How busy is The Boatyard?

klfr

We're sailing on the Carnival Fascination in January.  I know that there are two other larger ships in port that day.   I've heard such great things about The Boatyard and I'm excited to spend the day there.  How busy will the Boatyard be?  How likely is it to sell out?  Is there a "drop dead" time where if we don't make it by then, we'll be out of luck?

• 1 month later...

Our Princess cruise docked today late at 10am, we get to Boatyard at about 11 and all lounges where taken. Only 3 small ships docked today. We just went down along beach and get ambrella and two lounges for $20 at Copacabana.

You can just walk and choose what place you like.

STAY away from Boatyard when there are moe than 2-3 ships in port.

It gets extremely crowded.

Althjough theyt charge fees upfront, no chairs/umbrella available.

This time not even spot on turtle/snorkling trip

No refunds given.

Harbor Lights also have issue with chairs/umbrella but atleast there you dont have to pay if you dont get it.

AVOID BOATYARD - their sucess has ruined them. AVOID.

On 1/1/2020 at 11:19 AM, hal2008 said:

STAY away from Boatyard when there are moe than 2-3 ships in port.

It gets extremely crowded.

AVOID BOATYARD - their sucess has ruined them. AVOID.

hal2008, 

I understand you are upset by how crowded the Boatyard can be on certain cruise days.  I agree it would be a good idea if they implemented capacity controls on busy days or provide forewarning about chair availability.

I do think your multiple posts are not as helpful as intended as many folks have a great time on less crowded days or get there before the crowds do (assuming your ship doesn’t port later).  Hope your experience didn’t ruin your stop in Barbados.  It was by far my favorite beach on a less crowded day last September.

37 minutes ago, soonernstlouis said:

hal2008, 

I understand you are upset by how crowded the Boatyard can be on certain cruise days.  I agree it would be a good idea if they implemented capacity controls on busy days or provide forewarning about chair availability.

I do think your multiple posts are not as helpful as intended as many folks have a great time on less crowded days or get there before the crowds do (assuming your ship doesn’t port later).  Hope your experience didn’t ruin your stop in Barbados.  It was by far my favorite beach on a less crowded day last September.

Thanks for your post. Differing viewpoints actually do help future cruisers make informed decision.

I did put the caveat "when there are more than 2-3 ships.." upfront.

I am sure it would be a good experience when they can deliver what they sell (on less pax in port days as you found out). But so would be adjoinning facilities that offer similar services.

Problem with Boatyard is that they now engage in unethical practice of taking money upfront, not able to deliver on ot and hen refusing refunds. I paid by credit card so most likely I will get my money back but will not get the time wasted there.

There ARE adjoining properties that DO offer similar service and are NOT engaged in unethical practice as Boatyard. I think it is important that future CC readers know that.

BTW, this was not a singular experience.  The tourist information office at the port gave subtle warning (using politically correct words) and mini bus taxi driver repeated that using blunt words. (Should have taken heed).

Taxi driver back to port in the late afternoon confirmed that Boatyard has becoome to well known and same story repeates when there are many ships.

The day you had good tmie at Boatyard, you would have had similar good time at the adjoing facilities too.

The fact that Boatyard induges in unethical practice by charging money upfront for services they know they cant deliver and then refuse to refund the money, is something CC readers need to know especially when equally good alternatives exist (for example, Harbor Lights)

But again, thanks for your post. Differing viewpoints actually do help future cruisers make informed decision.

Edited by hal2008

Our first time in Barbados in 2014 we went to the boatyard then found some locals with a boat on the beach and paid them $60 to take myself and my 3 kids that were with us out to the shipwreck and the turtles. Regarding the turtles, there are at least 100 people in water at the same time from a few outfits. The guys will throw bread to attract a couple of turtles. Then its pandemonium as all the seagulls/cruise people swarm on 2 turtles. Imagine this with being kicked and jostled. The boat we went with to their credit avoided the crowds. Back in 2018, we snorkeled with Barbados blue and luckily we again avoided the madness. 

Barbados is NOT the only place to see turtles. They are all over the Caribbean. Ive seen them in st. Kitts which is not known for snorkeling and believe it or not, Aruba. Carlisle bay has a lot of beach clubs if you like that. You dont need to feel you can get a "deal" by going to the boatyard. I had fun there that day. It was pouring rain, one ship, and we had a great time. The opportunity to see the turtles was a last minute on the beach decision and it was not with a vendor associated with the boatyard.