Pressing on embarkation day

jwh

Does anyone know if I can get a shirt pressed on embarkation day and back in time for dinner?   I am presuming there is no laundry room with irons on Zaandam and if i take a travel iron it will be confiscated on boarding.  Is this right?   More concerned about turning up for dinner in a crushed shirt  😞    The $20 bag of laundry is a good deal and we'll make use of it for sure on the following days - its just the first night that is a troublemaker at the moment.

15 minutes ago, jwh said:

More concerned about turning up for dinner in a crushed shirt

I've heard Downy Wrinkle Releaser works.  But if your shirt is a bit wrinkled the first night you probably won't be the only one. 😊

You can always ask your steward if it's possible, but they're all very busy on that first day so you should not assume that it can be done.  If you're coming from a hotel, you could press it there and pack it so that it doesn't get too wrinkled.  There are tons of packing tips on this board and others for wrinkle-reducing packing strategies (starting with what types of clothes you bring in the first place).  Many people swear by layering things in dry cleaning bags, for example.  You could practice different techniques at home to see what works best.

I wouldn’t ask for pressing on the first night.  Just because I know they are so busy.

I use tissue paper and rarely have many wrinkles.  

You can also hang in the shower area and run the hot water which helps knocks wrinkles out.

For embarkation day, I wear what I wore to board to dinner.  It’s a smart casual night so as long as you wore something that works for dinner, you’ll be fine 🙂 

There is a laundry room on the Zaandam with and iron if you want to do it yourself.  The first night in the dinning room is so hectic I doubt that anyone will notice.  The dress code seems to be relaxed and many passengers are still in travel clothes.

The Zaandam is a great ship...enjoy!

Karen

Sadly @bEwAbGis right about the self-laundries, no longer there. 

I have left a shirt for pressing on the bed (with the laundry form filled out) on the bed before turn-down on the first night, and got it back the next afternoon -- early in the trip laundry is fast -- but as others said, I wouldn't count on getting anything BEFORE dinner. I would plan on an un-wrinkle-able knit shirt for the first night.

Highly doubtful you will get anything back before dinner the first night.  Generally, the cabin stewards take their break around 1:30-2pm after a very long morning on turnover day.  They don't return to duty until around 6pm to turn down beds and prep staterooms for the evening.

We send all but 1-2 of my husband's shirts out on embarkation day for pressing so they are ready for the week to come.  We've always received them back by the next afternoon.  We'll pack one shirt as carefully as possible to limit wrinkles for the first night.

19 hours ago, msmayor said:

Highly doubtful you will get anything back before dinner the first night.  Generally, the cabin stewards take their break around 1:30-2pm after a very long morning on turnover day.  They don't return to duty until around 6pm to turn down beds and prep staterooms for the evening.

We send all but 1-2 of my husband's shirts out on embarkation day for pressing so they are ready for the week to come.  We've always received them back by the next afternoon.  We'll pack one shirt as carefully as possible to limit wrinkles for the first night.

This is why knit shirts, etc., etc.  are so wonderful for traveling.

• Like 1

At embarkation, we had 5 days of dirty clothes (touring Europe).  The room steward had them at 1pm and they arrived back at 9pm.  Incredible!

I would not expect/ask for a pressed shirt by dinner, but the service is fast and excellent.