When to book excursions

Ellen495

Hi All,

We are cruising from Seward on HAL after a week on our own in Denali/Seward July 12, 2020. Never cruised before. I already booked Dyea Dave for Juneau. I think he books the train for us on the way down.

We want to do the helicopter/dog sledding from Skagway. Our TA told me it's too early to book it. The cruise ship offered an 8 am flight, but that seemed just too early. I know we should have an early flight - but 8 am is too early. When and how is the best way to book this? I never fully trust a TA and end up doing everything myself anyway. 

There are 4 of us if that matters. 

Thank you for your thoughts.

Ellen

Haven't taken that particular excursion but I know any excursion using a helicopter is going to have limited space and equipment.  I would check there cancellation policy and if it was something I could live with I would book ASAP.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ellen495 said:

Hi All,

We are cruising from Seward on HAL after a week on our own in Denali/Seward July 12, 2020. Never cruised before. I already booked Dyea Dave for Juneau. I think he books the train for us on the way down.

We want to do the helicopter/dog sledding from Skagway. Our TA told me it's too early to book it. The cruise ship offered an 8 am flight, but that seemed just too early. I know we should have an early flight - but 8 am is too early. When and how is the best way to book this? I never fully trust a TA and end up doing everything myself anyway. 

Ellen

Dyea Dave for Skagway, correct?  And, double check about him booking the train.  When we took his tour a couple of years ago, we had to make the train reservations independently.

My experience with booking excursions in Alaska?  Do it as early as possible.  I also like to work directly with the companies.  You can search these boards and TripAdvisor for recommendations.

There is also a great post by mapleleaves that summaries planning resources for an Alaskan visit.

Happy planning!

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 4:16 PM, Ellen495 said:

Hi All,

Ellen

I think you need to do a little more research. 🙂  Dyea Dave does tours at Skagway - not Juneau. I've done Dave's "Emerald Lake" tour twice.  He picked us up at the dock about 7:30-8:00 AM and dropped us off at the White Pass train at Fraser for the rail trip back to Skagway.  Before leaving town each time we stopped at the White Pass Rail Road office to pick up our train tickets - we had purchased our train tickets independently - Dave does not provide tickets.  I give Dyea Dave tours two thumbs up!  Excellent time trips both times.

I do believe you can do a helicopter/dogsled excursion at Juneau though.

Good luck!

On 11/10/2019 at 10:37 PM, disneyochem said:

Dyea Dave for Skagway, correct?  And, double check about him booking the train.  When we took his tour a couple of years ago, we had to make the train reservations independently.

My experience with booking excursions in Alaska?  Do it as early as possible.  I also like to work directly with the companies.  You can search these boards and TripAdvisor for recommendations.

There is also a great post by mapleleaves that summaries planning resources for an Alaskan visit.

Happy planning!

You're right! I meant Skagway! I bought the train tickets today. I'm so glad to hear you liked Dyea Dave because we're excited about that tour. I'm working on the helicopter tour now. Trying to get it through the cruise ship, but may have to do it independently. Thank you all so much.

15 hours ago, Ellen495 said:

You're right! I meant Skagway! I bought the train tickets today. I'm so glad to hear you liked Dyea Dave because we're excited about that tour. I'm working on the helicopter tour now. Trying to get it through the cruise ship, but may have to do it independently. Thank you all so much.

I know it's easier to do the excursions through the cruise line. But. 🙂 You're going to pay quite a bit more and you're most likely going to have exactly the same tour - there aren't tons of companies that do things like the helicopter tours in Alaska.  By booking directly with the tour company you'll be able to ask all the questions you want and get real answers.  Plus you'll save money.  Often quite a bit of money.

Thank you again!

The cruise excursion manager (I think she's the manager) said I could use my OBC for the helicopter. She said that she was putting it down as a wait list but it's not really a wait -list. cost 599 a person - I realize that's more, but IF it's really my OBC it's worth it  because I have 2000 of OBC which I won't use (all of). But she said call her in 3 days because she has to double check this with her supervisor. I realize she might come back and say the supervisor said no in which case I will book on my own.

Questions: If she says yes - should I feel confident? I do not want to miss the helicopter - rather pay. Second - is it okay for the TA to book it if I don't go with the cruise company? He said 2100 for the 4 of us through his provider.

THANKS

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2019 at 4:16 PM, Ellen495 said:

Hi All,

Ellen

Alaska 3 (616).JPG

• Like 1

Don't listen to your TA.  In fact, based on their recommendation, I would fire them.  Reserve any "must" excursions as soon as you decide that you want to do them.  Most of them can be cancelled if you have to and the best excursions book up early.

DON