Cruising with others

mlmbar

12 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

There are no docking facilities anywhere on the island of Georgetown, Grand Cayman currently.  So if the weather is deemed too risky to tender the port is skipped.  I don’t want to cause undue alarm; the probability is low.

No alarm. Just curious. 

Thank you everyone for caring to respond and I feel a bit more relaxed. We are four retired women so should be able to handle this LOL  Yes, my best friend and I plan on talking to our friends as suggested. We are Elite and they have no status so we will be invited to activities that our friends will be excluded from. That will force them to engage in other activities. We presented them with links to Cozumel Bar Hop and Maya Chan. We have left it up to them to make the reservations or not. No idea if they did. I tend to worry and overthink. Hopefully I am worried for nothing. I do not want to lose these other friends but also do not want to ruin my cruise by having dependent people.   

I also say no to adjoining cabins or cabins right next to anyone we're traveling with.  I don't even care if our cabins are close.  I can walk and use the telephone.   When traveling with my parents, I'm always on a different deck. When traveling with friends, we'll be at a minimum 4 or 5 cabins away.

14 hours ago, mlmbar said:

Great suggestions. Thank you. We have booked excursions that we all agreed to and in some cases nothing. They know to plan what they want in Grand cayman, for example, because we are staying on the ship. Been there, done that. We also said we would always have dinner and happy hour together. We will reiterate that since we have been on this ship before, we want them to do what they want and not worry about us.  Repeat LOL

Happy Hour shared makes for Happy Friends 😎

14 hours ago, zitsky said:

@micheleata, Off topic, but I wonder why your stop in Grand Cayman was canceled?  Bad weather, choppy oceans I suppose?  What time of year was it?  We are supposed to stop there in mid December.  And do a combined dolphin/stingray excursion.

It was raining and the seas were pretty wavy.   We were dressed and ready for our excursion when they announced that we would be waiting to see if it cleared up.   Shortly after, they announced that the weather was going to get worse through out the day, and we left.   They did credit our taxes/fees back to our OBC account,  as well as the excursion I had booked.    I was hoping they would make a stop somewhere else,  but we just got another sea day.   This was October 6th.

Last September when we were there it was as smooth as glass.      

We are always active on the CC roll calls for our cruise and usually go to the meet and greet.  Also, we usually do private tours organized by me or someone on the roll call.  We either have friends we have met on earlier cruises or new friends from the roll call and meet at the elite happy hour prior to dinner and go to the MDR together.

If you plan your tours or outings together prior to the cruise, you should have no issues.  If others don't want to do what you want to do, no problem, just plan on meeting later on the ship.

On 11/10/2019 at 1:53 PM, Angua said:

We have cruised once with my parents, 2 times with my inlaws, and 2 times with our neighbors. I think one key thing for us is to NOT have adjoining cabins with the people we are cruising with.  We did have adjoining cabins with my parents and my neighbors once each and we kind of felt like we were being stalked.  They could look around the balcony divide and see if we were in, which kind of removed any privacy and we felt we had to keep the drape drawn.

My parents weren't too bad with letting us do our own thing, but on the one cruise with the neighbors when we were only cruising with them and not their kids as well, we didn't set expectations up front and did feel like they expected us to be their cruise directors.  We are going with them again in Feb, this time on the Panorama in havana cabins, but we made it clear we didn't want adjoining cabins.  They were understanding and actually booked an aft baclony a floor up (still havana).  I felt a little bad at being blunt with them, but since they still want to go with us i figure it was ok ;-).

The funny thing is now my parents may want to come with us too, so i will have to have that conversation with them as well ;-).  We are going to stick to the plan outlined by others in this thread, if we want to do the same thing, great, but otherwise we will meet them for dinner.

good luck!

So I thought i would give a small update to this.   There was only one Havana balcony cabin left for  this cruise, and it is next door to us.  LOL.

I am 100% sure this will be fine, I just think it is hilarious.

• Haha 1