Sydney Out of the Box Ideas

I have a day and a half in Sydney in January. I spent a week in Sydney this year and did most of the touristy type things. I've been a full day tour to the Northern Coast for my full day, but am struggling with what to do on my half day. Right now I'm thinking the Taronga Zoo with the behind the scenes with the animals. But is there somewhere/something you've done in Sydney that you'd recommend? Something out of the box?

Thanks,

Jamie

1 minute ago, jamieandsam said:

I have a day and a half in Sydney in January. I spent a week in Sydney this year and did most of the touristy type things. I've been a full day tour to the Northern Coast for my full day, but am struggling with what to do on my half day. Right now I'm thinking the Taronga Zoo with the behind the scenes with the animals. But is there somewhere/something you've done in Sydney that you'd recommend? Something out of the box?

Thanks,

Jamie

If you have a day and a half, and are interested in more than a "half day" and are also interested in the Taronga Zoo... They just opened a Lodge there so that guests can spend the night IN the Zoo, with the rooms overlooking a special "sanctuary" area.  This includes special excursions with the animals after the Zoo closes to the public, and again the next morning before they open to the public.  (There have already been some large tents - I'm guessing "glamping" type - for some time, but the "facilities" are shared, so that's another possibility.)

We are set to spend the night there right after our cruise ends in Sydney :classic_smile:

GC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Whilst I've been to Taronga Zoo free for my birthday, I haven't stayed overnight.  However people who have stayed overnight in tents rave about the experience.  The new Lodge sounds like a step up in accommodation. 

We've only heard great things.
And we'll report back in about 2 months :classic_smile:

GC

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Wonderful!

I love to try to arrange some special surprise for DH, especially when a trip is near or includes his birthday, and this trip starting next week includes it.

I've emailed them to make a reservation (or however they arrange it).

Do you know anyone who has done this?

Thanks *very* much!

GC

24 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Wonderful!

I love to try to arrange some special surprise for DH, especially when a trip is near or includes his birthday, and this trip starting next week includes it.

I've emailed them to make a reservation (or however they arrange it).

Do you know anyone who has done this?

Thanks *very* much!

GC

I don’t know anyone who has done it, but a bloke I worked with at the Airforce Base was involved in getting it up and running, no idea if he is still involved, but if he is, or it is running as he would have set up, it will be really well run.