percent off of a Carnival cruise.  Luckily, I bought $2,600  in gift cards just prior to the shut off to pay a final payment on my current cruise and the deposit on my next cruise.  AARP made since a hassle over the transfer of accumulated points and then they discontinue the travel gift cards any way.  Would have been nice if they had been honest and just said we are discontinuing the sales of most AARP gift cards.  That I could understand and accept.  

Oh well, looks like I will have to investigate the Allstate site which has a similar program.  

I similarly made sure to buy my points worth of gift cards before the program ended, and have been looking since.  I don't think they were being dishonest, especially since they did try to offer them for a few weeks with the new program.  But I imagine it's not an easy thing to do--not to mention that somebody has to get some marginal profit on the discounted gift cards somewhere along the line.  I don't think I'll do the Allstate.  Hopefully something else will come along; until then I have enough gift cards for our expenses and excursions on the Panorama (hoping for the Black Friday discounts like the last couple of years), and some deposits on future cruises. 

I just enrolled in the Allstate Drive wise program.  I have already earned 15k points just for driving ( no hard breaking, keeping speed below 80 MPH and limiting night time driving)  Points are redeemed just like previously with AARP.   And each time I have looked Carnival Gift cards have been available, 100.00 500.00 and 1000.00.

8 hours ago, richfret said:

Thought I would give the AARP site another try this morning and reviewed the gift card offers.  There are no TRAVEL cards in the members-only section nor in the general offerings so it looks like that part of the program is over with.  That's a shame since it was an easy 10 percent off of a Carnival cruise.  Luckily, I bought $2,600  in gift cards just prior to the shut off to pay a final payment on my current cruise and the deposit on my next cruise.  AARP made since a hassle over the transfer of accumulated points and then they discontinue the travel gift cards any way.  Would have been nice if they had been honest and just said we are discontinuing the sales of most AARP gift cards.  That I could understand and accept.  

Oh well, looks like I will have to investigate the Allstate site which has a similar program.  

I actually like Allstate Rewards better.  You can accumulate points faster.  I used all of my AARP Rewards points to buy CCL GCs before they shut it down.

8 hours ago, richfret said:

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:02 PM, martinchem said:

The Allstate program is not available in New York, hopefully you live elsewhere or don't waste your time. 

I was disappointed when I looked into Allstate only to learn I couldn't use it in WNY...….hoping AARP comes back soon with Carnival cards as we are heading out in April.

18 minutes ago, eas2225 said:

I spoke to someone on their chat line, and he said they will be coming out again shortly.

This was last Monday.

We'll see.

That's what they've been saying on their message board since the first week of October. Like you said.....we'll see. 

Edited by Joe817