Decorating your cabin door

gentle@spici

Does anyone go all out with holiday or other decorations for your cabin door? I found a thread on it a couple yrs ago but can’t find it now.  2 yrs ago we went the week before Christmas and I kinda got carried away with it and thought it looked really nice. This yr we are going the week before Thanksgiving on the Reflection and get off the Ship the day after. Does anyone remember if there are Christmas decor out before Thanksgiving or do they do it the week after?

B9F4841B-EF37-4F36-A1B1-086AC31A2EB7.jpeg

• Like 1

I do have a couple thanksgiving things to put up but wanted to mix in some Christmas as well. Probably not a.big deal on this cruise since we are the 2nd closest cabin  forward on deck 10. No one will see it but crew members headed to the Bridge. I do remember getting a lot of nice comments  the last time though. Thank You for the info!

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Just a head's up:  

67531833_703356686793910_4235716542819467264_n.png

Although this daily is from NCL but just read earlier today that HAL is also enforcing this rule.  I wouldn't be surprised if other lines follow suit.  

Better decorate while decorating is still allowed!  This may be your last opportunity!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Just a head's up:  

67531833_703356686793910_4235716542819467264_n.png

Although this daily is from NCL but just read earlier today that HAL is also enforcing this rule.  I wouldn't be surprised if other lines follow suit.  

Honesty I hope they do follow suit. Walking down a cruise hallway should not feel like walking through a college dorm with message boards and door decorations.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Honesty I hope they do follow suit. Walking down a cruise hallway should not feel like walking through a college dorm with message boards and door decorations.

We tend to have a similar feeling.

We enjoy the coordinated decorations put up by the crew, and prefer not to deal with the clutter that can result from individual door decorations as ship corridors are often not the widest things to try and pass people in, or worry about the creative ways people strive to set fire to their own cabin with interior decorations

Never really understood the need for individual decorations when the ships usually look so much more elegant without them...

• Like 9

I don't really have an opinion either way but I have wondered about packing such things as I have a hard enough time getting everything I think I need into one (under weight) suite case.  Can't imagine having to figure out how to pack the stuff I don't need.  I really don't begrudge anyone who tastefully decorates their doors.  It just speaks to their excitement IMO and certainly does noting to detract from my cruising enjoyment.

• Like 5

X   pax are not that  big on door decor other than Halloween.

Something simple and not a safety hazard should be ok.

We usually put out our Cruise Critic door sign..other than Halloween.

Holiday lights on the balc are not permitted afaik

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

We tend to have a similar feeling.

We enjoy the coordinated decorations put up by the crew, and prefer not to deal with the clutter that can result from individual door decorations as ship corridors are often not the widest things to try and pass people in, or worry about the creative ways people strive to set fire to their own cabin with interior decorations

Never really understood the need for individual decorations when the ships usually look so much more elegant without them...

I still have nightmares about the time college dorm mates almost set fire to the whole dorm after they decorated our floor using toilet paper and then drunkenly “accidentally” put a just used (blown out but still hot) match down on a trailing end after lighting a cigarette (not allowed indoors, incidentally). The alarm went off, which was not uncommon as it was an older dorm, and my roommate and I were almost at the door when our resident advisor threw it open and yelled to get out. The culprits stomped it, ran and alerted no one that it was an actual fire.

So yeah. I’m a little sensitive to it.

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Me, too!  I am really not a fan ... people can decorate inside their rooms if they feel the need as far as I am concerned.  

• Like 8

10 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Until the magnets get moved. I would NEVER rely on anything other than the cabin number to find it.

Indeed!  I cannot figure out how people would lose sight of the way to their cabin.  It's not like the cruiseline hides the cabin number when you aren't looking.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Indeed!  I cannot figure out how people would lose sight of the way to their cabin.  It's not like the cruiseline hides the cabin number when you aren't looking.  

Exactly. Or like the cabins can move!

Worst-case take a picture of your cabin number on your phone - or if you don’t do your phone on a cruise write it on a piece of paper and carry it with you!

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 3

The cabin nos do not include the floor..

If they get off on the wrong floor..it can happen. We look for the hallway art near our rm  and our Cruise Critic door  sign 

next week we,ll be in an  aft  Sunset Veranda so will be easy to know we are there!

Edited by hcat

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

These people who decorate their door in order to find it also probably write their passcodes on the back of their bank cards..😕

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, hcat said:

The cabin nos do not include the floor..

If they get off on the wrong floor..it can happen. We look for the hallway art near our rm  and our Cruise Critic door  sign 

next week we,ll be in an  aft  Sunset Veranda so will be easy to know we are there!

is remembering a floor number really that hard??

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

is remembering a floor number really that hard??

I think if someone can't remember what deck they are on, or write down their cabin number, then perhaps they should consider bringing along a care giver. Don't the elevator lobbies have the deck number displayed?

Door magnets have a habit of walking - sometimes onto other decks. Not something I would depend on. But then, I think most door decorations are like pink flamingoes and plastic gnomes on the front lawn of a mansion- they just bring down the property values of the neighborhood.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1