Cruise Critic Community
cscarlson

Sail With the CEO question

Hi all, just got a advert for the "Sail with the CEO" cruise next year ... has anyone ever been on this one?  and what would the benefit be?  What makes it special?

We sailed on Summit on these dates last year.  Booked fairly last minute at a fire sale price.  I suspect it's not selling well and this is a gimmick.  LPP was onboard our 10/20 Summit cruise a couple of weeks ago ( as well as a few hundred other Celebrity employees for conferences) and I'll tell you it did not enhance our experience at all, actually the opposite.

38 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

We sailed on Summit on these dates last year.  Booked fairly last minute at a fire sale price.  I suspect it's not selling well and this is a gimmick.  LPP was onboard our 10/20 Summit cruise a couple of weeks ago ( as well as a few hundred other Celebrity employees for conferences) and I'll tell you it did not enhance our experience at all, actually the opposite.

Totally agree.  I was also onboard the October 20th Summit cruise.  I agree that the experience was definitely not enhanced by having all these Celebrity folks onboard.  Celebrity certainly did a dis-service to their "paying passengers" by having these meetings onboard.  Some of us paid LOTS of money (stayed in a Royal Suite) to be onboard this sailing and we could not even get near the Martini Bar at night to get a cocktail.  It was like a mosh pit of Celebrity employees.  Same thing with Cafe Al Bacio in the morning.  Could not get a reservation in a specialty dining venue until the last 2 nights (when the majority of these Celebrity folks were no longer onboard).  I truly felt bad for the employees who had to serve these folks - most of whom had, from what I could see, a definite "me me me entitlement" attitude.  I did manage to nab a spot at the martini bar one night but couldn't stay long because I don't really like the "mosh pit vibe".  But in the time I was there I did not see ONE person throw the bartenders a couple of bucks although none of them had any problem shouting their orders to the bartenders.   Shameful on Celebrity's part.

LLP was onboard but unless you happened to see her eating lunch in Luminae or having drinks in the Retreat Lounge I think she pretty much was "out of sight" and did not interact much with the passenger base.  I personally saw her several times in Luminae and she never came across with any "entitlement" attitude with the waiters in there.....she was kind and gracious to them.  A lot of her employees would do well to take a page out of her book when it comes to treatment of crew.

However, pertaining to the question by the OP, I would imagine that on the "Sail with the CEO" sailing LLP might be out and about with the general population a bit more - maybe even giving a speech to passengers or something like that.  But not really sure as I've never been on one of these promotional "Sail with the CEO" sailings.

Edited by jcpc

I agree with all of the above. We did a CEO sail a couple of years ago. It was a Southern Caribbean cruise on a Solstice Class ship.  It featured a few premium priced events off the ship. We didn't attend those because they weren't exactly what we were looking for. We had chosen the cruise for the itinerary rather than having the CEO on board.

We seldom saw her and then it would be in a group hurrying by us, not a situation where you would stop her to greet her or comment. She did have a Q & A session in the theater. I remember one passenger asked her why Celebrity no longer had reggae bands on Caribbean cruises and how much he missed it. Would she please have such bands again? Her answer was, "Done!" I foolishly took that to mean reggae bands would soon return to Caribbean cruises. I thought wrong. No cruise I have sailed has featured a poolside reggae band since she promised to restore them.

Her biggest point of pride in that talk was the hiring and promoting of women and she introduced the first Nigerian woman who was training to be a sea captain eventually. She seemed like a very serious and intelligent young woman. I do wish her all the best. 

About halfway through the cruise I began to suspect the CEO was no longer on board, at least I never saw her again, not even quickly in passing. No more special activities were offered.  Frankly, booking a cruise specifically because the CEO is on board might turn out to be a disappointment. I don't feel the CEO is there to resolve passenger issues or to truly "meet and greet" except on the most superficial level. She is there mainly to market new Celebrity ships,  itineraries and projects. 

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

The last person I would ever want to sail with is LLP. I would be tempted to waste my valuable time seeking her out so I can tell her point by point how she has managed to do her best to destroy the Celebrity brand. While we in no way have the record number of sailings so very many have on these boards, we do have #'s 40 and 41 booked for 2020 and, based on our last four sailings, my expectations are more realistic on what to expect!!!!

This is confusing to me. The fact in just a few posts we have learned it is not worth the perceived value and the CEO does not follow through with promises said on past cruises. Does she not understand the internet and how a little searching can show this?

I can't see the point. There have been quite a number of these sailing and many promises made at the Q & A sessions like the Reggae bands noted above or the restoration of daily water to Aqua class, but sadly either she or those reporting the promises have memory problems. 

I received the e mail today about this cruise.

My immediate reaction was - no interest.

I read the responses that LLP posted on this forum a few months ago in a thread that dealt with CC posters’ questions and concerns about the Celebrity ships.

Her answers were totally in keeping with the company line ( as expected). Her tone seemed rote and distant,if in fact, she was truly writing responses or if it was a staff member assigned to the task .

While a vacation with LLP or any cruise line/resort CEO would be the last vacation on my list, I would think it is also not a favorite of any CEO if that CEO was expected to interact with passengers/vacationers on that particular junket.

29 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I can't see the point. There have been quite a number of these sailing and many promises made at the Q & A sessions like the Reggae bands noted above or the restoration of daily water to Aqua class, but sadly either she or those reporting the promises have memory problems. 

I was going to say, at least you may have water in Aqua on the CEO sailing 🤣.

Gag me with a spoon.  I would be tempted to also tell her how she has screwed up everything but, being a lady, I wouldn't.  I just hope she goes near the movies up top while they are BLASTING to no one there.

2 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I can assure you I do remember Lisa's promise about the reggae band because I cruise for the live music. I was delighted some one asked about the pool bands and I was delighted by her answer, eagerly looking forward to the return of reggae bands or steel drum groups as per her promise. It never happened, at least up until now. I'll check again on our Dec first cruise on Silhouette. Perhaps the one who forgot the promise was Lisa herself or it just wasn't important enough to her to recall her own promise.

Edited by Silvery Seas Cruiser

23 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Did she play volleyball with the crew, against the passengers, like many of the captains, and staff do ??

I don't recall that she did, but maybe she did and it just didn't get much publicity on  the ship. I will say that on Royal Caribbean, I've been on a ship when either the CEO of Royal Caribbean or the CEO of RCI did play table tennis in a tournament with passengers. Evidently he is an accomplished player. It impressed me a great deal that he would do that. I thought it was really cool. 

4 minutes ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

I can assure you I do remember Lisa's promise about the reggae band because I cruise for the live music. I was delighted some one asked about the pool bands and I was delighted by her answer, eagerly looking forward to the return of reggae bands or steel drum groups as per her promise. It never happened, at least up until now. I'll check again on our Dec first cruise on Silhouette. Perhaps the one who forgot the promise was Lisa herself or it just wasn't important enough to her to recall her own promise.

I totally believe the Reggae promise was made, just as the promise to restore water to Aqua class was made. Since those Q & A sessions have her on the spot answering questions that may be uncomfortable for her, I suspect it's just more convenient to give the popular answer and then fail to implement the action, or in the water/Aqua case do it for the one cruise and promptly forget it.

5 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I totally believe the Reggae promise was made, just as the promise to restore water to Aqua class was made. Since those Q & A sessions have her on the spot answering questions that may be uncomfortable for her, I suspect it's just more convenient to give the popular answer and then fail to implement the action, or in the water/Aqua case do it for the one cruise and promptly forget it.

One would think a staffer would take notes of promises made or suggestions and complaints, if any. Then the CEO could act on those. Otherwise the promises seem cavalier or empty. The passenger who was made the promise will feel the answer was deceptive or dismissive. 

42 minutes ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

One would think a staffer would take notes of promises made or suggestions and complaints, if any. Then the CEO could act on those. Otherwise the promises seem cavalier or empty. The passenger who was made the promise will feel the answer was deceptive or dismissive. 

The passengers who hear, or read the postings of those answers also feel the same. There have been many examples of non-responsiveness to passenger opinions, and I've ready many posts by passengers who feel that she's been less than straight forward. At any rate, I not only have no desire to sail with this CEO and appreciated the mailing. It told me which sailing to avoid. Sadly, under her leadership DH and I have decided to look elsewhere when booking our cruise vacations instead of exclusively looking at X when deciding to sail.