Zaandam vs Amsterdam

vino100

The Zaandam and Amsterdam are both R-class ships, so are the same size, and pretty much identical in layout. I haven't been on the Zaandam in a long time, so can't report on its current condition. When I did sail her, she was fine. I loved the music theme in the decorations, too. 
The Amsterdam is one of the two Flag Ships of the fleet, and is kept in great condition; I sailed her a few months ago. She does the World Cruises, which sells out every year, so that speaks well of her. 

But are you sure you mean the Amsterdam, and not the Nieuw Amsterdam? The Amsterdam doesn't usually come to New England. The Nieuw Amsterdam is a very different ship from these two. 

17 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Yes, Amsterdam. After a repo from FL 5/26/20 she does Boston<>Montreal all summer before heading south again on 10/3.

Ooo! Thanks, Carol, for that information. I did not know the Amsterdam was coming to my neighborhood. Now I'm tempted to look up some of her itineraries and see if there is anything there I can't resist. 

• Like 1

Have sailed on the Zaandam twice and not on the Amsterdam. I was investigating New England/Northeast US departures and happened to notice that Amsterdam has Lanai cabins on the Lower Promenade Deck (3) while Zaandam does not. Lanai cabins are retro-fitted cabins with walk-in showers, private doors to the teak promenade, and reserved deck-chairs outside that door.

The experience outside of booking one of those rooms, would be very similar! 

1 hour ago, doublebzz said:

Sailed on both ships and found both equally appealing.  I would base my choice on price and/or itinerary and not on the perceived qualities of the ships based on inputs from Cruise Critic mavens.

I agree.  We've been on both lately and the difference would mostly be in the crew and executive chef running MDR.  And there is no way to know about that ahead of time.  We enjoyed our cruises on both ships.