Yacht Club Changes

sidari

I don't give a damn about the alcohol as just about anything one wants to drink is readily available in the Top Sail Lounge, a few feet away.  I am not a happy camper about the snacks, though.  That was something that made Yacht Club special and a better choice than suites on other lines.  So, will take that into account when booking future cruises.  I'm sailing November 30 on Seaside and hope this has not spread to that ship.  Can anyone currently on the Seaside opine on this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I don't give a damn about the alcohol as just about anything one wants to drink is readily available in the Top Sail Lounge, a few feet away.  I am not a happy camper about the snacks, though.  That was something that made Yacht Club special and a better choice than suites on other lines.  So, will take that into account when booking future cruises.  I'm sailing November 30 on Seaside and hope this has not spread to that ship.  Can anyone currently on the Seaside opine on this?

The snacks and alcohol were both a nice touch. The YC is quickly losing it’s competitive advantage over other suite experiences. Pity.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Wow, what a difference from when I was on the Divina a few years ago. Unlimited drinks from the fridge. Alcohol or not. Whatever was used they refilled.NO CHARGE on anything. YC isn't worth the money now, as the Haven on NCL isn't.

I can't speak to the Divina, but from Seaside as of now fridge drinks, alcohol or not, and snacks, NO CHARGE.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Beer will still be replenished and now it's possible to order one bottle of Champagne. I'm fine with that.

I think it cheap of them to charge for snacks but don't really care about that.

That's really odd to leave the beer but start charging for a small thing of Pringles. Are you sure about that?

We are sailing MSC for the first time in January, and chose the YC, specifically for all the fantastic amenities. We guessed that it may be a one and done deal; we figured the perks would slide or the costs would go to out-of-reach status for us quickly. It seems it was a good guess.

If the beer is still included and I can get a bottle of gin at the start, we'll be okay, but it's still disappointing. We love our cabin time, frankly. The balcony is our favorite spot on a ship.

• Like 1

I am disappointed in this new "best private bar at sea" notice.  This is a false claim.  I have sailed on several different cruise lines that do offer complimentary spirits and snacks in the mini bar.  I can't believe that MSC would charge 5 euros for a small container of pringles.  We are booked on our first MSC cruise in YC on the Divina in January.  I expect to have complimentary spirits and snacks in the mini bar and will protest if charged.       

2 hours ago, Kmkub said:

That's really odd to leave the beer but start charging for a small thing of Pringles. Are you sure about that?

We are sailing MSC for the first time in January, and chose the YC, specifically for all the fantastic amenities. We guessed that it may be a one and done deal; we figured the perks would slide or the costs would go to out-of-reach status for us quickly. It seems it was a good guess.

If the beer is still included and I can get a bottle of gin at the start, we'll be okay, but it's still disappointing. We love our cabin time, frankly. The balcony is our favorite spot on a ship.

That's how I understand it but am I sure? No.

My guess is that some people just take home the snacks and the small liquor bottles and to avoid that MSC will charge for them. Just a guess.

There are lots of different snacks in the Top Sail Lounge and they will still serve you drinks in your cabin so I can't see why it should be a problem for anyone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

There are lots of different snacks in the Top Sail Lounge and they will still serve you drinks in your cabin so I can't see why it should be a problem for anyone.

I see the problem more as a "death by a thousand cuts".  It almost seems like we see monthly or even more often "cuts" to the YC experience.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

It's chintzy.  When you charge people that much money for a cabin do you also need to nickel and dime them?  People won't remember the charge...they'll remember this isn't "real" top tier, just mass market with some perks.  

• Like 2

From our mini bar in Aurea we take the nuts and pringles with us to the sundeck if we have not already eaten them in the cabin, there is nothing to stop someone taking home the single bottle of Alcohol either. Not having the plastic bottles is understandable given MSC'S pledge to cut usage.

Seems kind of like a cutback but a full size bottle would be nice and a better selection would help compared to what they are offering.

From past three trips the little bottles seem to be a thorn for the butlers.  Trying to get what you want VS the normal gin, vodka, scotch.  Probably a cost savings too and less waste.

Charging for snacks is cheap.

We finished our Divina cruise a couple weeks ago and our minibar was stocked with water, soft drinks, small liquor bottles, and snacks.  In addition we received two full size bottles of spumante or prosecco as we've always received as black card members (and which we always take home).  We always have our coffee and cocktails in the Top Sail and rarely ever take anything from the mini bar.  Thus I'm not sure what's happening on the Grandiosa.

3 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

It's chintzy.  When you charge people that much money for a cabin do you also need to nickel and dime them?  People won't remember the charge...they'll remember this isn't "real" top tier, just mass market with some perks.  

I have paid a lot more for suites on Celebrity, RCI and NCL and nothing in the mini bar was included on any of those ships. The YC prices is half of what the other lines have charged us. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

I have paid a lot more for suites on Celebrity, RCI and NCL and nothing in the mini bar was included on any of those ships. The YC prices is half of what the other lines have charged us. 

It's more about saying, "here's what's included," and accepting the cash, and then saying, "Just kidding, here's what is really included."

If it wasn't on offer when we booked, there'd be no big deal, but they said we were going to get it and now we aren't.

Overall, I don't mind the loss, but I do mind not getting what was promised. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

But NCL charge much more for the Haven and nothing is included from the minibar.

The only significant change I can see, after reading the original post, is that now you can get a bottle of Champagne and that's a good thing.

Drinks and snacks can still be delivered from the Top Sail Lounge so nothing is really lost, I think.

I agree that the snacks should be included but if I have to choose between snacks in the cabin or the possibility to get a bottle of Champagne I really prefer the Champagne. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

It's more about saying, "here's what's included," and accepting the cash, and then saying, "Just kidding, here's what is really included."

If it wasn't on offer when we booked, there'd be no big deal, but they said we were going to get it and now we aren't.

Overall, I don't mind the loss, but I do mind not getting what was promised. 

If I'm not mistaken, this change only applies to the new Grandiosa, not any of the other ships currently sailing (like the Divina, Seaside, and Meraviglia).

• Like 1