Yacht Club Changes

sidari

8 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

We were on the Seaside last month. We thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment and didn’t find it loud at all. The duo in the TSL are really very good and at times we would have preferred them to be a little louder. Funny how people can have the same experience but interpret it so differently.

We were on Seaside last week and the Meraviglia with Bea, the music in the TSL on Seaside wasn't as loud as Meraviglia. And yes, the duo were very good. 

8 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

We paid for the Premium+ package based in part on the menus kindly supplied by @Beamafar. Thanks, Bea! Now, if we find it difficult for the YC bar to serve us what we paid for, I'll be bringing this to the attention of the maître d', the bar manager, guest services, the concierge, our butler and even the captain if necessary.

We had no problem getting the higher-end drinks at any of the bars, though charges would sometimes show on our account.  There was no problem having them removed, however.  On embarkation day, the bartender in the Champagne Bar, Oxana, put a sticker on our cruisecard and wrote 'Premium Plus' on it so we wouldn't have any problems.  (She also made a phone call to the Bar Manager because it wasn't in the system at first that we had the upgraded package).

Our problem was getting the wines I had upgraded for and that was in the YC restaurant.  There was a policy of not allowing anyone choose from the wine lists.  I eventually ended up with unwanted attention from the sommelier as I gave up trying to explain that I didn't want the same wine every night, but ended up having it (Chateauneuf-du-Pape) all the same.  He even asked me how many bottles a day did I want so that he could ensure that it was there for me!  🙄  I'd hoped to try all the wines on the list over the course of the 23 nights.

I did get to try other wines (that were only available at the dispensers outside of the Panorama restaurant) when dining in the Speciality Restaurants as we knew the sommelier there from another cruise and he looked after us really well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

We were on Seaside last week and the Meraviglia with Bea, the music in the TSL on Seaside wasn't as loud as Meraviglia. And yes, the duo were very good. 

It was impossible to have a conversation at night in TSL on Mera.  One night, we had 3 different entertainers - a female on piano accompanied by a violinist, a trio with guitars, then a pianist who thought his voice was so wonderful he wanted the Captain to hear him on the bridge!!!  After the trio ignored my indicating to them that they were too loud, I went and asked Luciano (thankfully he was the concierge on duty at the time and was wonderful to us) to come and hear what I was experiencing and to speak to them about lowering the noise.

We arrived back to TSL after 12am one night for a nightcap and the first entertainers were still playing extremely loudly - to an empty lounge!  We always went downstairs for entertainment;  for us TSL should be a haven of tranquillity with some nice background music to create ambiance while having some enjoyable conversation with others.  On our cruise, it was anything but.

• Like 2

We were on the Meraviglia last month and loved the entertainment in the TS Lounge!  It was varied with several different groups performing including an amazing Brazilian trio.  The music was not loud and it did not impede conversation.  I hope they continue to offer such great entertainment int he TS Lounge in the future!

Thank you,@Beamafar for the explanation. This is super helpful. I will do what I can to try out the various wines on offer while we’re in the TSL and the YC restaurant. I’m wondering about Oxana, the Champagne Bar bartender. I remember chatting a few times with a female bartender on the Seaside last year at their Champagne Bar, and could swear her name was Oxana. Wonder if it’s the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you,@Beamafar for the explanation. This is super helpful. I will do what I can to try out the various wines on offer while we’re in the TSL and the YC restaurant. I’m wondering about Oxana, the Champagne Bar bartender. I remember chatting a few times with a female bartender on the Seaside last year at their Champagne Bar, and could swear her name was Oxana. Wonder if it’s the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think she's been on Seaside - she's such fun and very good at her job!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beamafar said:

.....Our problem was getting the wines I had upgraded for and that was in the YC restaurant.  There was a policy of not allowing anyone choose from the wine lists.  I eventually ended up with unwanted attention from the sommelier as I gave up trying to explain that I didn't want the same wine every night, but ended up having it (Chateauneuf-du-Pape) all the same.  He even asked me how many bottles a day did I want so that he could ensure that it was there for me!  🙄  I'd hoped to try all the wines on the list over the course of the 23 nights.....

Obviously too late for Bea, but my advice in this scenario would be talk to the Head Butler and request a short briefing with the YC Sommelier and Restaurant Manager 'off-line'.....making it clear that you want to select and try many of the higher end wines by the glass as is your entitlement with the Premium+ package. That way you avoid the unwanted attention Bea experienced initially.

The reason I suggest this is, because on the Preziosa earlier this year we had at least one couple with P+....he took it upon himself the first few nights in the YC to loudly make a real song and dance about wine choices, which was embarrassing for all (except him and DW apparently)....not least his fellow YC guests!!  The YC Director was called along by a disgruntled fellow guest on the 3rd or 4th night, dealt with the situation and all was relatively calm thereafter.

• Like 3

I have never cruised MSC before, but I'm looking into the yacht club and this post surprises me. I would think that the clientele who pay $5000 to $10,000 for a week vvacationwould not be the sort to stuff their suitcases with bottles of free booze and Pringles from the minibar.  That's sort of like staying at the Ritz-Carlton and stealing their towels. 

Frankly, if you're flying, I would think you would run the risk of having to pay more for your luggage filling it with all of that liquid than the cost of the alcohol as it seems like now even business and first class limit the weight of your baggage. And I know coach definitely limits the weight.  I probably tend to pack a little excessively, but I always have difficulty keeping my bags under the weight limit.  My husband and I went to Vegas a couple of months ago and we ended up leaving about $50 worth of alcohol in our hotel room simply because it was more than that for an overweight bag and we were already at the limit.

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

Frankly, if you're flying, I would think you would run the risk of having to pay more for your luggage filling it with all of that liquid than the cost of the alcohol as it seems like now even business and first class limit the weight of your baggage....

If you think about it, these bottles hold only 5ml of liquid and can be placed in plastic bags and carried through the airport!! Guess the only limitation would be the fact that normally only 1 litre of spirits per person is allowed. That would equate to 20 of those little bottles, in x number of plastic bags....

4 minutes ago, hamrag said:

If you think about it, these bottles hold only 5ml of liquid and can be placed in plastic bags and carried through the airport!! Guess the only limitation would be the fact that normally only 1 litre of spirits per person is allowed. That would equate to 20 of those little bottles, in x number of plastic bags....

Do they often check your luggage when returning to Scotland? It was many years since I even saw anyone in customs when returning to Sweden. 

Just now, sverigecruiser said:

Do they often check your luggage when returning to Scotland? It was many years since I even saw anyone in customs when returning to Sweden. 

All liquids are checked going thru' security when in hand-luggage, SC, which is what hamrag is referring to.

2 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Are you saying that 1 litre of spirits is allowed in the hand-luggage? I almost always agree with you this time you must be incorrect! 

No, I wasn't saying that ... I was clarifying that hamrag was referring to hand-luggage.

4 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

No, I wasn't saying that ... I was clarifying that hamrag was referring to hand-luggage.

Maybe you missunderstood what I asked Hamrag. I asked about customs in Scotland and assumed that Hamrag mentioned that the limit to bring back home is 1 litre. The limit in the hand-luggage isn't 1 litre so Hamrag  must have refered to all luggage. Or?   

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I have never cruised MSC before, but I'm looking into the yacht club and this post surprises me. I would think that the clientele who pay $5000 to $10,000 for a week vvacationwould not be the sort to stuff their suitcases with bottles of free booze and Pringles from the minibar.  That's sort of like staying at the Ritz-Carlton and stealing their towels. 

Frankly, if you're flying, I would think you would run the risk of having to pay more for your luggage filling it with all of that liquid than the cost of the alcohol as it seems like now even business and first class limit the weight of your baggage. And I know coach definitely limits the weight.  I probably tend to pack a little excessively, but I always have difficulty keeping my bags under the weight limit.  My husband and I went to Vegas a couple of months ago and we ended up leaving about $50 worth of alcohol in our hotel room simply because it was more than that for an overweight bag and we were already at the limit.

As I said earlier, I think this change is more to do about ease, possibly the environment, cost, and customer satisfaction.  You get one scotch, one vokda, one gin at each refill.  I really don't care for scotch anymore and gin stopped drinking in high school so that leaves me with one vodka. Asking butlers to switch to one type just seems to be a hassle to them.  Then there is the waste of the little bottles and disposal (and cost).  I don't ever recall reading posts about people smuggling these home.

If they let you pick out one large bottle for the week I'd pick out Crown Royal (not on their list) and be one happy camper.  Less work for butler, less coordination of trying to get what I want each day, less waste, and cheaper.

As far as the snacks, we typically have 3 or 4 in the room so limiting you to one small can of pringles is cheap.  Typically our DS will munch those down as a snack sometime during the day.  So 3 or 4 people are going to get one small can of pringles, candy, or whatever treats are in the mini fridge?

We spent 2 weeks on Seaside in October and our experience was not always positive.  My husband asked if the 3 bottles could be exchanged for rum and was told no.  So we left the 3 untouched in frig.  We did eat some of the nuts and they were not replenished 2 times a day.  In fact, we had to ask on day 2 after we had eaten them if they would please replenish them.  We left the empty cans on the counter so they could not miss the fact that they were empty and were still ignored. I am guessing the housekeeping personnel has a lot to do with ones personal experience.  Obviously it did not spoil our trip but I had read on these boards all these wonderful experiences and that is not always the case for everyone.  Also, not once during the 2 weeks did anyone offer to bring a drink to our cabin.  My husband went to TSL and got our drinks.  This was okay with us but again not what I had read on here.  

Just now, T&JCruisers said:

We spent 2 weeks on Seaside in October and our experience was not always positive.  My husband asked if the 3 bottles could be exchanged for rum and was told no. 

They've never had rum in miniature-sized bottles so they can't give you what they don't have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

Never seen it happen for at least a decade....however, my tongue in cheek scenario let's everyone see the extent of the stash and copious amounts might be confiscated at security!

Maybe you missunderstood what I asked Hamrag. I asked about customs in Scotland and assumed that Hamrag mentioned that the limit to bring back home is 1 litre. The limit in the hand-luggage isn't 1 litre so Hamrag  must have refered to all luggage. Or?   

The limit of 1 litre per person is for duty-free.  I believe that hamrag was just kidding about having 20 miniatures in plastic bags to get through the security (in the way you have to put all liquids, which must be less than 100mls, in bags.)

I see that hamrag has responded by saying his comment was a tongue-in-cheek one, which is how I understood it at the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I was referring to hand luggage only, in response to a comment about the weight in a job lot of those little bottles into hold luggage! Again, it was all tongue in cheek. 😉

Unfortunately for you SC champagne is not available in those 5ml miniatures. 🤣

Edited by hamrag
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I see that hamrag has responded by saying his comment was a tongue-in-cheek one, which is how I understood it at the time.

You got it in one! TBF, English is probably not SVs' first language...but his use of language is excellent.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hamrag said:

I was referring to hand luggage only, in response to a comment about the weight in a job lot of those little bottles into hold luggage! Again, it was all tongue in cheek. 😉

Unfortunately for you SC champagne is not available in those 5ml miniatures. 🤣

More's the pity! Just curious, @hamrag, in Edinburgh, how many syllables does "miniatures" have?

Edited by DCGuy64
Asking additional question

26 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

They've never had rum in miniature-sized bottles so they can't give you what they don't have.

This was our first time on an MSC ship and hopefully not our last, but until you ask you do not know.  It was a learning process for us.  At the moment we have 4 reservations with Celebrity and cannot look at MSC again until late 2020.

While I do not consume alcohol, I am very disappointed regarding the snacks. Not only do my kids eat the Pringles, we would save a couple of cans and bring them with us when we went ashore. Since we do not buy food on shore, it was nice to have the Pringles to tide us over if we were gone all day, through lunch. Now we won't have that little extra. Were we abusing the system, and the cause of this downgrade? Who knows...?