Holland Express Baggage Service for disembarkation?

marluvs2go

Hi we have always used this putting the luggage out the nite before.  I do not remember having to find it downstairs the next day and take it thru Customs???? This would be arriving Fort Lauderdale from Panama Canal and various Countries.   Please let me know your recent experiences and thanks.   

Unless you are doing self-embarkation, you have to put your luggage out the night before and claim in on the pier.  HOWEVER, some ports do have a luggage service which does this for you, but you have to sign up for it and pay a fee (it Seattle it was FREE).

In Ft Lauderdale they offer luggage direct.  You put your suitcases out the night before and you don’t see them again until you get to your home airport.   You have to to sign up early in the cruise for the service. We have used it a lot.  Last time in December it was $25. pp.  plus any luggage fees due to the airlines but if you have elite status or the right CC you don’t have those fees. 

• Like 1

Thank you!  that was what we used in 2016 and sounds right.  The thing I am very curious about is the overweight fees from United.  I am wondering if they even weigh them? anything one pound over 50 lbs is 200 to 400 fee? yikes...never had a charge but really would hate that...cannot see solution other than to buy a bag weigh thingie....Maybe we paid $25 per pp but wow I am starting to think it maybe easier to  lug it off myself thru customs and into the Uber or Lyft? they do not make you put them out the nite before? do they as mentioned above?  oh wait lugging two carry ons and two large suitcases will be too much.  thanks

56 minutes ago, Gigi1977 said:

With luggage direct - another ‘benefit’ is they ignore weight!!  So you don’t have to worry about 51/52 lbs bags and shift and reshuffle trying to hit that magic 50.  Just pack and tag put them out!! 

Do you have personal experience with this?

Yes I do have personal experience.  We always use luggage direct in Ft Lauderdale.  Generally we cruise from there in November or December and again in early spring March or April.  I used it last in December of 2018. As we did cruise of Viking in July rather than another Caribbean in the spring I have not used since then.  I will use it again this December and again in February of 2020.   

• Like 1

I just used Luggage Direct at end of October in Fort Lauderdale.  Best $25 I ever spent.  I know my bag was over 50#.  I put it out night before and didn't see it again till I landed at my small airport in  Colorado. If it is offered again on a future cruise, I will definitely use it again.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruzn single said:

I just used Luggage Direct at end of October in Fort Lauderdale.  Best $25 I ever spent.  I know my bag was over 50#.  I put it out night before and didn't see it again till I landed at my small airport in  Colorado. If it is offered again on a future cruise, I will definitely use it again.

Interesting, currently on the Koningsdam and we were told this morning that “the service isn’t doing it anymore”, and many others have asked about it.  Since you just used it last month....🤔

For those who may not be aware, there is a luggage scale on all the ships, usually near

Guest Services.  Especially useful if you are just a few pounds over, as you can relocate

the extra amount to a carry-on rather than pay those huge fees for overweight luggage.

15 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Interesting, currently on the Koningsdam and we were told this morning that “the service isn’t doing it anymore”, and many others have asked about it.  Since you just used it last month....🤔

Wow!   I hope it is not completely discontinued!   It made it so easy - putting it out the night before and not having to think about it again until we landed at our home airport.  🙁

18 hours ago, Gigi1977 said:

Wow!   I hope it is not completely discontinued!   It made it so easy - putting it out the night before and not having to think about it again until we landed at our home airport.  🙁

Mystery solved. Today we learned that it is not available for “our cruise” because we’re coming from Europe. In any case it hasn’t been discontinued. 

On 11/11/2019 at 4:42 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Question:  Can you use the VIP Luggage Direct (To your stateroom) if you're flying in the day before the cruise?

We can live out of a carry-on until boarding.

As best I can recall our experience from 5+ years ago (when we were going into Seattle 3+ days prior to our cruise), you cannot use VIP LD in the manner you indicated because the VIP operator cannot deliver the bags to the ship before it arrives and neither VIP nor the pier is set up to provide "luggage storage" services.  However, I can tell you that the VIP reps with whom I have dealt over the past several years have always been extremely helpful and may be able to suggest an alternative for storing/holding your bags until the ship arrives in port.  As such. I suggest you call VIP direct and see what can be done to accommodate your needs.  Good luck and let us know how this turns out for you.

P.S.  I'm sure you already thought of it but another "solution" would be to have your bags delivered to your hotel upon arrival , and then cart them to the pier when you go for boarding the next day.

Edited by avian777

16 minutes ago, avian777 said:

As best I can recall our experience from 5+ years ago (when we were going into Seattle 3+ days prior to our cruise), you cannot use VIP LD in the manner you indicated because the VIP operator cannot deliver the bags to the ship before it arrives and neither VIP nor the pier is set up to provide "luggage storage" services.  However, I can tell you that the VIP reps with whom I have dealt over the past several years have always been extremely helpful and may be able to suggest an alternative for storing/holding your bags until the ship arrives in port.  As such. I suggest you call VIP direct and see what can be done to accommodate your needs.  Good luck and let us know how this turns out for you.

P.S.  I'm sure you already thought of it but another "solution" would be to have your bags delivered to your hotel upon arrival , and then cart them to the pier when you go for boarding the next day.

Actually, I've found out that you can arrive the day before and VIP will store your bags until the next day.

Here's the link:

https://www.maketraveleasier.com/holland/order

Bags VIP Luggage Delivery To Your Stateroom
Bypass the baggage claim and begin making the most of your vacation right away. Have your luggage delivered directly to your stateroom! No need to reclaim your bags when you land. You will see them next onboard your cruise in your stateroom.

Arriving a day before your cruise?
If your arriving a day before your cruise we can store your luggage overnight then deliver your bags the next day!You can also have them delivered to your hotel by using the last option below, "Bags VIP Luggage Luggage Delivery to Home or Hotel".

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
My apologies for not returning to add this information to this thread.
We will definitely take advantage of this service on our next cruise.   I think we'll have our big bags delivered to the ship and to our home on our return.  (On our last cruise we had to drag our bags from the remotest reaches of airport parking and back again.  Not happy.)  We have a couple of 'sling bags' we use as personal items which should be more than adequate for our needs prior to boarding.

We will gladly pay this price to minimize luggage handling. 
Edited by RocketMan275

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

Actually, I've found out that you can arrive the day before and VIP will store your bags until the next day.

Here's the link:

https://www.maketraveleasier.com/holland/order

Bags VIP Luggage Delivery To Your Stateroom
Bypass the baggage claim and begin making the most of your vacation right away. Have your luggage delivered directly to your stateroom! No need to reclaim your bags when you land. You will see them next onboard your cruise in your stateroom.

Arriving a day before your cruise?
If your arriving a day before your cruise we can store your luggage overnight then deliver your bags the next day!You can also have them delivered to your hotel by using the last option below, "Bags VIP Luggage Luggage Delivery to Home or Hotel".

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
My apologies for not returning to add this information to this thread.
We will definitely take advantage of this service on our next cruise.   I think we'll have our big bags delivered to the ship and to our home on our return.  (On our last cruise we had to drag our bags from the remotest reaches of airport parking and back again.  Not happy.)  We have a couple of 'sling bags' we use as personal items which should be more than adequate for our needs prior to boarding.

Thanks for the follow-up info.  Now I'm wondering if VIP will only provide "overnight" storage or if VIP changed the service (to do multiple days' storage) after our Seattle experience.

Thanks again, and hope you have a great cruise!

3 minutes ago, avian777 said:

Thanks for the follow-up info.  Now I'm wondering if VIP will only provide "overnight" storage or if VIP changed the service (to do multiple days' storage) after our Seattle experience.

Thanks again, and hope you have a great cruise!

I suspect they will provide most any service you're willing to pay for.